Brewer Fanatic

Winter weather thread 2009-2010

owbc
Community Moderator

It's that time again--models have been showing snowflakes for Wisconsin on Sunday night!!!

Nothing major is anticipated, but it would not be unheard of for somebody in the Midwest to get lucky (or unlucky) and pick up a few inches. The last time we had October snow that I can remember was 2006. Milwaukee had 0.2" of snow on October 12, 2006 and Madison had 2.3" on October 21, 2006.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
davego[/b]]Winter is stupid. I'm sick of it already.

Winter is beyond stupid. It defies all logic and reason. It really serves no purpose at all.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Winter kills a lot of bugs. That's good for a little bit in my book.

I'll admit, I saw this thread title and thought to myself, "ah, geez, who's jumping the gun?" - then I saw it was The Weatherman and said to myself, "dang, must be for real."

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator
I am a fan of all types of "exciting" weather which includes snow. The first flakes of the season are always exciting even if it will probably be only a few flurries on Monday morning. With an El Nino winter expected, we probably will see warm temperatures and below normal snowfall this winter--although one big storm can throw off the numbers.

Sigh, the return of my least favorite thread on BF.net. I think the thing that bothers me most about winter is the massive, maddening amount of over-reaction it garners by the media, posters on this forum, etc. In Wisconsin, in winter, it snows. Figure it out! I'd kill for just one season where everyone asks like we've done it before.

I'm only 29, I can't imagine how badly I'll want to Chuck Norris this discussion when I've had to put up with it for another 20+ years.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

When the first snow forecasts come out by the media of 1 inch the news stations will be going nuts. "First snow of the season, are YOU prepared? We visit 42 stores to talk to people and ask if they're buying shovels".

A Milwaukee TV stations dream.... Brett Favre retires and a blizzard in the same day.

I think the snow started flying about 2-3 weeks ago here in Fairbanks. Why the hell did I move here?

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I just hate that people forget to how to drive during the first snowfall, it's only been 6 months or so, come one people!

I love winter though, I don't get sick of it till about March, which is a lot longer than most people. For the record, it's not "cold" out till it's single digits.

I pretty much hate winter. I've lived in Wisconsin my whole life, and I really don't like snow and the cold. Thank goodness I bought a snow blower a couple years back. That thing has saved my back, big time.

I'll also throw out my annual suggestion that October is a good time to make sure your house is ready for winter (if you're a home owner). Turn off the outside faucets, make sure your furnace is in good working order, etc.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Snow + unraked leaves = unpleasant springtime leaf raking.

FYI--The forecast for Singapore is 92 degrees with 95 percent humidity, and a 75 percent chance of an afternoon shower.

And it's that way nearly every day of the year.

I'll be back for some real winter December 14. . .save me some snow!

I am a fan of all types of "exciting" weather which includes snow. The first flakes of the season are always exciting even if it will probably be only a few flurries on Monday morning. With an El Nino winter expected, we probably will see warm temperatures and below normal snowfall this winter--although one big storm can throw off the numbers.

i heard on the radio a month or so ago that the farmer's almanac was prediction a very cold and very snowy winter in the upper midwest.

where did you hear warm temps and below normal snowfall??? that would be very exciting...

i heard on the radio a month or so ago that the farmer's almanac was prediction a very cold and very snowy winter in the upper midwest.

where did you hear warm temps and below normal snowfall??? that would be very exciting...

We use weather models to help us predict sales and we are expecting a more mild winter, especially in regards to snowfall, this year. Most of this is based off of the El Nino model. But, I was having the exact conversation with a friend of mine earlier today whose fiance's family are all farmer and this is what I found.

From the Farmers Almanac:

Annual Weather Summary: November 2009 to October 2010

Winter will be about a degree colder than normal, on average, despite a number of mild periods. The coldest periods will occur in the second week of December, early to mid-January, mid- to late January, and mid-February. Precipitation and snowfall will be below normal in the east and above normal in the west. Watch for a snowstorm around Thanksgiving, with other snowy periods in early and late December, late January, mid-February, and mid-March.

April and May will be warmer and drier than normal, with an early-season hot spell in mid-May.

Summer will be cooler than normal, with slightly below normal rainfall. The hottest periods will be in mid- to late June and mid- and late July.

September and October will be warmer than normal, with below-normal rainfall in the east and above-normal rainfall in the west.

Community Moderator
The Farmers' Almanac does look at scientific things like ENSO and sunspot cycles as well as their "secret formula" to do weather predictions. I'm guessing the sunspot minimum might be causing them to forecast a below normal winter. The climate prediction center is officially forecasting a 40-50% chance of above normal temperatures (vs. 33% if it was completely random). The Milwaukee NWS also did some graphing of previous El Nino winters and found that December was generally cold and snowy while January and February were warmer and less snowy. However, this was only based on like a 6 year sample size. I guess nobody really knows for sure, but keep in mind that last winter was actually slightly above normal, even though it may have felt colder due to the number of warm winters in the past 10 years.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Winter is only a big deal if you are a wuss. It's scientifically proven.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived