Brewer Fanatic

2010 batting order

BREWCREW5
JohnBriggs12 wrote

Sooner or later though, he's got to elevate Escobar into the 2 spot in

the order. He's tried everyone else there instead of the obvious.

No,

he doesn't. Edmonds and Hart are fine and probably much better hitters

than Escobar. That is before actually looking at the stats and

realizing both are out hitting Escobar so far. Escobar is only getting

on base at a .308 clip. He also pounds the ball into the ground and

would make many of Weeks singles and walks into double plays leaving the

bases empty for Braun. Escobar really hasn't done much to show he deserves to be #2 and he isn't projected to. Edmonds and Hart platooned are probably the best #2 option.

Escobar is getting on at a .354 clip batting in front of the pitcher. And where are you getting this double play stuff or that he doesn't take pitches? He's been up 8 times with a runner on first and less than 2 outs and he's hit into 0 double plays. I repeat, that's zero. Furthermore Escobar has yet to hit into a double play in 186 major league plate appearances. He's hit 41 balls in play this year, 21 of which were to the OF. That he can put the ball in play makes him an excellent hit and run guy with Weeks on first too. As for him not taking pitches, he's gotten to 3 balls in 10 of his 48 plate appearances. He's only put the first pitch in play 5 times.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Escobar puts the ball on the ground a lot. 50% so far in his MLB career. That is more than Kendall. He also grounded into 13 double plays in AAA last year. 2nd on the AAA team.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

JohnBriggs12 wrote

Sooner or later though, he's got to elevate Escobar into the 2 spot in

the order. He's tried everyone else there instead of the obvious.

No,

he doesn't. Edmonds and Hart are fine and probably much better hitters

than Escobar. That is before actually looking at the stats and

realizing both are out hitting Escobar so far. Escobar is only getting

on base at a .308 clip. He also pounds the ball into the ground and

would make many of Weeks singles and walks into double plays leaving the

bases empty for Braun. Escobar really hasn't done much to show he deserves to be #2 and he isn't projected to. Edmonds and Hart platooned are probably the best #2 option.

Escobar is getting on at a .354 clip batting in front of the pitcher. And where are you getting this double play stuff or that he doesn't take pitches? He's been up 8 times with a runner on first and less than 2 outs and he's hit into 0 double plays. I repeat, that's zero. Furthermore Escobar has yet to hit into a double play in 186 major league plate appearances. He's hit 41 balls in play this year, 21 of which were to the OF. That he can put the ball in play makes him an excellent hit and run guy with Weeks on first too. As for him not taking pitches, he's gotten to 3 balls in 10 of his 48 plate appearances. He's only put the first pitch in play 5 times.
Actually, Escobar hit into a double play against the Cardinals on April 11th this year. It was on a a soft line drive, but it still happened.

I'm excited about what Alcides has done so far this year, but I agree with logan that he hits a lot of balls on the ground. They might be finding holes right now for triples, but he will hit into his fair share of DPs.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about this @ work today (rather then doing acutual work)...

What about moving Ryan up to the #2 and having Casey hit 3rd?

1. Rickie

2. Ryan

3. Casey

4. Prince

I like it, but batting Ryan #2 would seem to be too progressive for any manager in the majors right now. Who would you suggest hitting 5th if Casey is #3?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

After Prince, my lineup would tail off a bit:

#5 The RF (Hart/Edmonds/Gerut) based on the pitcher

#6 The CF (Gomez, et al)

#7 Escobar

#8 The Catcher

#9 P

This would assume that Ken would play more match-ups via the opposing starter from the #5 down.

After thinking about this, my impression is the 'Crew is really in need of one more consistant hitter to come forth.

1. Weeks - 2B

2. Zaun/Kottaras - C

3. Braun - LF

4. Fielder - 1B

5. McGehee - 3B

6. Hart/Edmonds - RF

7. Escobar - SS

8. Gomez - CF

9. Pitcher

If Edmonds is in CF and Hart in RF then Escobar bats 8th and Hart bats 7th. Just my thoughts.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• 2 weeks later...
Honestly Macha has it pretty simple for the 2-slot imo. Hart v. lefties & Edmonds or Gerut v. righties. Yet he still manages to put two of the worst possible choices there in Escobar & Gomez.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Escobar, aside from the BB last night, was really bad.
He had a triple too. I do not get why Weeks does not bunt more with his speed. I honestly think Phil Garner could win with this team by letting or having these guys use their speed.

I will too, but I still don't believe that Escobar is a good enough hitter to warrant batting in the #2 spot, and like I mentioned I think there are good (healthy) candidates in Hart & Gerut, depending upon the handedness of the pitcher. Plus, my comment was exclusively about one game. I can't personally get too excited about Escobar's triple last night. That looked more like a ball Bruce misplayed/misjudged than a well-hit ball. Though I will acknowledge that a lot of triples come from misplays or caroms.

So far I've been pleasantly surprised by Escobar's discipline, but definitely disappointed in his contact ability. I wasn't expecting him to hit above .300 this season like he did in his callup last season, but I was definitely not expecting him to struggle as much as he has. I hope we see him start to turn that around, and with a nearly .250 BABIP so far combined with a solid LD%, I think he will.

Escobar's up to date in the 2 hole (19 PA): .412/.444/.588.

An argument can be made that he actually should be leading off because here's his splits leading off an inning: .480/.519/.800.

Compare that to Weeks leading off an inning: .200/.309/.300.

TooLiveBrew is as off base on Escobar as Braun was last night. Escobar is not really stinging the ball consistently yet (though he will), but because he sprays the ball all over, he's not easy to defense. He also has the speed to beat out slow rollers on the infield. Escobar's hit since he was signed at age 17. He's going to hit. Once Braun and Fielder both have it going behind him, he's going to really take off.

Batting Escobar in the 8 spot hindered him. He belongs at or near the top of the order.

TooLiveBrew is as off base on Escobar as Braun was last night.

You're right -- 19 plate appearances clearly settle this matter.

I'm very happy to see Escobar doing well, but I absolutely don't believe he will sustain production worthy of hitting #2 (though I of course hope he does)

Escobar is a good contact hitter, but it seems he rarely hits the ball hard. I agree with TLB that he's not a good enough hitter to hit in the 2 spot yet.

I'm hoping by next year he'll be ready to take over the leadoff spot. If he can get his OBP in that .340 to .360 range he'd be perfect for it.

Edit: And Briggs, the not getting enough pitches to hit in the 8 hole myth has been debunked for years now. Sure, it might get in a hitters head. I can buy that. But someone brought up the stats when JJ was whining about it a couple years ago. They actually get MORE pitches to hit, as the other team wants the pitcher leading off if possible.

Well, he is slugging .389, so "some." He really could stand to get his walk rate up. Only .289 OBP.

With the way Hart has been hitting and getting on lately, I wonder if putting him in the 2 spot would be crazy?

I'd also like to see someone else batting lead off, but I have no idea who. Rickie is just really slumping badly lately. Batting average is down to .236.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived