Brewer Fanatic

McClung frustrated

Invader3K

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/10/mcclung_tweets_from_the_heart.html

McClung last month set up an account on Twitter -- @73_MC -- and has used it to communicate with fans during a busy month. McClung returned Sept. 19 from about seven weeks on the disabled list with a sprained elbow, but before appearing in Thursday's series finale at Coors Field he had only pitched once since being activated.

On Wednesday night, he tweeted: "U know that saying, the writing is on the wall? I think I can make out more than just letters concerning me."

McClung, who is arbitration-eligible after the season, was asked on Thursday morning to clarify. He was hesitant to take his feelings to the media.

"It can be interpreted any way you want," McClung said of his tweet. "I'm not complaining, I'm not trying to make trouble. I'm just frustrated. I don't mean to talk about it in the media, but I'm honest with myself and it's hard to watch situations come up in which I've performed exceedingly well in the past, and get passed over. Now we're going on nine days since I've pitched last. I'm not saying I'm better than anybody else, I just think it's my turn. Beyond that, I really don't want to talk about it in the media."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

There is no reason to use him. McClung was terrible this year and has just come back from the DL.
Most of our pitchers were terrible this year.

Does Macha ever talk to his players? Maybe he forgot that Seth was on the team or though he was another one of Don Money's kids.

Does Macha ever talk to his players? Maybe he forgot that Seth was on the team or though he was another one of Don Money's kids.
Honestly, I forgot about him until he came in to pitch last week.

"McClung was terrible this year"
Was not. He was terrible in his two starts and his last 4 relief appearances before going on the DL. Pretty typical for pitchers to look crappy right before going on the DL. For most of his season he was fine; the same old Seth McClung we've seen since he arrived.

I don't he's arbitration eligible; I think he's a free agent. He's already had his 3 arby years, '07, '08, '09, according to Cot's. Wait, that must be wrong, he'll have just a little over 5 years service time after this year. Clarification, please? At any rate I wouldn't just cut him loose. He's worth keeping around if he'll agree to something in the $2.5 million range. That's cheaper than Weathers, who really hasn't been any good.

A friend was at a game a few weeks ago and sat near the bullpen. McClung was talking with the fans and was not at all happy with Macha. Macha has players he likes and those he doesn't. The players he likes play all the time, and the ones he doesn't like never play. This would be why guys llike Kendall play every day, while Gamel rode the bench with extremely sporadic play until he became psychologically ruined and had to be sent down. IIRC, he's had one AB in the past two weeks, and that was a home run. Counsell was given nearly every day duty until Macha decided he didnt want to ruin his stat line by playing him while he was in a slump, so he's sat lately. Braun was sat twice in a week whie he was chasing history, until he complained publically, and he's too good not to play. Butler sat the bench until after not pitching forever he was finally brought in and was unable to throw a strike so he was sent packing. I think Axford's still on the team, but there's no way to tell. Hart got hurt, so Macha decided to play "his guy" Cat instead of our likely CF of the future Gerut. His reasoning for finally playing Gerut was "I think he's ready to have a hot streak." I'd guess Melvin whipped a hot streak across Macha's behind for not playing him, because Melvin wants to see what he has before he makes a decision on Cameron.

I'll stop ranting, but Macha seems to have the Milton Bradley aproach to clubhouse harmony. If you don't personaly like a guy, get him completely out of his rhythm and then put him in a position to fail. That will get the fans upset with the player and cause the player to be dealt from the team (or at least give him justification to never play that player).

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I don't he's arbitration eligible; I think he's a free agent. He's already had his 3 arby years, '07, '08, '09, according to Cot's. Wait, that must be wrong, he'll have just a little over 5 years service time after this year. Clarification, please? At any rate I wouldn't just cut him loose. He's worth keeping around if he'll agree to something in the $2.5 million range. That's cheaper than Weathers, who really hasn't been any good.

I though McClung was arby eligible, but one of the things he told my friend was that he loves Milwaukee, but will not come back if Macha is still here. That and hearing BA say that McClung will be a free agent leads me to believe he'll be a FA, and will only be back if Macha is gone.

Monty, you have Macha pegged to a T and that is why bringing him back next year will be a huge mistake. His communication skills are beyond horrible and its clear that most of the players cant stand him yet Melvin will bring him back.

Thanks, bklyn, and I unenthusiastically agree with you that there is a good chance Macha will be back. Not sticking up for Yost here, but he was terrible with the media, so they hated him. If the media hates someone, it doesn't take long for the mass populace to hate them. Macha was in the media, and is a media darling. Whenever he's on Brewers 360, no matter what he says, the hosts chuckle on about how much they love Macha. Therefore, the mass populace still like the guy.

For me (and I may change my mind as the offseason progresses) holding onto Macha will mean that I will probably do a lot more fishing and golfing next year, as I will not subject myself to the frustraion I've had with Macha for another season. Here's to holding out hope that Moday's press release is about Macha's dismissal.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Not to turn this into a Macha thread, and not to really defend Macha either (because I don't care for him either), but monty, so much of what you said about Macha is just factually wrong

Would you care to maybe tell us which parts you disagree with?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Honestly, I forgot about him until he came in to pitch last week.

"McClung was terrible this year"
Was not. He was terrible in his two starts and his last 4 relief appearances before going on the DL. Pretty typical for pitchers to look crappy right before going on the DL. For most of his season he was fine; the same old Seth McClung we've seen since he arrived.

joe,

Sorry but you're wrong. McClung wasn't good at any point this year. True his ERA didn't balloon until he started, but he prior to his first start, he had allowed 39 hits and 23 walks in 41 2/3 innings. That's a 1.49 WHIP which belies the 3.24 ERA he had at the time. His WHIP for the year is a lousy 1.63. Even Villanueva had a much better WHIP (1.41).

No way do you offer him arbitration. Not that he'd get much. But signing Vargas is a higher priority. Vargas was picked up to replace McClung and he outpitched him. With Hoffman (assuming he's re-signed), Coffey, Vargas, Villanueva, Smith, DiFelice, Axford, and maybe Weathers, they don't need McClung.

That McClung blames Macha is laughable.

Would you care to maybe tell us which parts you disagree with?

Gamel being "psychologically ruined" is just subjective opinion with no bearing. Same thing with the Counsell statement. And even the Braun statement. None of that is fact based though, and nobody can say what's right or wrong there.

As far as factually;

he's had one AB in the past two weeks, and that was a home run

He needs to be starting and getting more ABs no doubt, but he's not gone more than 4 days without an AB since he was called back up.

Butler sat the bench until after not pitching forever he was finally brought in and was unable to throw a strike so he was sent packing.

He pitched 3 times in a week before he was sent home for the year. Again, I don't agree with how he was handled, but that's also not true.

I think Axford's still on the team, but there's no way to tell.

He just pitched in 2 out of 3 in CO, as well as three times last week.

monty, what exactly did McClung say about Macha? Did he come right out and say, "I don't like Ken Macha." Not that I don't believe you, but just wondering if your friend told you any specific quotes. It's interesting that we keep getting these rumblings about players not being happy with Macha. Obviously Melvin has heard these rumblings, but I wonder if he'll just brush them aside or take them seriously when deciding if Macha comes back or not.

How many crappy players not getting playing time have said that about their coach/manager in the history of sports? "he only plays the players he likes, he doesn't like me", give me a break. If this year psychologically ruined Gamel, he better be put on suicide watch if something really bad ever happens to him. It sounds to me like immature players have a problem with Macha.

Good point that McClung was replaced by Vargas who outpitched him. Seems like a pretty good decision in my opinion and McClung doesn't really seem to have any grounds for complaining publicly.

What's interesting about this thread is that most people seem to agree with management's decision not to play McClung, but most of the posts are about firing Maccha regardless.

Macha has players he likes and those he doesn't.

Sounds a lot like their previous manager.

His WHIP for the year is a lousy 1.63. Even Villanueva had a much better WHIP (1.41).

Unfortunately JB, WHIP is bit of a flawed stat. I put more weight into OPS-A; McClung WHIP wasn't an accurate picture of his performance because most of the WHIP he had given up (prior to starting) were predominantly walks and singles; prior to starting his OPS-A was in the low .600, and his SLG-A was actually lower than his OBP-A. CV's WHIP were a lot more extra base hits; CV was better than McClung at missing bats, but when he didn't miss bats he got hit hard. When CV's changeup is working (and he's spotting his fastball) he's good, but when he isn't he gives up extra base hits. McClung's stuff (95mph fastball and 75mph curve) allows him to not get hit as hard.

