Brewer Fanatic

Will Holliday's error effect his FA/return to St L?

44Fishy

There has been a lot of speculation about whether Holliday would return to St Louis next year or sign elsewhere as he is a free agent after this season-

I sincerely doubt that one play would make the Cards not want to bring him back-

But if they lose this series and the public backlash is severe enough and he's labeled as the goat, could you imagine him not wanting to return?

Short-term, there might be some backlash, but in the long run I would imagine that they would see how well Holliday performed while batting behind the Almighty One, and that will outweigh it. I'm sure he feels terrible, too...boy do I feel bad for Cardinal fans. Oh wait, no I don't.

If TLR doesn't walk Prince in his last PA of the season ruining karma in the process, Holliday doesn't make that error. I'm convinced of that.
http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

A Facebook friend who is a STL fan had as his status last night, "Did Mr. Holliday just buy his ticket out of the Lou?" So it's on one fan's mind.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

That was one of the funniest errors I've ever seen -- the digger he took after whiffing on the catch was the best. I almost felt bad for Holliday. Almost.

I saw some interviews of Cardinal players on MLB Network this morning and they were actually blaming the fans twirling white towels as the reason Holliday missed the catch. That's classy.

Here's the response from someone at another forum I frequent. He's a diehard Dodgers fan who was at the game last night:

Adam Wainwright is pathetic blaming Holliday's error on the white towels. Firstly, no one waves towels when the ball is hit in play, only when pitches are being thrown or after a big play. Secondly, the white towels were being waved the whole game, even when Clayton Kershaw was busy mowing down Cardinals hitters.

I guess Wainwright is just trying to make Holliday feel better for his error but to place the blame on someone else is just pathetic.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Mike Cameron blew a critical play against Philly in the playoffs last year and he was still brought back. Most teams wouldn't let one play, no matter how crucial, influence their decision making to a great extent.

I'm just giddy with happiness over it. I get quite tired of two teams: the Cards and Yanks, and no amount of bad luck short of personal tragedy is going keep me from believing this was karma. The smugness, the belief that the Cards fans and for that matter Tony LaRussa can hold court over other teams and fans leaves me all pukey in the throat.

I wonder if the white towels the Cardinal fans are waving at this game are classy compared to the ones the Dodger fans were waving?
I saw those towels and exclaimed aloud...though I oughtn't quote myself on this forum. I only hope and pray the home team will be able to field, this time.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I think the number of similarities between Matt Holliday this year and CC Sabathia last year is surprisingly high:

- Both acquiring teams, the Cards and Brewers, gave up their top hitting prospects to land their new players

- Like Sabathia, Holliday played out of his mind with the Cards in the second half

- Both players played significant roles in their teams' playoff pushes

- Neither were very productive while their teams were eliminated in the first round

- Both head into the free agency period as potentially the most coveted players in this year's class, with big market teams looking to throw some money at big holes.

Here's to hoping Holliday gets overpaid by the Mets (or Boston if they don't bring back Bay), and the Cards have to deal with the fact they gave up Brett Wallace only to get swept out of the first round. The situation would be doubly funny considering how the NL Central played out down the stretch -- even without Holliday, they win the division easily. In my opinion, the loss of Wallace will hurt the Cards more than the loss of LaPorta will hurt the Brewers.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived