Brewer Fanatic

How about Corey Hart for John Maine?

I think this would be a trade that could help both teams. Maine would definitely be an upgrade over Looper at a lower price and Hart could play first base or left field for the Mets. Maine is not exactly great but could be a nice 4th or 5th starter. We could then move Gamel to right field to replace Hart.

I would make this trade in a heartbeat. Both players ( I believe) have 2 arbitration years left. The question is, why would the Mets? Assuming Maine gets about $5m this year and $7.5 next, that is essentially a 2 year $12.5m deal. For a 4.30era/1.30 whip pitcher, that is an absolute steal.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=6041

The Mets (even losing Delgado) have better and cheaper players in the outfield and at first base. I suppose if the Mets decide to let Sheffield go, they could plug in Hart, but honestly, i don't think Hart with his .740 OPS has much value as a corner outfielder.

I do not know how great the Mets OF'ers are. Didn't they trade for Jeff Francoeur? He had a worse OPS than Hart this year and Hart can steal you some bases. That said I have no idea why the Mets who seem to lack pitching would trade Maine.

Francoeur hit .311/.338/.498/.836 in his 75 games with the Mets. While he might not sustain that over next season, he's 2 years younger than Hart and would be a push at best. Why would the Mets trade young, cheap, pitching for someone who wouldn't be an upgrade.

Looks like Hart's 2007 season might have been the outlier. I see Corey at a .270/.330/.420/.750 hitter going forward

I think I suggested a while back that Maine might be non-tendered, especially if they wonder about his ongoing health. If so, he may not cost much at all. Seems I recall the Mets questioning his toughness, or desire to return a month or so ago.

Maine would jump at the chance to come here if we add Rick Peterson as our pitching coach. Maine was an underacheiving nobody before he got with Peterson, and has regressed since the Mets fired him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I read in the past couple of weeks that there was some minor rumblings that the Mets weren't high on Maine - pretty much for the reasons some have said - his health, some questions of his toughness, etc. His numbers have declined each of the last three years, and there's some disturbing signs (like his 38/55 BB/K rate).

That said, the Mets need some power badly. Their top home run hitter had 12 last year. Yes - 12 HR.

Jeff Francoeur played well for them, so he's probably their RF (but he's no guarantee of success). But Hart might work if they can't sign anyone. The options are guys like Daniel Murphy and Fernando Tatis, which isn't inspiring. The free agent market will be tough - unless they lay out some major bucks for Bay or Holiday, better options might be Abreu or a rehabbing guy like Xavier Nady.

Hart could always be moved to 1B, but the Mets probably have better options than him.

Perhaps something like would work simply because the Mets are desperate to rework the team, and will move pieces they are not thrilled with for someone who might be better.

The Mets have some serious problems with their pitching staff so I don't know that they're going to be looking to trade Maine, one of their (slightly) more reliable pitchers. Francour has been a fan favorite and clubhouse favorite on the mets. Then you have Beltran in center. I guess left field is questionable with Sheffield likely retiring(?) or not being wanted back, but I don't see them wanting Hart.

Hart is average and has the potential (and the past) to be a 20HR/20 SB/40 2B guy. That's a tempting array to teams that are not in the top 5 run producers.
Tempting for free, but I don't think teams are going to trade much of any value back over to the Brewers for a $4M Hart (guessing at arby cost). My opinion is the Brewers will have to tack some value on to Hart to get any type of pitcher (that isn't Suppan-overpaid), that we would plan on starting next year, back in trade.

Biggest issue is that the Brewers don't really have anyone to replace Hart.

It shouldn't be that hard to replace a 1 WAR corner outfielder.

It is when you have only $4m to spend. I mean they could keep Cameron and play Gerut in RF but that costs more.

Archived