2. Escobar

3. Braun

4. Fielder

5. Zaun

6. McGehee

7. Edmonds

8. Gomez

9. Gallardo

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As of right now this would be my line up for Monday

1. 2B, Rickie Weeks

2. RF, Jim Edmonds

3. LF, Ryan Braun

4. 1B, Prince Fielder

5. 3B, Casey McGehee

6. SS, Alcides Escobar

7. C, Greg Zaun

8. CF, Carlos Gomez

9. P, Yovani Gallardo

I would swap Zaun & Escobar against righties, & use this against lefties. Very nice.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm hoping for...

Weeks

Escobar

Braun

Fielder

McGehee

Edmonds/Hart (LH/RH platton)

Zaun

Gomez

PITCHER SLOT

Weeks is gonna be the leadoff guy. Gomez can't get on base enough, even though he's almost a cinch SB every time he gets on, he doesn't get on enough. Escobar has a high BA which is more than Gomez can say and Escobar can steal quite a few bases as well. Braun/Fielder 3-4 is obvious. I say Edmonds 5th if McGehee struggles when it's a righty, but if McGehee hits .280 with 22-25 HRs I'll be ok with him in the 5-hole. The Edmonds/Hart platton would get us the best of both worlds. Zaun in the 7-hole, because he has been lighting it up this spring and is a better pure hitter than Gomez at this point. Gomez in the 8-spot to hide his low OBP, we could hit him 9th as well and I'd be good with that, but I think that's less likely to happen, maybe when Yo pitches.

As of right now this would be my line up for Monday

1. 2B, Rickie Weeks

2. RF, Jim Edmonds

3. LF, Ryan Braun

4. 1B, Prince Fielder

5. 3B, Casey McGehee

6. SS, Alcides Escobar

7. C, Greg Zaun

8. CF, Carlos Gomez

9. P, Yovani Gallardo

I would swap Zaun & Escobar against righties, & use this against lefties. Very nice.
I would swap Hart for Edmonds against lefties and move Zaun up to #2.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

He should put up a good OBP. I see no reason not to bat him #2. Escobar is the one I really don't want to see #2. The way he pounds the ball into the ground is going to lead to a lot of double plays.

I blame Wang.

You expect them to bat Gomez 9th? Wow... i wish i could expect that.
Macha said in an interview that he was not going to bat the pitcher 8th.

Here's what I would be interested in seeing (with a little help from the lineup tool):

Weeks

Fielder

Escobar

Braun

Hart

Gomez

Zaun

McGehee

Pitcher

I seriously have to question how good that lineup tool is considering even a very pessimistic projection for McGehee is still much better than an optimistic projection for either Escobar or Gomez. I really don't like the lineups from the lineup tools from a few pages back either. Fielder #2 adn Braun #4 makes some sense. Gomez and Escobar getting a lot more at bats than Zaun and McGehee doesn't.

I blame Wang.

I was using my own projections to fill out the tool. I used a pretty pessimistic projection for McGehee and a more optimistic one for Hart. Also, this wasn't the top run producing lineup, just the one that I liked the most, especially the way 1-4 was spaced out.

EDIT: I don't think it's too crazy to think that McGehee will have a lower OBP than Gomez and Escobar. Between the three of them McGehee has the lowest career minor league OBP (Yes really). And Zaun has a career SLG of .388, not to mention that his age has that number declining. I think you're too high on McGehee and Zaun.

Most Projections of Escobar and Gomez have around a .328 OBP. Zaun is in the high .330's or low .340 with better power than either. Most projections don't have Gomez cracking a .700 OPS. Even the worst have McGehee over that. Most projections of Escobar have him around .700 OPS or below. The only one that doesn't is MARCEL and that one has McGehee at .814 and Escobar at .775.

I think there is good reason to think McGehee could have a better OBP than either given his plate discipline compared to theirs. They rely on getting hits, he doesn't.

I blame Wang.

Well opening day its:

Weeks

Gomez

Braun

Fielder

Edmonds

McGehee

Zaun

Escobar

Gallardo

Don't exactly agree with the refusal to swap the pitcher/8th man but I'll deal. Not quite sure why we go Fielder Edmonds back to back as well. That's nearly all our L hitters in the lineup back to back. I think that due to weeks, who is not a traditional lead off man, our 9 should be considered our lead off man after the first ABs.

As bad as it seems I am starting to agree with Gomez in the two hole. He hits a lot of balls hard and in the air. He can bunt for a base and to move weeks if he gets on. He's never a GIDP threat. Escobar is more of a GIDP threat as he mashes a lot of ground balls and Zaun is a GIDP threat for his lack of speed.

Edmonds at #2 makes a lot more sense, as does McGehee--Zaun--Gomez/Escobar at 5--6--7, at least against RHPing. But of course managers get caught up in things like "he can move the runner over" & "he can lay down the bunt" -- seriously? You want your #2 hitting bunting?

I would have preferred Edmonds or Zaun #2. That way we split up the lefties. I think that is more important than "protection" for Fielder in the lineup. You can't bring in a LOOGY to pitch to the guy ahead of Braun and let him also pitch to Braun. That means if you want to use your LOOGY you have to wait for Fielder or IBB Braun.

I blame Wang.

Yeah, Gomez was terrific today. The first single (btw. 3B & SS) wasn't really, but aside from that he was fun to watch. How about that no-doubt, bat-flip HR? That made me chuckle.

Actually, I partly agree that I think it would be better to have Gomez bat 8th in the lineup to start the year (with the idea he could more easily get on base and advance on a bunt from the pitcher, etc). My point was basically that if he keeps showing the offense like he did yesterday, I doubt anyone is going to complain much.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived