Brewer Fanatic

Hoffman Close to Signing; Latest -- '10 deal signed for $8 mil, plus mutual option for '11 (reply #33)

crewcrazy

Hoffman amazes me. Early 40's, and he still put up a season better than his career numbers. During what should be well beyond his decline phase. We have one of the greatest relief pitchers ever, and it only took one day after the season to negotiate with him. He WANTS to be here.

My avatar says it all about this deal.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cots is truly amazing. Per the site: http://mlbcontracts.blogs...1/milwaukee-brewers.html If I'm reading this right, the 2011 option is $8m. If the Brewers want to decline it, they will buyout the option for $500k, or $1m if Hoffman finishes 40 games in 2010.

Edit:

How many relievers are locks for the 2010 bullpen right night that were good in 2009? DiFelice, Stetter and Coffey, anybody else? The Brewers have relievers that could be good in 2010, but I don't think the Brewers thought they had enough reliable depth going into next season.

The Brewers have one more year of Prince guaranteed and should do everything to maximize the win potential.
Prince is still under team control for the 2011 season. It will be his third and last year under arby.

Now the Brewers may feel compelled to move him after 2010 because they will get more value by trading him (and saving his arbitration salary) than letting him walk the following year for just picks.

I'm okay with the Hoffman signing. I understand how it is just one inning and isn't statistically significant, but you hear all the time players and managers say they feel so much better when they know they have a decent closer on their team. That is something that stats can't put a number to, but probably does show up in a team's play over the long run. I would think it gets discouraging when your team loses games to saves and the other teams walk out their closer that is going pretty good.

I do think that the Hoffman signing is evidence that MA has materially increased Melvin's budget for 2010. If the budget was to remain in the $90M vicinity then I wouldn't have pulled the trigger on Hoffman if I was Melvin before seeing how free agency and other trades would effect my budget.

Cots is truly amazing. Per the site: http://mlbcontracts.blogs...1/milwaukee-brewers.html If I'm reading this right, the 2011 option is $8m. If the Brewers want to decline it, they will buyout the option for $500k, or $1m if Hoffman finishes 40 games in 2010.

Edit:

How many relievers are locks for the 2010 bullpen right night that were good in 2009? DiFelice, Stetter and Coffey, anybody else? The Brewers have relievers that could be good in 2010, but I don't think the Brewers thought they had enough reliable depth going into next season.

I think they keep Vargas (I think he's just short of FA). He's not this good but at his cost he's decent. I think Narveson is competing for a rotation spot or given McClung's job for sure. So that's 6 right there.

Has there been any word on DiFelice's shoulder? If he needs another surgery he's not a lock and his career may be over.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Isn't a "mutual option" the exact same as "free agency"?

Not if the Brewers decline his option and have to pay a buyout of $500K - $1M. I would consider that buyout to be substantial enough to be quite a bit different from free agency.

The Brewers have one more year of Prince guaranteed and should do everything to maximize the win potential.
Prince is still under team control for the 2011 season. It will be his third and last year under arby.

Now the Brewers may feel compelled to move him after 2010 because they will get more value by trading him (and saving his arbitration salary) than letting him walk the following year for just picks.

I understand Prince is still under control for 2011. But as you point out, it may be in their best interest to trade him after 2010. That's why I used "guaranteed" and made the point they should go for it in 2010.

Who says he is even guaranteed to be here in 2010? His value is higher right now that it ever has been before, and it's hard for me to see it going much higher. Chances are you'd get the most in return for him right now. Not saying I want to lose Prince right now, but I think it's a definite possibility. Just because we signed him to a two-year deal doesn't tell me that we're keeping him for those two years for sure.

Per http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/63675012.html the deal is slightly different than what we previously thought.

2010 salary of $7.5 million.

2011 mutual option for $7 million with a $500,000 buyout. Thus, Hoffman is guaranteed $8 million in this deal with his 2010 salary, plus the buyout.

But, the 2011 option salary increases to $7.5 million if Hoffman finishes 35 games in 2010. And the buyout increases to $750,000.

If Hoffman finishes 40 games next season, that option salary increases to $7.75 million and the buyout increases to $1 million.

If Hoffman finishes 45 games next season, the option salary increases to $8 million.

If Hoffman finishes 50 games next season, the option salary increases to $8.5 million.

Who says he is even guaranteed to be here in 2010? His value is higher right now that it ever has been before, and it's hard for me to see it going much higher. Chances are you'd get the most in return for him right now. Not saying I want to lose Prince right now, but I think it's a definite possibility. Just because we signed him to a two-year deal doesn't tell me that we're keeping him for those two years for sure.
I'm all for trading Fielder if we package him with Suppan and get a very good young (cheap and under control) pitcher plus clean them out of whoever they have that is good, young and cheap in their organization - despite position.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

$8 million is a lot for Trevor, but he was delivered the goods this past season, so let's ride that horse one more time.

Plus - and I can't stress how important this is - Hoffman wanted to be back, the club loved the professionalism, the attitude he brought to the staff, and positive influence he had. Those are small things, but you can't stress enough that Trevor wanted to be here.

I know BA noted this relatively early in the season, but it looked like Yo developed a nicer changeup this season. Not sure whether or not that's related directly to Hoffman, but even if he wasn't the influence on Yo dabbling more, it can't hurt to have him around for Yo to ask questions.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The only reason I might dislike this signing is if it comes out later that we couldn't afford Cameron because we signed Hoffman. Of the two, I would much rather have Cameron.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The only reason I might dislike this signing is if it comes out later that we couldn't afford Cameron because we signed Hoffman. Of the two, I would much rather have Cameron.
Here is how I am looking at it. If we can keep both ... great. However, I'm assuming (given the weak FA starting pitching pool) without looking at this list that Braden Looper is about the #4 or #5 best option available. If signing Hoffman costs us Cameron, I'd assume Melvin will just roll the extra Cameron money over to Looper and bring him back. Now, if signing Cameron would have cost us Hoffman, I'd assume Coffey gets elevated to the closer spot and we can't afford Looper either. So for me ...

Hoffman/Gerut/Looper > Coffey/Cameron/(Villa/McClung/#5)

I'd rather give Gerut the chance in center with two reliables rather than have a reliable in center and two question marks...

A first ballot Hall of Famer getting his 600th save in a Brewer uniform is huge. The national spotlight leading up to that game will be a boost for ticket sales, tv ratings and even merchandise. Plus, having "Trevor Time" has to provide at least a little boost in all three categories for the entire season. The signing not only makes baseball sense, but it makes business sense as well. Mark A is no fool.

By the way, did anyone know that Hoffman just had the second best season of his career if you use ERA+? 229 was second to 1998's 263 when he finished 2nd in Cy Young and 7th in MVP voting. Just saying.

I'm willing to take the chance the difference between Cameron and Gerut is much less than the difference between Hoffman and Joe Schlubcloser.
Apologies for the tangent, but Joe Schlubcloser is the best faux name I've seen for a Brewers pitcher since last spring, when the poster Darnell Junior used "Yo-gag-me Guy-sucko." Tip of the cap.

(Edit: here's the previous post)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived