Brewer Fanatic

Winter weather thread 2009-2010

owbc
  • Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
Over 10" of snow down in Madison now. Over a foot in some areas. It is a heavy wet snow and has been sticking to the trees. We also had a large (~6" diameter) tree limb come down in front of our house. I am concerned that there will be widespread power outages if the winds pick up.

I guess I am a little dissappointed with the snow total so far here in FDL, just doesn't look like we have gotten all that much. I would guess that we have about 6 inches right now and we were projected for 14-15. Still time I guess but I think we will be lucky to crack double digits by the time this thing is done.

I have no idea why I am up right now

I woke up to find the following buried (no pun intended) in a Capital Times article;

In response to the blizzard that has impacted the state, Gov. Jim Doyle has ordered the closure of all state government and University of Wisconsin campuses for public business.

The governor's order directs that state employees are not to report to work, unless their job duties include the provision or support of an emergency response, public health, or public safety function, and their absence would compromise delivery of essential public health, public safety, or emergency response functions that are required to continue despite weather conditions.

So although I haven't seen this information anywhere more official yet, I am taking this to mean that even (non-essential) state employees are staying home.

This is good, since Madison Metro isn't running (yet) and the talk of downed power lines possibly lurking under the 12-15" of snow make me not at all inclined to even make the walk to downtown.

This is still really, really unusual, though.

Edit: It's also quite beautiful, looking from the inside, that is. Snow is clinging to everything with branches. Like OWBC, though, I'll like it a lot less if we lose power and/or trees.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I revise my snowfall total to atleast a foot in FDL. Luckily the snow is so wet that it really isn't blowing around at all. I think I threw my back out about 4 different times trying to dig my car out this morning.

I will agree that it is a beautiful snow. There is an inch or two sitting on every tree limb

UWM is defying the governor's orders and holding classes (there's like, maybe an inch of snow on the East side). Off to work I go.

The governor has given UWM an exception the closing of all state campuses and offices, so morning classes will be held as scheduled. Campus administration will be monitoring the weather throughout the day. Per uwm

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Given no choice but to attempt to get to work this morning, the worst, of course, happened. I was fine, going about 45 mph, when a semi doing easily 65 tried to pass me. Being that the snowfall is wet, heavy, slushy crap, my car was thrown sideways from the force of the slush and snow. I was pushed out of the track, lost control, spun, and went into a ditch. $152.00 to get pulled out.

I called my supervisor, told her the roads were ridiculous. She said "you have to assess your situation and decide if it's safe to come in".

ASSESS THE SITUATION!?!? I'M BACKWARDS IN A DITCH ON THE HIGHWAY!!!'

It's fine and well to say 'it's at your discretion' but when you say 'if you don't come in, it's an unexcused absence', you're really forcing people to make poor decisions, which I did. So now I'm out 150 bucks for a tow, and I'm out a days wages.

Winter sucks. If property value hadn't plummeted here after GM closed, I'd put my house on the market tomorrow and get the hell out of here.

We will be returning home next week.. .hope that my birch trees survived this. .

.http://bl136w.blu136.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=0cd4ba4c-e4d1-11de-ad66-00237de4a738&Aux=44%7C0%7C8CC46F4F3B112B0%7C%7C

Just finished the driveway with about 10" here in SW Wisconsin. So much for a "day off" for my wife and I.

Our basement is now full of neighborhood kids (along with ours) after the first sledding party of the day is interrupted with the first hot chocolate break.

We will never really know how much snow fell in our neighborhood. The wind is whipping so much of the crap around that some spots have bare grass and some spots have 4'-5' drifts. Fun stuff....
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Archived