Brewer Fanatic

Who do ya got for a sleeper that we might trade?

I guess we all kind of expect Hardy to be dealt. Some think Hart could be too. My question is, do you see any sleeper candidates out there to be traded. We've had threads about McGehee and Gamel, so let's keep them out of this thread too.

My thinking might be Weeks. I could see Jack Z real interested. Let's be honest. Lawrie will be here soon and there's probably a 50/50 chance of Lopez coming back. Now, if teams aren't really scared of Weeks injury, he might have some real value. He's the guy I am going to point to as my sleeper dealt to help us upgrade our starting pitching. Any thoughts on what his value would be, or if we have any other sleepers that could stand a real chance of being dealt?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see Weeks being dealt after missing almost the whole season with an injury. His value would be so low.

I don't really expect any sleeper trades. I think they'll shop Hardy and Hart for pitching, maybe Fielder.

I am going to go with one of the young OF prospects the Brewers have. Schafer, Cain, or Gindl could be a sleeper trade for a good young starting pitcher in the AA or AAA level. Don't forget about Salome and Lucroy also but those two are extremely unlikely to be moved. Cain would have the lowest value of the three outfielders though with him coming off of an injury. These players wouldn't be the main players going to somewhere but they are someone that some people won't think about going in a deal that either sends Hardy or Hart for some pitching.

Does Parra count as a sleeper who may be traded? If we can get a top-20 SP for Parra+ to team with YoGa, I think you have to consider it. Beyond Parra, if Trevor Time continues, I think Coffey could be quite the valuable trade chip. I am a fan, but he's going to be in his final year of control and there are bound to be teams willing to give him a chance to close, especially since he has accumulated saves for multiple teams.

There is a better chance that Yunel or Kelvim Escobar are acquired by the Brewers and traded than the possibility of Alcides being traded anytime in the near future. The OPS is a little low in theory but everything else is ready. No way he gets traded this offseason, it has been stated that J.J. has been playing so much because of all of the scouts that want to see him in person.

Doesn't our current roster configuration look like it's a precursor for a "Richie Sexson-type" deal?

Parra-Capuano (Early success hasn't been built upon)

McGehee-Overbay (Minor league numbers and major league numbers paint two different players)

Lopez-Spivey (Contingent upon him accepting Arby's and then signing off on trade...but those two players are very much alike)

Rivera-Moeller (Back-up catcher with no trust from the front office)

Jeffress/Rogers-George of the Rose (High Upside Arm with minimal track record of success)

Counsell-....Counsell (Throw in to balance salary. Since he isn't owed, he shall simply be renamed Craig Counsell's imaginary contract)

So what type of package could we get for this?

Parra-McGehee-Rivera-Lopez-TINSTAPP

Todd Coffey is a sleeper.

He should get a pretty decent raise in arbitration, but with a lot of teams needing bullpen help, he would be an attractive trading chip nontheless. If the Brewers bring back Hoffman and Vargas (and possibly Weathers), and if Smith and Axford are the real deals and Villanueva bounces back, they might have enough to absorb the loss of Coffey, at least early in the season (if needed bullpen arms are available at the deadline).

good call on Coffey.....

A team like the Philthies could use Coffey, especially in their ball park where you have to put high value on a sinkerballer who can keep the ball in the park & Coffey certainly fits that criteria

Lawrie would be my sleeper. He seems to have the skills yet he didn't rake in Low A. Although he is still very young. From the rumblings I've heard, he isn't really the best of teammates. I'm not sure how true any of it is. But like Laporta, I wouldn't be surprised to hear a little cheering from players and coaches if Lawrie gets traded.

and if Smith and Axford are the real deals
I'm extremely uncomfortable with the rate at which Chris Smith gives up home runs. 11 HR allowed in 45 innings equals a HR rate of 2.2 HR/9. That's easily the worst of any Brewers reliever that has put up any amount of innings.

Don't get me wrong, Chris Smith is a perfect guy to earn frequent flyer miles between Nashville and Milwaukee, but relying on him could be a big mistake.

Now whether that would affect trading Coffey or not is doubtful, but I just hope Smith isn't penciled in as a cog in the 2010 bullpen.

and if Smith and Axford are the real deals
I'm extremely uncomfortable with the rate at which Chris Smith gives up home runs. 11 HR allowed in 45 innings equals a HR rate of 2.2 HR/9. That's easily the worst of any Brewers reliever that has put up any amount of innings.

Don't get me wrong, Chris Smith is a perfect guy to earn frequent flyer miles between Nashville and Milwaukee, but relying on him could be a big mistake.

Now whether that would affect trading Coffey or not is doubtful, but I just hope Smith isn't penciled in as a cog in the 2010 bullpen.

11 is a lot, but despite that high rate, he was pretty effective in his role. His WHIP, K/BB ratio, BAA, are all quite acceptable for your 11th or 12th pitcher.

63 innings isn't a very large sample I admit, but he also gave up 6 home runs in in 18 innings last year for Boston. That makes 17 home runs allowed in 63 career innings. That's a pretty alarming rate. He's got a 32% groundball rate this year, so I think major league hitters are just a lot more capable of hitting him harder obviously.

That said, he's not a horrible choice as a 12th guy. Without digging to deep, I have a feeling he has been fortunate more guys haven't been on base when he's given up the gopher balls.

Just out of curiousity where did Witrado write or blog that Braun is a possibility? I can't seem to find anything stating that and can't imagine a scenario where it would make sense to move him. I mean seriously with a contract like his and control until after 2015, that package better look like Matt Cain, Buster Posey and Madison Bumgarner.

Jeremy Jeffress

Still has a high ceiling. And for the team that "needs to get pitching in return", he is the only real prospect we can offer. (And it might be best for the Brewers and Jeffress to part ways) I think he gets moved with Hardy for a quality pitcher.

Archived