WHIP has it's place - it's similar to OBP. But it doesn't tell the whole story. It's a bit like Gamel vs. Kendall - the same OBP, but Gamel hits a lot more home runs and doubles whereas with Kendall it's mostly walks and singles.

But the point is about Macha, and I think the playing favorites thing, if true, means he needs to go.

Louis, how did you calculate his OPS-A for that time frame. I am looking at baseball reference and seeing that it was .723 against (Apr 7-Jun23) but admitedly could be making a mistake with the site.

Either way, I don't put a lot of stock in 40 IP that he was decent for when he has been pretty bad the rest of his career. I mean, you can find 40 innings where Soup pitched well in the last two years...that doesn't make him a good pitcher. Also, I think what really doomed our staff this year (besides the obvious injuries) was inefficient pitching. Seth was exhibit A in this regard. In that time frame that he was "having success" he was still putting way too many men on base even if it was just singles or walks.

As you can probably tell from my post, I don't want to see him back next year and am not too sympathetic to his tweets.

It's really understandable that Seth is frustrated. He showed some nasty stuff last year and did regress this year. I'd like Seth back, but since he's in arbitration I doubt he'd do it for as much as he made this year, honestly he should make less. He said at Busch on Saturday that he feels that Macha hates him and doesn't play him for that reason. So I understand his frustrations.... when management doesn't give you a chance to prove yourself (and I'm basing this after post DL) and it's your living, you'll be bitter.

monty, what exactly did McClung say about Macha? Did he come right out and say, "I don't like Ken Macha." Not that I don't believe you, but just wondering if your friend told you any specific quotes. It's interesting that we keep getting these rumblings about players not being happy with Macha. Obviously Melvin has heard these rumblings, but I wonder if he'll just brush them aside or take them seriously when deciding if Macha comes back or not.

Basically (and remember, this is second hand), somone asked McClung when he was coming off the DL, to which he replied "I've been back for a week" and something about only pitching once. The fan said "why haven't you pitched more," and McClung replied "because Macha hates me." When asked if the feeling was reciprocal, I won't say the exact quote my fried told me, but it could be nicely summed up as "yes." When asked if he was coming back next year, he said something to the effect of "I love Milwaukee, and would love to be back, but there is no chance I'm coming back if Macha's here." It does appear that he is arby eligible, so he doesn't have full say in the matter, but he obviously won't want to be here now that Macha is definitely back.

I agree with many that McClung isn't a world beater, but he does have value as a middle reliever, and definitely has "plus stuff." I would bet that he will be pitching on a major league staff next season. This seems a case of burning a bridge simply because you happen to have a match. Hoffman, Cameron and even Kendall saying they'd love to come back likely has more weight to other potential FAs than McClung saying he hates Macha, but you hate to have anyone out there telling potential Brewers that they do not want to sign here.

On to what I believe to be more important now that Macha's back: I really hope that Gamel is traded for pitching this offseason. If he were going to be moved to the OF, he would have been told already, as Bill Hall was a couple of years ago. Macha has already said 3B is McGehee's to start next season, which means that barring injury Gamel will not see any playing time for at least the first two months of next season. If McGehee is playing even moderately well for these two months, Gamel will not play all of next year. In the not-too-distant future, Gamel is going to be seen as too old to be a prospect anymore. If we want to trade while value is still high, I think a package including Gamel this offseason should be able to bring back a good young pitcher.

To a lesser degree, I also think that if Melvin believes any of his young relievers are major league capable, he should not bring Weathers back. Since Hoffman is the closer, under Macha Vargas, Coffee and Weathers would each pitch 75-80 games and the young pitchers would each get about one appearance per week, leading to poor control, leading to stat disciples saying they all stink, leading to us bringing in another high priced veteran that won't be any better than the player he replaced... just older and more expensive, which is what Macha wants. Weathers should only be brought back (for $3.7MM if I'm correct) if Melvin doesn't believe that players like Axford, Dillard, Smith, etc. are capable ML relievers.

~Bill Walsh

Macha has already said 3B is McGehee's to start next season

Macha is a knucklehead, and if Melvin isn't able to take away Ken's shiny new Casey by trading him, I will be even more disappointed with Melvin than I am with Macha.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived