Brewer Fanatic

Padres fire Towers; Jays fire Ricciardi

Invader3K
Suppan is still slightly above replacement level at least.

Suppan has been below replacement level for 2 years running.

Pitcher WAR comes up with a lot of flawed results IMO, I don't like VORP or WAR because they consistently list guys who have above replacement level ERA year after year as being below replacement level. When a stat jumps around a lot it can just be hard to use but when it consistently gives what I consider flawed results I just can't use it.

I mean I find it hard to buy that Suppan was below replacement level but Wellemeyer wasn't since Wellemeyer was even worse than Suppan by peripherals and much worse by ERA. I'm guessing it is because the entire system is built off of FIP which is flawed in the first place.

I mean I find it hard to buy that Suppan was below replacement level but Wellemeyer wasn't since Wellemeyer was even worse than Suppan by peripherals and much worse by ERA.

It has Wellemeyer below replacement level too. However, Wellemeyer had better periferils than Suppan.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

JP made a slew have terrible deals, ruined a once great farm system, and gave out terrible contracts like thet were lollipops. Despite a huge budget, and the fact that he inherited some great players, he ran them into a hopeless situation.

I think this puts it exceptionally well. JP was fired because he wasn't a good GM, not because his hands were shackled by some mysterious budget constraints.

Well to be fair the Blue Jay have had only one sub 70 win season since 2000 with a bunch of winning seasons. Its just that 85 wins isn't enough in the AL East but would work in the other 2 AL divisions or in the NL.
Not to mention not having to play New York, Boston, and Tampa 36-50 games a season.

Not to mention not having to play New York, Boston, and Tampa 36-50 games a season.

Before last season Tampa was one of the worst franchices in the history of modern baseball. Baltimore has been brutal too. Toronto's sceduale has been no tougher than anyone elses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The Blue Jays had a huge differential between the Pythagorean record and their actual w/l. Actual record was 75-87, Pytha, 84-78. The offense was pretty good, the pitching mediocre, suffering big from injuries.

They've average 84 wins from 2005-2008. Last year's 86-76 would have them tied for the AL Central title right now. They would have finished 2-1/2 games behind the White Sox in 2008. They had the 6th best record in the league in 2006. I understand it was probably time for a change, but there hasn't been that big a difference between the Blue Jays and Twins, or White Sox, Tigers, or Indians in the last few years. Or the Brewers, really.

Toronto's schedule has been no tougher than anyone elses.
You make a good point. However, the difference with the AL East is upper 80's to 90 wins gets you 3rd place. In almost every other division in baseball that kind of win total puts you in the running at least every couple seasons, if not every single year. Getting from 90 to 95+ wins is tremendously expensive and often not worth it, unless you are in a huge market that is guaranteed great attendance and fantastic broadcast revenues.

I'd take Ricarrdi as my GM anyday.

Even if he thinks you don't like baseball?

He must not be the only one that thinks Dunn doesn't like baseball. He had to go play for the Senators.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Archived