Brewer Fanatic

2010 batting order

BREWCREW5

We have so many question marks in the lineup that I don't think Macha can really know what the long term batting order is going to be. Will Gomez or Escobar get on base enough to bat higher in the order? Is Hart going to hit at all? Is McGehee going to be a viable 3B or was last year just a fluke? Is Weeks going to be healthy and productive?

The lineup is Fielder and Braun and a bunch of I don't knows.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't have a problem with Macha moving Escobar up the order after a couple months if he is hitting well because of how Escobar hit last year in the majors and his minor league numbers. If he doesn't hit well, move him back down.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Ugh, if a guy is getting on at that rate they need to be much higher in the order.

That was my first thought when I read that. What a disappointing comment. Even the Yankees' #9 hitter this season (likely Gardner), who will be much better than the AL avg. #9 batter, won't get on base at much more than a .340 clip. I'd have to think that anything around a .325-.330 mark or higher would more than make the swap worthwhile. I like the idea of a 7--8--9 of Gomez--P--Escobar or Escobar--P--Gomez.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Brewers' starting lineup figures to lean right this season, but manager Ken Macha said Tuesday that he could end up with an entirely left-handed hitting bench.

"It tests the manager, whether he can sit one of the right-handers down and get the left-handers in [the lineup]," Macha said.

I don't like the sound of that quote from Macha... 'Sharp objects are fun to play with. It's fun to see if you can avoid gashing yourself'

If this is the case, Hart would be my guess. With the success McGahee had protecting Fielder last year, I would think it's going to be difficult for Macha to disrupt that.

Saying that, I'm still opposed to this. Having Zaun, Gomez, Pitcher, Escobar at the bottom of our line-up could result detrimental. With Escobar hitting 9th, this doesn't mean that Gomez won't be in the 2 hole. I wouldn't mind testing this so that Hart and McGahee can make the bottom of our line-up more potent.

WHITE TEAM

2B Rickie Weeks

CF Carlos Gomez

LF Ryan Braun

1B Prince Fielder

3B Casey McGehee

RF Corey Hart

C Gregg Zaun

SS Alcides Escobar

P

This is the line-up for the first intrasquad scrimmage..

I like it, thought maybe the escobar would be at 2 and Gomez at the bottom..

WHITE TEAM

2B Rickie Weeks

CF Carlos Gomez

LF Ryan Braun

1B Prince Fielder

3B Casey McGehee

RF Corey Hart

C Gregg Zaun

SS Alcides Escobar

P

This is the line-up for the first intrasquad scrimmage..

I like it, thought maybe the escobar would be at 2 and Gomez at the bottom..

Easy enough change to make mid season if Escobar is doing better and seems comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, Escobar is perhaps looking like the best option to bat in the two spot at this point. Gomez hasn't really made a strong case. It's not like Escobar will be locked in there if he struggles in April, since Macha was originally talking about having him in the bottom of the order.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Look back at what I posted before. I have not changed my mind on any of our hitters. Zaun would make a good 2 hitter against RHP and Hart against LHP. Spring training stats should be mostly ignored.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Toolivebrew, you still think Escobar "should be nowhere near the top of the order"?

Absolutely. ST stats don't tell you anything. He is going to struggle to carry an OBP worthy of batting second.

Toolivebrew, you still think Escobar "should be nowhere near the top of the order"?

Absolutely. ST stats don't tell you anything. He is going to struggle to carry an OBP worthy of batting second.

I'm going to shock the world by disagreeing. He might not be the prototypical 2nd hitter this year but we don't have that player on the roster. I don't want a part time C at the top of the order and I don't see another player who clearly fits the position. The closest at this point is probably McGehee and that is only if he repeats last season. Escobar won't carry a really high OBP but he should hit like .280 with a .320-.330 OBP and that probably is enough.

after they do the smart thing and option down Gomez.

Doug will never do that, he traded a fan favorite for Gomez. No way he's going to admit that was a horrible deal and send Gomez down.

I'm going to shock the world by disagreeing. He might not be the prototypical 2nd hitter this year but we don't have that player on the roster.

That's one of the biggest reasons I want to see Gamel start at 3B

after they do the smart thing and option down Gomez.

Doug will never do that, he traded a fan favorite for Gomez. No way he's going to admit that was a horrible deal and send Gomez down.

I don't think its a horrible deal I just think there's no reason to have Gomez in Milwaukee. My guess is no one who cares that much that Hardy's gone would really notice if Gomez is on the team or not.

Archived