Brewer Fanatic

Winter weather thread 2009-2010

owbc
  • Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
That storm really busted. 7-11" forecasts drop to a final 1-3". On a more positive note, the normal high in Milwaukee is now 34--and the temperatures should start to reflect that by next weekend.

That storm really busted. 7-11" forecasts drop to a final 1-3". On a more positive note, the normal high in Milwaukee is now 34--and the temperatures should start to reflect that by next weekend.

On a more positive note?? I was thrilled when I woke up and there was only 3" on the ground and it was pretty much done.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

On a more positive note?? I was thrilled when I woke up and there was only 3" on the ground and it was pretty much done.
Ditto. Spring can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned. I've gotten sick of these storms lately where they start early morning and go through mid-afternoon, so that when I get home I can't even pull into the driveway. This was a nice change of pace.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Getting up and seeing only 1 to 2 inches on the ground WAS the positive note.

Having to drive back and forth to Madison daily, I can't stand the winter weather. Madison (especially the beltline) turn into an absolute, godawful mess when there's more than 2-3" on the ground. I'm glad we're almost done with it for the year, and by the end of spring I'll be working from my home and only making the drive a handful of times per year.

Seeing that "storm" turn out to be nothing was awesome. I just felt great that for once they predicted a big storm and it turned out to be nothing. Usually it is the other way around.

That is funny. Without looking back, I bet you'd see the opposite sentiment in the beginning of this thread.

Ohh god not a global warming thing. Even with warming trends.. it still gets cold. Even if we are on a cooling trend, it still gets hot. It's not like winter will just randomly disappear. And it's not like weather events that are unusual will just randomly stop.

That snow stunk though, I'd rather have 6 inches of fluff then that heavy packing snow. Snow blower chute didn't like it to much.

A sign of global "warming".....San Antonio was in the upper 70s Sunday, 60s yesterday and today.....it's going to sleet/snow. Unbelievable.

People make the joke often, but don't really understand the science behind it.

Global temperatures rise, raising ocean temps and causing additional evaporation. This evaporation goes in to the atmosphere, creating more fuel for heavy winter storms.

Whether it's man-made or just the earth playing its own tune that it has since it's been around, I don't pick a side. I can't even say these storms are caused by warming. But the science behind it is pretty simple.

Suppose to get 3-6 inches of lake effect snow in Milwaukee, Racine, Kenosha. I don't remember seeing anything about this on the news this morning.
Yeah, Madison won't get lake effect snow, but we did have a surprisingly robust snow shower about an hour ago; more like flurries by now.

I looked out the window at one point and exclaimed aloud.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator

This one isn't all lake effect, there is some help from a larger scale weather system as well. The lake effect snow was expected to mostly remain in Illinois/Indiana, but the winds have been pushing it back to the west, which was not forecasted this morning.

The global warming debate is complicated. Personally, I think most of the action this winter can be attributed to El Nino. I think there also may have been a feedback effect from getting the early-season snow cover in the northern states that never really melted. All the cold airmasses are getting extra help from that big snowpack, which is combining with the strong subtropical jet (typical of El Nino) to bring winter storms to the Southern/Eastern US.

My normal 40 minute drive took 2 hours and 40 minutes to complete.... and I took side streets. Had I stayed on the freeway, I'd imagine it would've taken closer to 4 hours. NOTHING was moving.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Left work downtown at about 4:20. Pulled into my driveway in Waukesha at 6:00pm. Took the freeway. Normally a 30 to 40 minute drive during normal rush hour conditions. A good percentage of the time was spent on the 6th and Clyborn on ramp. I think I was on there for 20 minutes before I completely merged into traffic.

I really hate the onramp configurations to go West out of Milwaukee since the reconstruction of the Marquette interchange. There are really only two options and the one that's closest for me (6th and Clyborn) is backed up on a consistant basis. Never had those issues before the new interchange was built.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• 2 weeks later...
Lets not be greedy HW. I dont want to see this thread on the first page again until at least early December. Just seeing it reappear now gave me pause for concern. Perhaps if we let it slide of the first page for good Mother Nature will forget that she is able to dump plenty of snow on us in March and we can continue on with temps in the mid 40s or better and onto April.

Since it isn't officially Spring yet I will post this question here. While I enjoy the snow melting when will all the fog go away?
I'm thinking once the snow all melts. On my walk home today the fog had finally lifted from the campus area, but as I approached the residential part of the bike/ped path, just west of the stadium, a lot more snow was left and the path was enveloped in a ghostly fog. It was neat to look at, a little chilly to walk through.

(sorry, RyDogg)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Since it isn't officially Spring yet I will post this question here. While I enjoy the snow melting when will all the fog go away?
I was thinking about this when it was uber-foggy at noon, then disappeared by 1:00 today...

When the temperature gets above the dew point. Because it's melting so fast, there is a ton of moisture in the air, and the dew point is hanging around in the low 40s. Earlier today, the sun peaked out enough to warm up the air to a few degrees above the dew point, but the areas just above the snow were cooled by the snow and remained foggy. As Hawing said, once the snow is gone, or fog is gone...or until the air warms up a bit and/or the wind blows a bit more.

Community Moderator
The fog that occurred today can be referred to as "advection fog". It occurs from the mixing between the cold air over the snow (Temp~35 F, Dew Point~35 F, RH=100%) with the warm air moving in from the south (Temp~55 F, Dew Point~50 F, RH=83%). If the mix of the two air masses has a relatively humidity over 100%, fog will form. An inversion (warm air aloft) was trapping drier air at mid levels from mixing to the surface, which helped also (and contributed to the poor air quality).

The fog that occurred today can be referred to as "advection fog". It occurs from the mixing between the cold air over the snow (Temp~35 F, Dew Point~35 F, RH=100%) with the warm air moving in from the south (Temp~55 F, Dew Point~50 F, RH=83%). If the mix of the two air masses has a relatively humidity over 100%, fog will form. An inversion (warm air aloft) was trapping drier air at mid levels from mixing to the surface, which helped also (and contributed to the poor air quality).
I knew that there would be a perfectly logical explanation for all this. I guess that I don't remember this much continuous fog in years past during March. I am hoping that it doesn't persist for too much longer.

FYI - I apologize for resurrecting the Winter weather thread. When the snow stops being the cause of many of our weather issues I will move over to the Spring & Summer thread

Archived