Brewer Fanatic

Winter weather thread 2009-2010

owbc
And we got back from Kenosha about 30 minutes before the rain in Madison turned to sleet and now snow. Woot!
Where's your sense of adventure?
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

woke up this morning on my first Christmas at my new home... only to discover water coming into my basement. (ice logs froze in my main gutter and downspout, all the water was overflowing into one corner near my house, and the water got in.

luckily the kids' presents were in the basement and they up so dang early, so i noticed it pretty early on. but it was no fun being up on a ladder with an ice pick in the dark in pouring rain on Christmas morning...

at least the presents or anything else important to us wasn't ruined. and luckily the wall where the water came in has already been braced...

oh well. u live and u learn...

I've had to be the "bad guy" in regards to Christmas travel, two years in a row. Last Christmas Eve we were supposed to leave for up north, and as many will remember, we practically had a blizzard. We had to decide not to go, which resulted in my wife in tears. This year we left on the 23rd to beat the storm...Christmas morning the weather was starting to turn bad up at her folks' place. I had to basically get us out the door to get going so we could get some distance before all the rain started to freeze...resulting in my wife crying. I don't like being the bad guy. The roads were pretty bad for quite a while during the first part of our drive, so I'm glad we left when we did, though.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I had three or four inches in my driveway; the guy who removed it said that with all the water, it was the equivalent of 10 inches.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a little surprised that with a snow storm coming in tonight and tomorrow, no one has commented. I'm glad it's cold enough to keep the rain and ice away. Will Milwaukee actually get the amount of snow they are saying? I used to live north of Milwaukee, and know not to take lake effect snow forecasts seriously. It's never as bad as other lake effect areas (Cleveland, Buffalo).

NeedMoreFans[/b]]I'm a little surprised that with a snow storm coming in tonight and tomorrow, no one has commented. I'm glad it's cold enough to keep the rain and ice away. Will Milwaukee actually get the amount of snow they are saying? I used to live north of Milwaukee, and know not to take lake effect snow forecasts seriously. It's never as bad as other lake effect areas (Cleveland, Buffalo).
Yeah, I was a little surprised too when I logged on last night and saw that this thread had not been bumped up. I think a lot of the members are from the Madison area and I don't think they are expecting as much snow, if any, out there. 6-10 inches in Milwaukee, much of Waukesha and south.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I hadn't responded yet out of sheer snow-weariness.

I did send a complaint last night to the city of Madison for a property I pass on my walk home that did a poor job of snow removal. I have to be pretty fed up with sidewalk conditions to do that.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Hawing, did you ask the city to respond to your request?

After the big snow, I filled out the self-report (regarding our street's lack of plowing) form which provides the option to be contacted once your complaint is addressed....I'm still waiting for that reply. I even filled in all of the contact info because that way (to paraphrase) "we can take the request seriously."

As far as this snow goes, I've heard 2-4 in Madison.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Actually, I just looked at my email and a response from the city arrived at 8:30:

Thank you for the complaint. A case was previously created on this property. An inspector will visit the property today and a ticket will be issued when a violation is observed. The address will then be forwarded to another City agency which will clear the walk and bill the owner.
So, it was less than 15 hours real-time, and maybe an hour or so of "business hours" time to get a response. Note, though, that the problem I reported concerned a private property owner, not a city service.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The thing I hate most about living in central Illinois is the lack of snow removal by citizens. The problem is there are no laws requiring snow removal so 90% of people don't do it. We've had ONE snow storm this winter. We got 3-4 inches the day after Christmas. Most people didn't shovel, it partially melted and near 0 temperatures have covered the sidewalks with ice. I can't believe I haven't fallen yet when walking my dog. These people don't know how to deal with winter! We're supposed to get 4-6 inches of snow tonight. Most people probably won't be in to work until 10 and I know the sidewalks won't be cleared until it all melts away. (This should probably be in the "What's bugging me" thread, eh?)

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Community Moderator

It's an Alberta Clipper which isn't as fun to forecast as the panhandle storms. Clippers are usually known for being fast-moving, but this one is a little slower with some extra moisture, so we are going to get more than the usual 1-3" that you see with clippers. However, the snow is going to be really fluffy (15-18:1 ratios).

The other issue is Lake Michigan. As we talked about earlier in the year, the warm lake ruined the early December snowstorm for Milwaukee. In this system, the lake makes up for the difference, as there is going to be a nice NE flow throughout most of the event. Lake effect is obviously a very tricky forecast but it looks like it will add significantly to the snowfall totals in the warning areas. I would not be surprised if a small area that gets under the strongest band ends up with a foot of snow. Should be a general 6-9" for the warning area (less farther away from the lake) with some localized 9-12" totals. The Madison area should see 3-5".

Start time is around 2-4 AM for Madison and 5-7 AM for Milwaukee. It will be a quick hitter for Madison with the heaviest snow already over by late morning. Milwaukee will see moderate snow continuing all the way through the evening and possibly into the overnight. Forecast confidence is usually high, so I do not expect any major changes except for figuring out where the heaviest lake effect snow bands will set up.

Blah. At least it won't be icy.

Friend of mine suppose to be boarding a plane to Mexico tomorrow at 6 am. I don't know how that will effect his flight but that combined with the recent happenings in Detroit it's looks like it has the makings of a perfect storm of airport hell.

man, i love reading Obsessed's weather posts. if TV weathermen would talk in the similar "my audience isn't stupid and I have something to teach them" vein, i'd actually watch the local news.

it's about 18 degrees with the wind chill in Greensboro, NC, right now and I'm actually slightly chilly. maybe i'm actually starting to assimilate to this southern weather. granted, i'll still probably melt when we get back to three straight months of 90+ temperatures.

I liked weather forecasts with Albert the Alley Cat.

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/29125ef5614db51c4a606bebd9882775c81f61c.jpg

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived