Brewer Fanatic

Suppan may start Sunday 10/4

sgtcluels

It just amazes me how many people still defend Suppan. Must be because he seems like such a good dude off the field or something.

The alternatives are worse. I doubt anybody is happy with Suppan, especially given his contract.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Suppan starting instead of Narveson? I'm getting sick of this organization. When did they turn into herd of morons?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I'm not claiming that Suppan is the next Cy Young, just that he holds some value in the sense that he doesn't get injured and puts up decent number for a number 5 starter.
Suppan has spent time on the DL in each of the past few seasons, has he not?

I'm not sure whether this is worse than the Jose Hernandez benching or not. Is this organization truly regressing to the Taylor/Lopes/Royster era again?

Guys like JJ Hardy, Mike Rivera or Matt Gamel need to 'perform' to see the field, yet for some reason Suppan is run out there to give him a stupid career milestone?

How's this for a hilarious statistic. Suppan "held" opposing hitters to a .896 OPS this year. To put it into perspective, Evan Longoria had an OPS of .892! In other words, having Suppan on the mound is WORSE than going against a lineup of 9 Evan Longorias!

Another notable fact: The average OPS of NL All-Star starters was .843 (.899 if you don't count the pitcher). That means having Suppan on the mound is essentially like facing the NL All-Star starting lineup every game...without the pitcher's spot!!

Also, something that will really put the awfulness of the starting staff into perspective for those who don't like ERA. Of the 67 NL pitchers who pitched at least 100 innings, 4 of our starters appear in the bottom 7 slots for OPS against. Truly one of the worst starting staffs ever put onto a baseball field.

How's this for a hilarious statistic. Suppan "held" opposing hitters to a .896 OPS this year. To put it into perspective, Evan Longoria had an OPS of .892! In other words, having Suppan on the mound is WORSE than going against a lineup of 9 Evan Longorias!

Another notable fact: The average OPS of NL All-Star starters was .843 (.899 if you don't count the pitcher). That means having Suppan on the mound is essentially like facing the NL All-Star starting lineup every game...without the pitcher's spot!!

Also, something that will really put the awfulness of the starting staff into perspective for those who don't like ERA. Of the 67 NL pitchers who pitched at least 100 innings, 4 of our starters appear in the bottom 7 slots for OPS against. Truly one of the worst starting staffs ever put onto a baseball field.

I'm printing this out and bringing it to Thanksgiving for my stepfather/Suppan apologist.

WOW. THAT IS INCREDIBLE.... Does Soup have value in the pen at all? Seems that it would be a little crowded in there and I always felt like the first inning was his worst. I looked it up and he has a 1.071 OPS in the 4th inning this year. I was wrong.. .Amazing...

Formerly Andersoc420

To reward a pitcher for a season like this......it has to make you wonder what the hell our coaching staff, front office, whoever is running this show is thinking at this point.
No kidding, congrats Jeff on making 30 starts. Too bad you sucked at pitching in the majority of them. My prediction is he doesn't make it out of the 2nd inning. Suppan pitching on 3 days rest is a bad idea. Thank God, 1 more full year of this clown.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I believe Uecker or Cory said that Suppan will go about 2 innings or so and then Narveson will take over from there. They said this during today's broadcast.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

What do you folks think?
I think it's a steaming load of crap! Macha better not have his job by Sunday night. I don't get what this is all about. 30 starts? whoop-di-freaking do! Now if only he would have done something during those 30 starts to actually earn that insane contract, like, I don't know, say, pitch well? ARGH!!!!!!

It just amazes me how many people still defend Suppan. Must be because he seems like such a good dude off the field or something. Worst free agent signing in Brewers history in my opinion.

How soon we forget Jeffrey Hammonds.

Robert

I say the Suppan signing was much worse than Hammond. The Hammonds contract was less than half as much as Suppan's and at least he was hurt much of the time- plus the Brewers had the sense to cut him when he stunk the joint up. Outside of a few 'mental breaks' on the DL, Suppan has been killing this team every fifth day for the past three seasons. There seems to be every indication that he will be doing the same next year.

See, while I think it's a bad signing, I think you overstate how bad he's been. He's basically been a #5 starter. Hammonds had no business even starting, even when healthy. Plus inflation.

I have to say that if they basically give Suppan an inning or two for statistical padding and then bring in Narveson to pitch 5 innings or so, no big deal in the grand scheme. Yeah, it's a gimmick to meet an arbitrary "milestone", but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. I have far bigger things to hold against Macha for September rather than Suppan getting 1 or 2 innings at the beginning of a meaningless game, likely at the expense of some middle reliever.

Robert

See, while I think it's a bad signing, I think you overstate how bad he's been. He's basically been a #5 starter.
I doesn't really matter, but...

When the Brewers signed Suppan they were likely expecting an inflationary market. I don't believe they ever expected Suppan to be a #2 starter. They just hoped that in four years, everyone would be paying #3 or #4 starters $14M a year. Unfortunately, with the down economy, that hasn't been the case - making Suppan's contract even more bloated.

I think the best possible outcome would be Suppan throwing about three pitches before blowing out his arm, requiring surgery that sidelines him all of next year, and the Brewers collect insurance to offset the money he's owed next year.

Then in 2011, out of desperation because of the contracts they are already committed to, Suppan is signed by the Cubs.

Archived