Brewer Fanatic

Melvin wants 2 starters

nate82
Vasquez is just too good to move for a contending team thats why it makes no sense for a Braves team that wants to put together one more run with Jones to move one of the best pitchers last year. He isn't an Edwin Jackson doing it with smoke and mirrors, he's a very good pitcher and has been so for a long time.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the Braves may have spread around that Vasquez is available in order to see if anyone would really step up & make an unbeatable offer. I agree that he's simply too good for a contending team to shop around for merely decent offers.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Non-tendering Bush so we can sign Washburn or Davis makes no sense to me. Trading a one year cost controlled option in Bush for a multiyear deal to a mediocre pitcher is not wise IMO.

Bush is a much better pitcher than his ERA numbers from last season suggest, until the injuries hit him, his ERA was in the mid-4s (4.58 on June 10th). Would we expect much better from Davis or Washburn? Is it worth it for us to take the risk of another long term contract?

Non-tendering Bush so we can sign Washburn or Davis makes no sense to me. Trading a one year cost controlled option in Bush for a multiyear deal to a mediocre pitcher is not wise IMO.

Bush is a much better pitcher than his ERA numbers from last season suggest, until the injuries hit him, his ERA was in the mid-4s (4.58 on June 10th). Would we expect much better from Davis or Washburn? Is it worth it for us to take the risk of another long term contract?

Davis and Bush are rather comparable and Bush will cost a lot less than Davis. Washburn will be worse than Bush basically Washburn is Suppan Lite. If the Brewers sign Washburn I wouldn't be surprised if Washburn put up numbers similar to what Looper and Suppan did last season. No way should the Brewers non tender Bush unless they are going to be getting a pitcher who is better than Bush. The only other pitcher out there better than Bush without that many question marks would be Lackey and Smoltz. Lackey is not going to be happening and Smoltz may happen but I'm not 100% confident in that though.

Yeah, I'm still not on board with non-tendering Bush unless it's to clear room for a significantly better starter, not a Davis/Washburn type. Bush was on track to have a great season before that freak line drive derailed his year. If Bush had been healthy the whole year and we had a guy like Wolf instead of Looper, we probably would have made the playoffs.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Not sure where this best fits, but this update by McCalvy concerns me a bit: up against their budget but still open to free agent IF Craig Counsell. GM Melvin: "I'm not going to take an offer off the table."

Does this mean that the Brewers are not going to be able to add another significant FA starter? Or that they don't have room to add a bit of payroll for a SP in a trade? (such as a guy like Correa)

What confuses me more is after saying that, McCalvy talks about how the Brewers will be visiting with Mulder next month to offer him a contract.

I think our team needs one more upgrade at SP, but I'm not sure that Mulder is enough. Someone like Correa would be ideal.

Rotation of:

Gallardo

Wolf

Correa

Bush

Parra/Mulder/Suppan

It sure sounds like Melvin is hedging on that 2nd starter. In TH's blog he says regarding a 2nd starter: "If we can, we'd like to. We might not be able to".

That doesn't sound good to me. If signing Hawkins prevents them from adding in an area of much greater need, then it was a really dumb move.

I agree, I think the Brewers definitely need to get a second starting pitcher and am worried about Melvin starting to hedge about this need. Haudricourt has some information in his blogs about that and Mulder.

Basically, if they sign Mulder, which seems likely, he wouldn't count as the second starter. Looks like the Brewers are taking a look at Mulder's medical records and plan to meet with him in Arizona come January. If the Brewers are satisfield with his medicals records, then they won't even feel the need to watch him pitch before signing him and Mulder would like to say with Peterson. So, looks like it's just a matter of time and getting things planned out.

On the second pitcher though, I didn't lilke these comments by Melvin,

As for the possibility of adding another starter, Melvin said, "If we can, we'd like to. We might not be able to. We're always looking to improve the club.

"We're trying to keep flexibility to do things we can do. The worst thing you can do is lose flexibility."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/78965622.html

We have to remember they could possibly trade for that second starter as well. Someone like Maine, Correia, etc. might be available without giving up too much.

Who are they trading? I certainly would be seeking one but in recent days Melvin said basically they don't have a replacement for Hart in RF. It would seem they could deal a relief pitcher too now, but that's never been even hinted at. It was thought earlier they'd be willing to part with Gamel, but my guess is they found out teams are wary of all the K's he accumulated in AAA and his value has dropped to the point they'd rather keep him and see if he can rebound and recover that lost value.

The hope is that now that Melvin's got the Wolf deal done that he can get creative to land that 2nd arm they need. Creativity is not Melvin's strong suit.

I'm wondering if Melvin is waiting for the asking price on Lowe, Meyers, and Correia will be coming down. Not sure on Lowe though because the Braves would have to pay a lot of his salary for the Brewers to take him on so I believe that eliminates Lowe.

Meyers may come down and price and will only get a one year deal. I believe Meyers is looking to get at least 2 or 3 years with money close to what Wolf got I don't see Meyers getting that. Meyers should still be available late into the offseason for the Brewers to pick up.

Correia could either be traded or non tendered depending on the cash situation out in San Diego. Maybe the Brewers could get Correia straight up for either Green or Villanueva not sure it would take both but it should take at least one of those two. Green would probably be the player the Padres would want most.

I'm not concerned about replacing Hart there are a ton of OF on the market. Randy Winn & CoCo Crisp come to mind. I bet that Hart for Maine deal is ago once New York adds there FA SP(s).
I'm not either, but I'm just saying that Melvin has voiced a concern about it and may use that as an excuse not to deal him. Melvin also has said recently that they are reluctant to part with guys they have brought through the system. Hardy would still be a Brewer if they didn't have a guy they consider better ready.

Let me make this clear, I'm not in agreement with them, I'm just skeptical that they'll go out and deal Hart for a pitcher based on recent comments.

I think the strategy is that there's a bunch of pitchers out there on the market (which will grow a bit after the non-tenders are announced), and that they are not all that far apart ability-wise and some will still be left after the teams with the cash available to bid on them are done leaving some decent pitchers scrambling for a job enough that they'll settle for one year deals around $4-6 million. They may be right. Ask yourselves, where's the demand for some of these guys? Not all figure to get 3 year deals.

Hope your right Maine be a nice addition and Church could make a nice addition in RF.while Gamel learns RF in Nashville for 2010.
As much as I like Church as a player, he has a history of concussions and wasnt the same after his last one last year

While the payroll definitely pushed higher in Indy this week, I believe the Wolf move is a necessity and Melvin's being understandably crafty as he works at adding the 2nd starter. I totally believe someone else will be added. I just have no idea who or how.

Regarding timing, budget, etc., keep in mind that there are still around 170 free agents looking for work and another batch of non-tendered guys will officially flood the market at 11 p.m. tonight. I think showing some patience toward Melvin & what he can still do is definitely in order.

While the likelihood of this would seem very low, check out THIS article by Ken Rosenthal. WHAT IF Melvin just might be thinking big? Cliff Lee as a Brewer -- likely? Probably not. But the way Melvin works, there may be some outside chance the Crew could pull this off.

Also, the Braves have non-tendered Kelly Johnson. So what if the Brewers could land Vazquez in a deal that might include Weeks, possibly Hart, & a pitching prospect? If this could happen, I'd then try to entice the Dodgers to swap Pierre & a bit of cash for Suppan.

The key seems to be thinking big, aiming high, & finding some way to do it without totally gutting their offense this season. And I believe that's exactly Melvin's first goal.

Rotation:

Gallardo

Vazquez

Wolf

Parra

Bush/Narveson/Santa Claus

'Pen:

CL: Hoffman

Coffey

Hawkins

Vargas

Villanueva

Stetter

???

Starters:

1B - Fielder

2B - McGehee

SS - Escobar

3B - Gamel

LF - Braun

CF - Gomez/Pierre

RF - (Winn?) or Gomez/Pierre

C - Zaun

Reserves:

IF/OF - Counsell, Gerut, Hinske (corner IF & OF, decent bench guy, likely a very agreeable price)

C - one of Rivera/Kottaras/Lucroy/Salome

I think that rumor is insane. I can't see why Philly would possibly look to deal Lee in order to take on Halladay. Not after how Lee pitched for them this past season.
Rosenthal clearly states he has no evidence, that it's simply a hunch. It's not a rumor, only speculation, & blatantly presented as such.

I agree w/ Rosenthal's logic. Whether it would/could happen is a whole different discussion, however.

Archived