Brewer Fanatic

End of the World scenerios/Apophis less likely to hit Earth

InsomniacInkRoss

I can understand being concerned about nuclear weapons - but as the end of the world?

Do you really think enough nuclear weapons would EVER be deployed to destroy the entire world? (Would anyone even waste a nuclear bomb on Canada?)

I live in Wisconsin. And not even in Milwaukee. My fear of nuclear weapons is hovering around 0%.

I would say the most likely to actually end the world, by far, is an asteroid. But even then, I figure we can take some brash ocean oil drillers, teach them to be astronauts in a few days, and have them drill to the center of the asteroid and blow it up before it hits Earth. Seems pretty easy.

Another fun website

Here's the Preamble, so you know what you're getting into before clicking:

Destroying the Earth is harder than you may have been led to believe.

You've seen the action movies where the bad guy threatens to destroy the Earth. You've heard people on the news claiming that the next nuclear war or cutting down rainforests or persisting in releasing hideous quantities of pollution into the atmosphere threatens to end the world.

Fools.

The Earth is built to last. It is a 4,550,000,000-year-old, 5,973,600,000,000,000,000,000-tonne ball of iron. It has taken more devastating asteroid hits in its lifetime than you've had hot dinners, and lo, it still orbits merrily. So my first piece of advice to you, dear would-be Earth-destroyer, is: do NOT think this will be easy.

This is not a guide for wusses whose aim is merely to wipe out humanity. I (Sam Hughes) can in no way guarantee the complete extinction of the human race via any of these methods, real or imaginary. Humanity is wily and resourceful, and many of the methods outlined below will take many years to even become available, let alone implement, by which time mankind may well have spread to other planets; indeed, other star systems. If total human genocide is your ultimate goal, you are reading the wrong document. There are far more efficient ways of doing this, many which are available and feasible RIGHT NOW. Nor is this a guide for those wanting to annihilate everything from single-celled life upwards, render Earth uninhabitable or simply conquer it. These are trivial goals in comparison.

This is a guide for those who do not want the Earth to be there anymore.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I would say the most likely to actually end[/u] the world, by far, is an asteroid. But even then, I figure we can take some brash ocean oil drillers, teach them to be astronauts in a few days, and have them drill to the center of the asteroid and blow it up before it hits Earth. Seems pretty easy.

I believe we know how to deflect an asteroid, or at least have an idea to, as long as we have enough warning that its coming. That's why I've always been a little curious as to why we don't invest more money into locating these things. I don't mean to start a global warming debate, but needless to say its not a universally accepted hypothesis and look at the lengths we are already going through to try to prevent something we don't even know we can prevent. One sure thing though is that we will be hit by an asteroid again, its just a matter of when. Why not have the technology in place to prevent it from killing millions and millions of people?

I think the most likely scenario to end humanity is nuclear war, not necessarily directly through actual bombs but through the consequences of the bombs, like starvation. I think the most likely way to actually destroy the Earth itself is a black hole.

So... No one else is concerned about the Yellowstone Super Volcano?

That's another one of those things that is going to happen eventually...it's not a matter of if but a matter of when. I saw an episode of "Mega Disasters" on the History Channel where they talked about it. I have to admit, it's not going to be fun that thing goes off and a whole lot of people are going to die. I just think at this point and time nuclear weapons are a bigger threat, and I can only say that because if I'm not mistaken we can't predict when the Super Volcano is going to erupt so basically it's out of sight out of mind. Who knows, if the Yellowstone Super Volcano erupts tomorrow I'm going to feel pretty salty.

The last thing I saw on Yellowstone was made pretty recently and was running down that we are more or less due for an eruption (every 600,000-800,000 years or so) being in year 640,000ish. Also, there has been a spike in earthquakes in the park, and parts of the park have risen in elevation over a foot in the last year (that aint normal)

All this just makes my mind think twice on it, but certainly not dwell on it.

I'll be honest: I've never heard of this super volcano theory. Got any good links that I should read? The basic search I did didn't turn up all that much that was note-worthy or interesting, to me at least.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I'm with JimH5

mass sterilization

virus outbreak, manmade or natural

NWO

Glad you're with me sausage racer!

Supervolcano!? Bah!

I could have used your support a few years ago when I stood alone and was openly mocked for saying that Chris Capuano was the Brewers ace, over Ben Sheets--a claim that I must now reluctantly agree was worth every bit of mockery I received.

Cappy must have had a virus.

I'll be honest: I've never heard of this super volcano theory. Got any good links that I should read? The basic search I did didn't turn up all that much that was note-worthy or interesting, to me at least.
There is an interesting Docu-Drama from the BBC on YouTube, as well. It's nearly 2 hours long, though.

Archived