Brewer Fanatic

Winter Ball Thread

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Hernan Iribarren is leading off and in left field in a Venezuelan season opener tonight for the Cardenales de Lara. Iribarren is on the 40-man, but out of options. Soon-to-be free agent OF Freddy Parejo and C/OF Anderson de la Rosa are teammates of Hernan's.

Another scheduled free agent, Adam Heether, is with Leones del Caracas, the same team Mat Gamel is joining in November. Adam's hitting cleanup tonight.

IF Allixon Cequea is on the Caribes de Anzoategui roster.

Mexico also begins its winter season tonight, no Brewers on those rosters as of this time.

The Dominican and Puerto Rican Leagues begin later on, we'll keep you posted...

I personally don't plan on providing daily updates, but will pop in from time to time.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heether is picking up where he left off. Through 3 (almost complete) games, he is batting .444 with 4 hits, 1 HR, 2BB and 1K.

Hernan hit a HR in his first game. He also had a single, a walk and 2K.

Nothing much to report on any other players.

Not if Counsell is back. Hernan could still make it as a backup OF or all-around utility man though.

If Craig returns, they'll probably go with a RH bat as the other reserve.

I disagree. Catalanotto and Counsell both returning might jeopardize a spot for Iribarren, but not Counsell on his own.. I suspect Gerut is going to be in a CF platoon situation with someone.

Iribarren has a lot going for him. He's coming off a really good AAA season (.311/.362/.412) with only 5 errors in 98 games at 2B. He'll also be cheap until he's 29. No chance he'd clear waivers. If he's not traded (and that's a possibilty too), I'd give him a 90% chance of being with Brewers on opening day. Given some uncertainty about Weeks, and if Lopez isn't back, Iribarren is next in line to be 2010's McGehee.

Heether, on the other hand, would be the other cheap contender for the 6th infielder spot, but he'll have all his options remaining so he'll be the guy who's used to go back and forth as did Iribarren for a couple years to fill in as guys go on DL.

They haven't brought Hernan up the past two Septembers. I like him for what he is, kind of a poor man's Catalanotto, but his utility IF future is pretty spotty since he can't play SS (and has only incidental experience at 3B). As an OF, he has little bat.

As a free agent, he'd have plenty of teams interested, but he's more of a "depth" guy than a "roster" guy.

With the focus thus far on Venezuela, the Dominican Winter League is now underway, and several Brewer kids may take part.

It's important to note that the team rosters in the DWL can be huge as players come and go during the course of the season. (The Tigres del Licey currently list 42 pitchers alone, but some of the other current rosters are significantly smaller.)

If you go through all the rosters, you'll see quite a few 2009 Brewer farmhands, but several are due to become minor league free agents this month, so we'll point out the ones who will be under control for 2010 and beyond here.

Pitching for Gigantes del Cibao will be the Timber Rattlers' Wily Peralta and Brevard's Amaury Rivas, two of the more prized prospects in the system. Don't look for either to throw many innings, but you'll see them in a box score every so often.

RHP Rigoberto Almonte is listed on the Toros del Este roster. He'll be throwing to catcher Angel Salome, one of three catchers currently listed on the Toros' roster. Here's hoping Salome sees significant action, and excels, this winter. You'd think scouts will be in attendance to take notice, in case the Brewers are willing to put all their eggs in the Jonathan Lucroy basket for the right deal.

They haven't brought Hernan up the past two Septembers. I like him for what he is, kind of a poor man's Catalanotto, but his utility IF future is pretty spotty since he can't play SS (and has only incidental experience at 3B). As an OF, he has little bat.
Agreed. Other than the fact that Hernan can play CF in a pinch - I'd rather have Heether. Heether played 3B, 2B, SS and LF last year. (And even pitched 1 inning!) Heether is just as cheap and provides a little pop off the bench.

Don Money says Heether is not a SS either, other than a spot start here and there, so he's likely like McGehee. I know when he played in Appleton, Heether looked to be heavy, so limited range makes sense. Considering Adam is also not very young, I just don't see much of a future.

With luck, maybe he'll break out like Casey, but I have a lot of doubts.

"Heavy" is not a word that seems useful in describing Heether

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3073/2593204587_1d6606856e.jpg?v=0http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2570/3886365084_b33c66c1a9.jpg

http://thecardbrewery.com/images/adamheether/adamheether.jpg

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think he leaned himself out after having some back issues years ago, if i remember correctly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• 2 weeks later...

So, I was poking around milb.com and took a peek at the winter league stats for all the Brewers players. Here is the link:

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/org.jsp?id=mil

Escobar has started his winter league season (10 ab's so far). Also, I know Taylor Greeen's lack of power was noted in the AFL thread, but jeez, the guy is slugging under .200 so far.

• 2 weeks later...

As a free agent, he'd have plenty of teams interested, but he's more of a "depth" guy than a "roster" guy.

He can't be a "depth guy" if he has no options left. Heether will be the "depth guy" this year because he can go up and down without roster moves. He's considerably younger than Heether too. His defense at 2B last year was stellar (just 5 errors in 98 games). That he hasn't played SS, doesn't mean that with some work there in spring he couldn't be used there in an emergency. As for his having a "little bat", are we talking about the same guy? He slugged .637 his first professional season as a 19-20 year old. At AAA last year he slugged a respectable .412 and batted .312. Plus so far he's outslugging Brendan Katin in Venezuela .454 to .452 as of today. He's not a big HR guy, he's a gap hitter. Guys like Kendall and TGJ are for the most part singles hitters. Iribarren can drive it into the gaps.

One other thing in Hernan's favor. A lot is expected of 23 year old Venzuelan SS Alcides Escobar. While there are several Dominicans on the Brewers, Iribarren is the only other Brewer who hails from Venezuela. Don't underestimate the value of having Iribarren around to hang with Alcides.

I don't see where he fits in, he can only play 2B, he hits LH. Counsell hits LH and can play anywhere, very well. He needs to find a team with a RH 2B and a RH hitting main utility INF who can play SS and 3B well. That's a pretty tough spot.

As for a "depth guy", I see him as AAA depth. Since he can't play SS, he almost needs to be looked at as an OF who can play 2B.

I don't see where he fits in, he can only play 2B, he hits LH. Counsell hits LH and can play anywhere, very well. He needs to find a team with a RH 2B and a RH hitting main utility INF who can play SS and 3B well. That's a pretty tough spot.

As for a "depth guy", I see him as AAA depth. Since he can't play SS, he almost needs to be looked at as an OF who can play 2B.

You don't see where he fits in? You mentioned it earlier. He replaces Catalanotto on the roster. He's shown he can play 2B well enough. He's playing a lot of OF this winter. He'll be able to provide the offense Catalanotto did and he's 10 years younger (with an upside). He can't be AAA depth for the Brewers anymore. He's on the 40 man and he's out of options. 25 year old 2nd basemen that are coming off a year at AAA where they hit .311 don't clear waivers. Weeks is coming off a wrist injury. He may need days off too.

A guy that can play OF and 2B isn't a bad option as a bench player. Especially one like Iribarren who also has a good bat.

McGehee didn't appear to "fit in" last year either. It's probably less of a reach for Iribarren to do the same thing McGehee did last year if he got the opportunity.

I too like Iribarren, and I don't know why he hasn't gotten more of a chance from the Brewers when rosters expand. He's on the 40-man roster, so why didn't he get a call-up in September? Did that have anything to do with his winter league commitments?

And just because he doesn't play SS doesn't mean he wouldn't be a valuable utility player. He's a left-handed hitter with a career .314/.371/.418 mark in the minor leagues. With as many RH hitters as the Brewers have in their projected everyday lineup, I have no problem loading up the bench with LH hitters even if Counsell is still on the team (especially given how well Hernan hits RHPs). Iribarren also has good speed, even if he hasn't been very efficient on the basepaths, and would add value as a pinch runner. I thought he had a good chance to make the Brewers roster this past year after his success last winter.

However, I don't think the fact that he's Venezuelan will have much to do with the Brewers decision.

No one is suggesting that Iribarren has any pop or that he should serve as Gomez' backup. He could have value as a 25th man to the roster given his versatility and speed. You are changing your tune to support what little argument you have against the guy.

This isn't exactly winter ball-related, but it's offseason baseball news, so this is probably the best place for it. Pete Fatse is apparently the guinea pig for a product that purports to add bat speed over the course of six weeks; they'll be posting a new video each week so people can monitor his progress. So, if Fatse breaks out next year, you know who to thank.

Alcides, after a slow start, has his OPS up to .751 after collecting 15 hits in his last 10 games. Unfortunately, 14 of them have been singles.

Heether has a miserable .214 batting average - but a .390 OBP. Hernan has an .817 OPS in over 100 at bats.

Archived