Brewer Fanatic

Manny Parra to undergo minor arthroscopic shoulder surgery

trwi7

Apparently, Parra has been pitching with slight discomfort in the shoulder.
Gawrsh what a surprise. Young pitcher suddenly loses all command and turns in an ERA 2 points higher than the year before. It's really amazing he got through the entire year without a torn labrum or needing TJ surgery. That's the way he was pitching-like he was injured. I expected to hear something like this all season.
...assistant general manager Gord Ash....said Parra's shoulder was not considered a problem, that Parra just had some "irritation" in the shoulder on occasion during the season.
Hmmm, really? The fact he was consistently terrible all year didn't make anyone wonder if the shoulder might, indeed, be a problem? Who are these monkeys making decisions?
Raasch is going to smooth out the area where the clavicle and AC joint come together.
I'm sure that "neck pain" that caused him to miss 3 starts last month had nothing to with this.
...said Ash. "He dealt with it all year but it didn't stop him from pitching."
Didn't stop him from pitching ineffectively at least.

Was it a problem all year or just recently? I only ask because I don't buy into the constant excuse train that comes out to cover every bad outing by Bush, Suppan, and Parra.

From the blog.

"He dealt with it all year but it didn't stop him from pitching."

Was it a problem all year or just recently? I only ask because I don't buy into the constant excuse train that comes out to cover every bad outing by Bush, Suppan, and Parra.

Injured pitchers tend to pitch poorly, happens to every team.

Braden Looper is having some "surgery" too. Scapegoats all around for pitchers with record-high ERA's.
I would rather poor performance come with an explanation such as an injury, then just a shrug and a "we'll get 'em next year" attitude.

I only ask because I don't buy into the constant excuse train that comes out to cover every bad outing by Bush, Suppan, and Parra.

I just don't get this sentence MJ... you think injured pitchers should pitch like they do when they're healthy? Of course they're going to pitch poorly when they're injured...

Yes when injured they pitch poorly but everytime Bush, Suppan, Parra have a bad outing it gets blamed on injury or recovery or anything but not being a good pitcher or having no control. Yet check out the McClung thread and see posters with the attitude of McClung sucks and not a mention of blaming his performance on injury.

Bush was flat out terrible in September after he was returned to the rotation. He made 7 starts after returning to the rotation and was rocked in 5 of them. He made a couple rehab starts in the minors first as well and wasn't too impressive. He has a history of having stretches of just being bad and I would give him the benefit of the doubt for his first couple starts at most but after that his performance can't be laid down at the feet of getting line drived 3 months earlier. He was healthy enough to pitch so at some point the results have to mean something and all the wishes and projections can drop off.

Samething for Suppan. He came off the DL and made 9 starts, 4 were terrible, 1 was incomplete as he only went 2 innings, 4/8 times he was bad. Two of the worst ones came at the end, furthest from when he was actually on the DL. The guy just isn't very good anymore, DL or not.

Parra's problem is walks and making pitches when he needs to. He was still bringing it in at 93+ not something a pitcher does when seriously hurt. Can a guy lose control as a sympton of being hurt? Sure, but he has exhibited this problem all year. If he was seriously injured or in pain I would expect he or the training staff would say something. Soreness is part of the game and effects on his mechanics would be noticed as well by pitching coaches and the like who I would trust to know more than any of us on the message boards.

As was mentioned earlier, Looper is having some surgery too should we blame his poor performance on injury too? And how did Trevor Hoffman at 42 overcome a spring training oblique injury, shouldn't that dog him all year?

I get injuries play a part but eventually either a guy is healthy enough to pitch or he isn't and the blame has to fall on talent or ability.

I am just not willing to chalk up all the bad performances by mediocre (Bush and Suppan) or young/unproven (Parra) guys to injuries earlier in the season. We as fans can put all the lipstick we want on this rotation but it still doesn't erase the actual on the field results or expectations for those pitchers by fans not being caught up in homerism or love of the team.

Archived