Brewer Fanatic

Melvin wants 2 starters

nate82
Rosenthal's speculation is that Lee will want to hit free agency instead of hammering out an extension. Halladay, meanwhile, is basically requiring a contract extension in order to approve the trade. That's if I'm remembering the article correctly.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Melvin has said that he's planning to add another starting pitcher, but that it likely won't come till mid-to-late January (like with Wolf last year). He wants to wait out the market and see who is available on a 1-2 year deal then

Sounds like the Yankees are going to non tender Wang. I would give him a 2 year deal without thinking twice.

Yankees Likely To Non-Tender Wang
12th December, 2009 - 11:14 am
MLB.com - The Yankees appear Clikely to non-tender pitcher Chien-Ming Wang by Saturday's midnight deadline.

The move would make the former 19-game winner a free agent.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said that the club is still considering their options regarding Wang.

Wang's agent, Alan Nero, said on Friday that he has been led to believe that the Yankees will non-tender Wang, at which point he will begin to engage any interested clubs on the open market.

Apparantly the Phillies might trade Lee in a 3 way deal to get Halladay. I think it would be awesome but unlikely if the Brewers were somehow involved.

Edit: I didn't read the posts above mine, I guess this was already brought up. Now they are saying that the Phillies are discussing a long term deal w/ Halladay. So I guess it might be true.

Melvin is almost positively going to get another starter, I just think people have to set their sights fairly low. Davis or Washburn is about the best you can hope for as far as a free agent signing. I'm hoping he goes the trade route instead and gets someone short term, or manages to get a guy like Lowe but with the other team covering a good portion of the contract.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Just saw tweets from Haudricourt and McCalvy both saying that Melvin is unlikely to make any more significant FA signings due to payroll, and that any further moves will probably be through trade. So sounds like my hunch up there was correct (at least for now).
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Invader3K[/b]]Just saw tweets from Haudricourt and McCalvy both saying that Melvin is unlikely to make any more significant FA signings due to payroll, and that any further moves will probably be through trade. So sounds like my hunch up there was correct (at least for now).

What is classified as a significant FA acquisition?

one year. Less than 5 mil?

How much payroll do the brewers have to spend? I think they are around $82 mil

I'd rather see Melvin go after someone like Correia than give up Gamel+ to get a higher-priced and/or more talented pitcher. I guess the lack of trade rumors had kinda lulled me into a false sense of security that DM wasn't thinking about shipping off Gamel. Now I get nervous.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10509588/Buzz:-Latest-Hot-Stove-news

Little blurb in there about the Brewers talking with the Mariners about Morrow. I don't know if there's anything to it, but it makes me wonder what it would take to get him.

Edit: activated link

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Sounds like unless it is a pre arby pitcher coming our way, the Crew would have to shed some payroll to get another good pitcher. The problem is that we don't have many options for shedding payroll at this point. Suppan really is the only one that would have any effect and the only way he gets traded is for another bad contract.

I suppose you could trade Suppan and a handful of good prospects to a large market team (A team that can handle the contract) and we might be able to get something of value back but that seems doubtful to me.

I would have loved for the Brewers to go after Meche but that seems near impossible at this point due to payroll concerns

Well, turns out Vasquez WAS avaiable... and he's going to the Yankees. I'm guessing Melvin didn't want to pay his 11 million for this season, but I still think he dropped the ball on this one. Acquiring Vasquez would have improved our rotation in a major way.

Well, turns out Vasquez WAS avaiable... and he's going to the Yankees. I'm guessing Melvin didn't want to pay his 11 million for this season, but I still think he dropped the ball on this one. Acquiring Vasquez would have improved our rotation in a major way.

Actually Melvin asked about Vazquez earlier in the off season and the Braves were not interested in Hart who Melvin wanted to trade to the Braves for Vazquez. Obviously it would have included a middling prospect but I believe the Braves were not interested in anything that the Brewers had to offer other than Gamel obviously and I don't believe that the Brewers should have traded Gamel for Vazquez.

with the trade demands for starting pitcher so steep and many of the fa pitchers signing already doesnt it make sense for melvin to make a run for garland or justin duescherer? ben sheets would be my top pick but he will be too expensive. duescherer was really good with oakland before he got injured but all signs point to him being ready for next season and garland has always been a fav of mine so i would be all for one of these 2. word is the pirates are making a run for justin right now so i hope dm isnt playing a waiting game.

The kicker to me is that Hart is a significantly better hitter than Cabrera, who isn't really that much better of a fielder than Corey (at least, not enough to offset the bat imo). So what would this have looked like from the Brewers' perspective? Hart+Bucci/Heckathorn? Hart+Bucci+Heckathorn? It seems Melvin wanted the certainty of having his 'big' newly-acquired SP around for more than just 2010.

I wonder if the Tigers are really serious about trading Verlander. I know that they have said that anything is possible about trading some contracts and that they are looking to clear some more payroll. I wonder what it would take for the Tigers to trade Verlander. Obviously it is going to take a MLB ready pitcher plus a couple of other prospects to get Verlander from the Tigers.

I wonder if a Salome, Parra, Cain/Schafer, and Scarpetta/Odorizzi. I'm not sure on the Tigers farm system so not sure if they would want Salome and Parra I'm not sure the Tigers would want either. Arnett is probably more along the lines that the Tigers would want but that would remove Salome from the list and probably any other pitcher in the deal that is in the top 20 for the Brewers.

Archived