Brewer Fanatic

2010 batting order

BREWCREW5
ELCABALLO45[/b]]Carlos Gomez is a plus player despite being terrible at the plate. We would be making a terrible mistake to send him down.
Why I agree with this, Gomez can not hit 8th in the order unless he gets plate disapline. Imagine I guy on second and two outs...most teams will pitch around the 8th hitter to get to the pitcher. He will be hacking at those crap pitches and our pitcher will lead off the next inning.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would anybody want Gamel to start at 3B? So he can strike out another 1/2 million times. He needs to mature as a person (according to an article I read on jsonline) and he needs to become a better overall hitter before I can see him even making the roster let alone starting. Gamel will never be a #2 hitter, he's better suited to the #5 or 6 spot.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Welcome to BF.net rcon14 and CreamCity.

While Gamel isn't ready mainly due to injury, he has carried a high OBP (.374) in the minors. Even with a poor time in Milwaukee last year, he had an OBP of .338. He is well suited for hitting in the #2 spot.

He still has to prove himself at the MLB level, but based on his MiLB numbers, he would make a fine #2 hitter.

Rcon and Creamcity,

You will find that a lot of posters on Brewer message boards around the internet take the reports from Tom and Anthony at face value. I haven't met Mat in person and I am assuming you both have not either, but I do believe he is a professional and now knows what it takes to be a major leaguer. Unless you have met him, I wouldn't let a negative report from Witrado influence your opinion of Mat as a person.

This is the same reporter who just wrote that Edmonds might not accept if offered a spot on the MLB roster. Edmonds and Adam McCalvey tried to rectify that situation the very next day and it now appears as though Edmonds will be joining the team proving that the implications of that article were bogus. See the JS Online Sports Staff keeps getting worse thread. There is often some misleading reporting going on over there.

Mat now has to deal with a fan base that thinks he need to "mature as a person" and all he did to earn that rep was come up to Milwaukee, sit on the bench, and produce at an above average level. Seems like he now has even more to deal with in his young career.

And as others have said, he seems like he could be an excellent number 2 hitter down the road. I would like his swing to be a little shorter so he can make easier contact and still be successful in pitchers counts, but he may be our best option down the road.

I truly feel if escobar bats in front of braun he can be in the .280 -.290 range. Macha seems to like Gomez's stealing ability, so bat him 9th and when he gets on base he can snag second. In my opinion this is the best way for the brewers to put pressure on the opposing pitching staff.

I too like the idea of batting Gomez in the 9 hole.

Gamel has a good eye at the plate, but from what I've seen last year, he needs to make an adjustment in the batters box...a small one. He's too close to the plate and gets eaten up on anything on the inner-half of the plate. When he extends his hands, they're over the plate. I'm really surprised that he didn't make the change all of last year. Right-handed pitchers would destroy him with a slider, which shouldn't be the case.

If he will make the adjustment, he will be a plus hitter at the major league level.

Gamel has a good eye at the plate, but from what I've seen last year, he needs to make an adjustment in the batters box...a small one. He's too close to the plate and gets eaten up on anything on the inner-half of the plate.

His most impressive HR or swing (imo) last season came on a fastball way inside at St. Louis. I don't remember how he fared overall on the inside pitch, but he's certainly at least flashed the ability to handle it at the major league level.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Witrado has also decided to start rumors that Braun is unhappy in Milwaukee and may be traded. Nobody should pay much attention to what he "writes".
Not to derail this thread, but when did this happen? Do you have a link?
From Tuesday's Witrado chat:
  • Q:

John,

Oak Creek

- Ryan Braun is the owner of the worst contract in

profesional sports. Is he complaining yet? What are the chances that

his contract becomes a major distraction at some point? I believe he is

going to have a monster of a campaign this year. I think there is

almost no chance that Prince signs for 150 million to stay here, but if

he does, Ryan is going to want his.

• A: Anthony Witrado

- That's a potential problem I've discussed on the radio,

but as of now, he's not complaining. So I say the club rides this out

and counts its lucky stars for as long as they can.

As this "issue" seems to be more Witrado-centric than Braun-centric, the JS Sports Staff thread might be an appropriate place to discuss this.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Gamel has a good eye at the plate, but from what I've seen last year, he needs to make an adjustment in the batters box...a small one. He's too close to the plate and gets eaten up on anything on the inner-half of the plate.

His most impressive HR or swing (imo) last season came on a fastball way inside at St. Louis. I don't remember how he fared overall on the inside pitch, but he's certainly at least flashed the ability to handle it at the major league level.

Most of what I remember of Gamel last year is him watching inside fastball after inside fastball go by and then just go sit down.

Does anyone know where to find pitch f/x data on this? I'm not trying to dispute your recall, rcon, just genuinely curious.

I imagine some sports stats site would have it but I couldn't give you an example.

I'd try googleing "MLB player batting averages vs fastballs"

The data supports what you noticed, rcon. We should definitely add this site to the resource list if it's not already on there. Pretty impressive. FX by Texasleaguers.com

He obviously preferred swinging at the pitch out over the plate, or kind of down & away. However he did get pitched a lot more to the outer half & outside. I think the HR in St. Louis I'm remembering is the red square dot (fastball) underneath the yellow triangle (cut fastball) in the upper-right quadrant of the first graph -- right on the right side of the zone. Fwiw, here's the key:

FAFastball
FF4-seam Fastball
FT2-seam Fastball
FCCut Fastball
FSSplit-finger Fastball
SISinker
SLSlider
CUCurveball
CHChange-up
KNKnuckleball
UNUnknown

UGH. I thought I fixed that yesterday. If anyone can get the individual graphs to post, please do. I tried copying & pasting the images from the website, and then I tried the image urls specifically & posting them in image tags.

Link

For now, I'll just take the graphs out. You'll have to follow the link to see them, I guess.

EDIT: And now I see data points in the graphs. Still taking them out of the post.

Here ya go.

Summary - Pitch Result

Type Count Selection Strike Swing Whiff Foul In Play
FF 259 41.2% 63.7% 45.2% 12.4% 20.1% 12.7%
CH 115 18.3% 59.1% 40.9% 16.5% 13.9% 10.4%
SL 100 15.9% 59.0% 43.0% 13.0% 13.0% 17.0%
CU 73 11.6% 46.6% 27.4% 17.8% 8.2% 1.4%
FT 29 4.6% 55.2% 41.4% 13.8% 20.7% 6.9%
FA 28 4.5% 71.4% 46.4% 10.7% 14.3% 21.4%
FC 17 2.7% 58.8% 58.8% 23.5% 17.6% 17.6%
SI 8 1.3% 50.0% 37.5% 0.0% 25.0% 12.5%

http://images.yuku.com/image/gif/30535cf45f7c4cf555d14aec0596f3c7b060d4f.gif

http://images.yuku.com/image/gif/f4935d035a034cfa524a4a29009792b5f7d32ea.gif

http://images.yuku.com/image/gif/6181595c425a49099d6910580304b54e97bae22.gif

http://images.yuku.com/image/gif/339156554757450922c103aed9382f020546e7e.gif

You need to save the images to your hard drive, then upload them to an image storage service. (I used Yuku.) I suppose that's to save texasleaguers.com's bandwidth. To save, right-click on the image and choose "Save Image As..." (or your browser's equivalent).

The chart above the images is a direct copy/paste. If you follow TooLive's link, you can modify the chart and create new graphs according to lefty/righty, count, pitch type, and date range.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

With the way Hart has been batting, he has not earned a starting gig in RF. For that reason, here's my new line-up.

Weeks, Escobar, Braun, Fielder, McGehee, Edmonds, Zaun, Pitcher, Gomez

I would actually rather have Edmonds and McGehee switch, but I wouldn't want a lefty batting behind Fielder.

Weeks, Edmonds, Braun, Fielder, McGehee, Escobar, Zaun, Pitcher, Gomez wouldn't be that bad either.

As of right now this would be my line up for Monday

1. 2B, Rickie Weeks

2. RF, Jim Edmonds

3. LF, Ryan Braun

4. 1B, Prince Fielder

5. 3B, Casey McGehee

6. SS, Alcides Escobar

7. C, Greg Zaun

8. CF, Carlos Gomez

9. P, Yovani Gallardo

Archived