Brewer Fanatic

Melvin wants 2 starters

nate82
  • Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would Mulder sign such a deal? The speculation right now is that the Braves will want to bring him back and that Hudson will instead void the $12M option. He would only do so if he expected to get more guaranteed money, and there should be plenty of clubs who will offer him that. I don't think there should be any expectation that Mulder will be exceptionally cheap.

Why would Mulder sign such a deal? The speculation right now is that the Braves will want to bring him back and that Hudson will instead void the $12M option. He would only do so if he expected to get more guaranteed money, and there should be plenty of clubs who will offer him that. I don't think there should be any expectation that Mulder will be exceptionally cheap.

Mulder is the Cardinal pitcher who hasn't pitched well since 2005 and has been coming off injuries for the past 4 seasons. Hudson is the Braves pitcher who was injured only this year.

I know some will disagree, and I know he's made us pound our heads into a wall many times, but I'd take a shot on Sheets any day.

Even with as much as he antagonized us in his last season, he gave us 200 innings and a 3.09 ERA. That would be huge.

Hell, if he could give us 180 innings of 3.50 ERA, that's worth a Gallardo right there.

1 year, $7.5M contract with an $11M team option for 2011. How about it?

Well, duh, thanks for the correction. Mea culpa. Very sorry.

I didn't mean to come off harsh if it sounded that way. You're right that Hudson will get paid 8 figures by someone. But Mulder might never actually pitch again in the major leagues.

The writer mentioning Washburn is nothing. Sure the Brewers could have a connection because of his Wisconsin connection. But so could any other team needing a middle of the pack starter. At this point of the offseason, a writer is just writing something, anything. It does get us talking about baseball though.

I wouldn't have minded Washburn for 10 starts in 2008 for a moderate cost, but if Washburn is our big splash, that would be disappointing considering the diminishing returns that we will surely get. I am not worked up yet over this one http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I think Washburn ends up signing with the crew. Melvin was interested in signing him when Washburn originally signed with Seattle. Melvin tried to get him again during the all star break. Anyone who thinks the brewers wont go after him are wrong.

I think Washburn ends up signing with the crew. Melvin was interested in signing him when Washburn originally signed with Seattle. Melvin tried to get him again during the all star break. Anyone who thinks the brewers wont go after him are wrong.

My guess is Melvin will call Scott Boras about him, and Boras will demand some stupid multi-year deal. At that point Melvin should politely hang up on him.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

My fantasy wish list is Lackey and Clay Bucholz, achieved by not re-signing Cameron, trading Hardy and cutting salary everywhere else you can that makes sense and signing Lackey; and packaging legit prospects like Gamel and maybe even Lawrie along with Hardy for Bucholz...

Lackey as your #1, Gallardo as your #2, and Bucholz as #3, with Parra and Bush rounding out the rotation could go far into the post-season...

This is the year to "go for it" with the reality of 2010 being the last full year, perhaps, of Prince Fielder in a Brewers uniform

My fear is that, in reality, we'll probably sign someone like Washburn and trade for a #3 or #4 caliber pitcher and then it'll be all media hype about our new pitching coach and a hope and a prayer going into spring training.

Maybe the Brewers can get Bon Jovi to sing "Living on a Prayer" on Opening Day

I will allow myself to hope reasonably that Chris Narveson could be turned into a reliable #4 starter

Lackey would be amazing, but he's going to get a huge pay day. The Brewers simply won't be able to afford him.

A trade with the Red Sox for someone like Bucholz might be feasible. I just fear Milwaukee will have to give up a lot to land someone like that in trade. Just noticed that Tim Hudson is apparently going to sign a three year extension with the Braves. I guess that eliminates him as a possibility.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Lackey has been reportedly looking to get a deal similar to what Burnett got last year. So around $100m for 5 years is what it will take to get Lackey.

Oh we can knock Webb off the list also. It looks as though the dbacks are going to pick up the option on Webb. It is going to be a small class I'm just wondering if Lackey is really going to get a contract like what Burnett got. I think Lackey will get a contract more around what Lowe got. I don't see many teams that will be able to give Lackey that $100m 5 year contract he might be looking for. The Angels don't look like they are going to offer that much for him the Mets have reportedly said they would be out of the running at that price. Who else does that leave? The Dodgers probably can't afford that contract either and the Yankees probably won't play all that much in this years free agency. The Red Sox will probably just pick someone up like Sheets or Bedard to fill any holes they may have.

I believe the three teams that will push hard for Lackey will be the Brewers, Mariners, and the Angels. I don't believe Lackey will get the 5 year $100m deal he will be looking for though. I believe Lackey will get somewhere around 5 years at $80-85m maybe even a 4 year deal at $60-70m.

My fantasy wish list is Lackey and Clay Bucholz, achieved by not re-signing Cameron, trading Hardy and cutting salary everywhere else you can that makes sense and signing Lackey;

How does Lackey instead of Cameron make us better? Our pitching improves, but we have a huge hole in CF. Lackey, even if you prorate his WAR over a full season, still is only about the same as Cameron this year. Cameron was worth twice the WAR as Lackey last season, when both players missed 1 month. Throw in the fact that Lackey will make twice as much money as Cameron next year, and that move does not seem advantageous. Also, Lackey will require a longterm deal, a poor idea for such a poorly conditioned athlete.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

As I have mentioned before, I talk to Washburn once and awhile. A buddy of mine also goes hunting with him all the time (I dont hunt).

But he knows im a Brewer fan, what happenes if he mentions going to Milwaukee to me? What am I suppose to say? I really don't want him to come to Milwaukee, but im really not going to say that to him haha

How does Lackey instead of Cameron make us better? Our pitching improves, but we have a huge hole in CF. Lackey, even if you prorate his WAR over a full season, still is only about the same as Cameron this year. Cameron was worth twice the WAR as Lackey last season, when both players missed 1 month.
With Cameron and our current pitching staff, we didn't come close to the playoffs. Lackey as our #1 and Gallardo as a #2 greatly improves our pitching staff. Are you comparing Lackey vs Cameron in WAR, or Lackey & Gerut vs Cameron & Suppan? (or, if you must, Cameron & Looper... but really adding a new #1 moves everyone down one notch in the pitching rotation and eliminates Suppan from the rotation)

As mentioned, thats my fantasy pick though, I don't seriously think the Brewers will bring in Lackey. Bucholz is a maybe, but I doubt Melvin can get it done, he seems to overvalue hitting to an extent that will eventually get him fired in Milwaukee, imho

As mentioned, thats my fantasy pick though, I don't seriously think the Brewers will bring in Lackey. Bucholz is a maybe, but I doubt Melvin can get it done, he seems to overvalue hitting to an extent that will eventually get him fired in Milwaukee, imho
Doug Melvin the last couple years has been very reluctant to trade his top prospects in general. He used the word untouchable a lot. I don't hear that from him anymore. I'm guessing that any player is available except Braun, Prince and Gallardo.

I'm thinking that the player he trades for will be a top young controllable arm. A big off-season trade. Involving Hardy and Gamel to start. I would really like for him to go after Clay Buchholz.

I think he will also go after a FA. I don't think they will invest a fortune in one. If the Brewers invest a lot of money into a FA pitcher long term, then they are admitting they can't re-sign Fielder. Can't do both. I would go after Justin Duchscherer or Ben Sheets.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Lackey as our #1 and Gallardo as a #2 greatly improves our pitching staff.

The 1st issue is I don't believe Lackey is a #1 anymore, and don't believe he will be one in the future. He was great at age 27_29, like most players, but his production, stuff, and conditioning, have all fallen off greatly since.

Are you comparing Lackey vs Cameron in WAR, or Lackey & Gerut vs Cameron & Suppan? (or, if you must, Cameron & Looper... but really adding a new #1 moves everyone down one notch in the pitching rotation and eliminates Suppan from the rotation)

I did compare Lackey versus Cameron, as I'm assuming we can pick up starters far better than Looper and Suppan in trades of Hardy and McGehee. I don't think thats a stretch at all. I also believe the Brewers will pick up some young guys with stuff that Peterson can mold, like he did with Oliver Perez and John Maine. Also, if you project Gerut a starter, then we have no OF depth, and that would need to be factored into the equation too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Why is everyone so high on Buchholtz?

Is he really that good?

Or is he a product of the Hype Machine that is the Yankees and Red Sox media blitz?

I've hunted around, but I can't seem to find an unbiased (ie: non red sox fan) scouting report on the guy.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived