Brewer Fanatic

Who do ya got for a sleeper that we might trade?

I would agree. Gamel looks to be the one to go. Obviously you would think an AL team that has pitching and needs a corner infielder. Texas has pitching but is out as they are log-jammed with Chris Davis, Justin Smoak, whatever they do with Blalock, etc. The Angels, Detroit, Kansas City, and Tampa are almost certainly out as well. Seattle? Branyan and Beltre are both free agents and Seattle probably wants to go younger and cheaper should they extend King Felix.

Who else? Baltimore? I am not sure I'd want to downgrade slightly to a Jake Arrieta or a Jeremy Guthrie (nor do I think they would even-swap Guthrie and Gamel, ironically). And although I think he could play in Oakland, they're main young arms took off too quickly this season.

Minnesota makes sense as Gamel could replace Tolbert, but I would want Blackburn in return in some sort of deal. If you look through the AL teams, there really isn't that great of a fit right now.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've watched Blackburn pitch way too many times the past 2 years, both on TV and in person.

Blackburn can look halfway decent. But far too often he looks ordinary-at-best to very scary. Gamel should net more in return than Blackburn.

Branyan and Beltre are both free agents and Seattle probably wants to go younger and cheaper should they extend King Felix.

The only way I'd like to see Gamel sent to Seattle is if it's in an offer for Hernandez, although I certainly agree that the M's have a spot for Mat. I also think you're right to point to Seattle trying to build around Felix, not deal him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Minnesota makes sense as Gamel could replace Tolbert, but I would want Blackburn in return in some sort of deal. If you look through the AL teams, there really isn't that great of a fit right now.
I'm sorry but Blackburn shouldn't even be in the discussion for a trade for Gamel. Blackburn is more like Bush and that is not a #1 or #2 type of a pitcher that you could get for Gamel. A Bumgarner type of a prospect is what the Brewers would be looking at to get for Gamel not Blackburn that would be a horrible trade.

A Bumgarner-type is WAY more valuable than Gamel. The Giants would want Gamel and another pitching prospect for Bumgarner. They would probably just laugh at us.

Pitchers like Feliz, Bumgarner, Matusz/Tillman, have surpassed Gamel's value about a year ago.

. . . . If Cameron does sign on for another year, he could probably be packaged with another piece to get a once-or-future prospect pitcher-TINSTAPP. . .
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but what's TINSTAPP?

It's been awhile since I've seen the term, but I believe the acronym goes "There Is No Such Thing As a Pitching Prospect." (The underlying idea is that, given the injury potential at the position, it is dangerous to assume that a pitching prospect is as projectable or as "sure" a thing as a position prospect. Someone else can feel free to correct me on this.)

To throw out two more names for sleeper trades: Dave Bush and Hernan Iribarren.

I don't know if the Hurricane qualifies for minor league free agency, but he's at the very least a candidate to be DFA'd off the 40-man roster to make room for Rule 5 protection. His limited ABs with the major league club at the least suggests that he isn't in the long-term plans, despite respectable (but not great) minor league numbers. I could see him being made available for a high-ceiling, low probability pitcher to the right team (Seattle?).

Bush has a career ERA below 5. While last year was a bad year, and the Brewers will likely go in another direction if the opportunity presents itself, the guy still has some value for a back-of-the-rotation starter.

It's been awhile since I've seen the term, but I believe the acronym goes "There Is No Such Thing As a Pitching Prospect." (The underlying idea is that, given the injury potential at the position, it is dangerous to assume that a pitching prospect is as projectable or as "sure" a thing as a position prospect. Someone else can feel free to correct me on this.)

Here is a link dealing with this. Basically pitchers and hitters are equal in the lower rounds, but at the top pitchers are 3 times more likely to fail. 10% for hitters vs 30% for pitchers.

Looking farther into the article linked in that article, only 8% of top 10 pitching prospects became at least middle of the rotation starters.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Well I was taking it a step further in that throwers are quickly discarded (E-Jax, George of the Rose, Scott Kazmir...) and, moreover, second chances are necessary, especially for one-time top pitching prospects. If we could somehow take a shot at a high ceiling arm who has lost a bit of his luster, I would jump at it.

If this team trades Braun, I'm done. That would be the height of stupidity. It would make the Ray Allen trade look great by comparison.
No doubt about it. If they traded Braun while he is in a contract locked up cheap till 2015 I would do something I would think would be impossible. Despise the Brewers. I mean that would be the worst move by almost any franchise ever.

Trading Braun now would be right there with letting Molitor walk after the 92' season. I would be irate. I doubt it will happen but when I heard and read that stuff Witrado said I was so upset. Almost fuming.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I heard that interview and Witrado was quite clearly just stirring the pot. There is no substance to what he said. Braun might be unhappy? Well I'm sure that's true because his team ended up not doing well. It's also true that the sky is blue.

I believe he also said "His contract is very tradeable". You think so? His contract is also very keep-able.

Witrado is a horrible journalist and I can't believe he still has his job.

Archived