Brewer Fanatic

2010 batting order

BREWCREW5

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see Escobar in the 2 hole and Weeks in the 5 hole. Escobar is lightening quick and doesn't strike out very often (makes good contact). In the 2 hole, he'd likely see a lot of good pitches to hit. His speed would also make it harder to double him up, plus put more pressure on the pitcher when he is on base and Braun and Fielder at the plate.

IMO, Weeks would be an absolute terror in the 5 hole. A 3-6 of Braun, Fielder, Weeks, and Gamel is something I'd be very excited to see.

To answer the question, I hope the leadoff hitter isn't on the Brewers roster yet. Fernando Perez and David Dejesus are two examples of guys I'd like to see in that role.

9th is the perfect spot for Escobar. He can steal bases from there. Our top 5 hitters should bat in the top 5 spots, and he's not in that discussion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

His speed would also make it harder to double him up

However his high contact rate along with a GB tendency make it more likely he hits into double plays. He was 2nd in GIDP in Nashville this year with 13.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I would like to see Escobar batting in the 9 hole with the pitcher batting 8th. His speed at the end of the lineup would result in more stolen bases because Weeks always seems to see a lot of pitches. Also with the power of Weeks it would be nice to have a guy who can get on base at a pretty decent clip before him. Its also a low stress place in the lineup so he can work on his patience.

With the assumption that Cam will sign elsewhere and Hardy is used as trade bait, here is my 1-9.

Vs. Righties

2B Weeks

CF Gerut

LF Braun

1B Fielder

3B MeGehee

RF Hart

C Rivera

P ______

SS Escobar

Vs. Lefties

2B Weeks

SS Escobar

LF Braun

1B Fielder

3B MeGehee

RF Hart

CF Gerut

C Rivera

P ______

Why would we assume Cameron is gone? If they lose a 4.5 WAR player with no worthwhile replacement, they might as well deal Fielder now and start building for the future, because 2010 would be shot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I have to agree with X. I love Gerut as a 4th OF -- he's perfect for this team as presently constructed. His D would be passable in center, good in the corners, and his LH bat of course fits great (enough pop to hit in/near the middle of the lineup, enough OBP to bat near the top v.RH) with a RH-swinging starting OF. I'd be fine with him as the CF if Cameron gets injured, but imho Cam is a huge priority to re-sign this offseason.

I know it was a smaller transaction, but the Gerut-for-TGJ move is one of my all-time favorites that Doug's made.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I assume cameron is gone because melvin said they were going to sacrafice offense for starting pitching. If we sign Cameron how can we afford to pay for 2 starting pitchers???? I think he is good for a team, but the bottom line the money is spent better elsewhere.

I assume cameron is gone because melvin said they were going to sacrafice offense for starting pitching. If we sign Cameron how can we afford to pay for 2 starting pitchers???? I think he is good for a team, but the bottom line the money is spent better elsewhere.

It's not that cut & dried though -- the money might not necessarily be better spent elsewhere. And I think you can apply Melvin's comment on sacrificing offense to someone like Felipe Lopez as easily as you can Cameron (though I admit that's a nice nuance to pick up on, wishicouldhit). At the time Melvin spoke it, I took that comment to mean we'd be trading hitting to get pitching (& specifically the offensive downgrade going from Hardy to Escobar). I hadn't stopped to think about the comment in the context of FA/re-signing guys.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Losing Cameron would be a huge hit to our team. I am not worried about losing out on pitching if we sign him though. The FA pitchers are pretty dismal and likely to cost more than they are worth. I think our best bet is to try and get a couple pitchers back in trade and hope some of our prospects are close to being ready next year. Hardy probably brings back a AAA guy since most teams trading for him will think they have a shot at winning next year and won't want to give up a guy they think they need. Escobar would probably bring back the best pitcher for next year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived