Brewer Fanatic

Winter weather thread 2009-2010

owbc
I am in Indianapolis this week and this snowstorm is causing total armageddon here! 3"-5" is going to shut this entire city down http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Milwaukee totals I've seen have ranged from 3-6" all the way up to 12-18". I really wish the weather services would make up their minds!

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Cars are piled up left and right on the highway, with some people out there apparently thinking that driving 50 mph in this stuff, when everyone else is going 20-25, is safe. Be safe out there, and stay home if you can.
Which highway?

I already changed some plans for today based on the weather, personally.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Which highway?

I-94 East and West were terrible in both directions, from Waukesha County into Milwaukee County.

"Cars piled up left and right" may have been an exaggeration, but there were quite a few cars that had spun out and a few fender benders. There isn't a ton of snow, but what is on the ground is super slick. They are now saying that it will take 45 minutes to go from Moreland to Hwy 100 on I-94 East. I know some people aren't in a position to stay home, but that's just crazy.

The commute home is going to be a nightmare.

Community Moderator
Getting over 6" is going to be a challenge in the Madison area. The Milwaukee area should see just light snow for the next few hours before the lake effect really starts to kick in this evening...hopefully after rush hour.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
And remember, having an SVU does not make you Steve McQueen in "Bullitt" or Gene Hackman in "French Connection". I routinely see just as many 4 wheel drive vehicles in the ditch as I do two door hatchbacks.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I've learned my lesson from driving my 4 x 4 pickup too fast in the snow. The left lane might look tempting when there's nobody else in it, but there's usually a reason why nobody else is in it. I've had a few close calls from basically driving like an idiot just because I had a bigger vehicle than everybody else. Now I just shake my head when I see people driving like I used to.

• 2 weeks later...
Community Moderator

There's a risk of some light freezing rain this week--especially Thursday. Forecasting has been trouble lately because the models do not do a good job picking up on the giant inversion caused by the snowpack. For about the last week, the temperature has been as much as 10-20 degrees F warmer about 1/2 mile aloft and it is difficult to predict which days the warm air will mix down to the surface.

For the long term, we have finally moved into a typical El Nino pattern, with California getting tons of rain and temperatures at or above normal in the Midwest. Looks like a good chance of rain on Saturday night actually, changing to some light snow/flurries on Sunday. Beyond that, temperatures should stay at or above normal with another chance for a decent rain/snow storm sometime around January 26-28.

"El Niño was originally recognized by fisherman off the coast of South America as the appearance of unusually warm water in the Pacific ocean, occurring near the beginning of the year. El Niño means The Little Boy or Christ child in Spanish. This name was used for the tendency of the phenomenon to arrive around Christmas. La Niña means The Little Girl. La Niña is sometimes called El Viejo, anti-El Niño, or simply "a cold event" or "a cold episode"."

Source

Archived