Brewer Fanatic

White Sox a good trading partner?

nate82

I was looking over the White Sox and looking at their team and them possibly not picking up Dye's option for next year. If they do that the White Sox are going to need an OF. I was wondering if a Corey Hart, Lorenzo Cain, and a pitcher for John Ely and a minor prospect would be possible. Ely wouldn't really help the Brewers next year but he looks to be a legitimate #2 or #3 pitcher probably more along the lines of a #3 or a #4 pitcher though.

I think the White Sox may take a Cain + Ely though it would depend on who the other prospects are though. I believe the White Sox would want the Hart + deal though because of how soft the AL Central is. This would be somewhat of a long shot for a trade but I think it could be done. The Brewers have what the White Sox need (young OF) and the White Sox have what the Brewers need (young starting pitching). I don't think the White Sox will trade any of their current MLB pitchers because of the soft division they play in.

I don't believe this would be enough though for Ely. I just can't think of anyone else the White Sox would want maybe Schafer/Cain plus a pitcher would get it done or Hart, Gindl, and a pitcher like Axford would get it done. I know the White Sox will need a corner OF or a CF next year with only Quentin and Rios being in the mix next year realistically so the White Sox are going to have to trade or sign a free agent. There really isn't any young free agent OF's in free agency though so the White Sox would have to choose between an older player or trading for a younger OF player like Hart or Cain.

John Ely

Ely's stats this year

Season Team W L ERA G GS CG ShO SV BS IP TBF H R ER HR BB IBB HBP WP BK SO
2007 White Sox (R) 6 1 3.86 13 12 0 0 0 56.0 230 55 26 24 6 14 0 3 1 0 56
2008 White Sox (A+) 10 12 4.71 27 27 0 0 0 145.1 610 142 83 76 18 46 0 5 6 3 134
2009 White Sox (AA) 14 2 2.82 27 27 1 0 0 156.1 638 140 63 49 9 50 0 1 6 0 125

Season Team K/9 BB/9 K/BB HR/9 AVG WHIP BABIP LOB% FIP
2007 White Sox (R) 9.00 2.25 4.00 0.96 .258 1.23 .325 72.3 % 3.50
2008 White Sox (A+) 8.30 2.85 2.91 1.11 .257 1.29 .310 65.6 % 4.02
2009 White Sox (AA) 7.20 2.88 2.50 0.52 .241 1.22 .293 71.8 % 3.33

problem is that we may need a CF next year too and if not next then the year after. If Cameron is not brought back i really don't like any of the other in house options.

Switching Gamel to RF, and adding a guy like Marlon Byrd, would solve the OF problem. I also think Gerut is a useful player. I think nate82 is taking the right approach. Everyone is focusing on teams that need SS, when teams that might have the type of pitching the Brewers need may be more in need of a Corey Hart than a Hardy.

I'm not sure the Sox would give up Ely, after trading both Porada and Richard in the Peavy deal, but nate82 correctly points out they need OF help. They're counting on Rios to rebound and Quentin, but beyond that, they are talking about bringing back Kotsay. They could also use relief help as Dotel is a FA and there've been rumblings they won't bring back Jenks who figures to get huge arby award.

Ely is a guy who could be major league ready by midseason next year.

problem is that we may need a CF next year too and if not next then the year after. If Cameron is not brought back i really don't like any of the other in house options.
Logan Schafer is just as good as Cain in the OF with Schafer probably being a better defender in CF than Cain. Cain has more upside but I would rather have Ely than Cain to be honest. The Brewers have a lot of OF prospects we don't need another Braun or Fielder from them they just need to be average especially if you are trading one for a pitcher. Ely would be a great addition to the Brewers 2011 rotation.

You could possibly have a rotation in 2011 that would consist of:

Gallardo, Parra, Ely, Narveson, and Butler. That is not including any free agent pitcher or pitcher acquired through a trade. You could probably remove Butler or Narveson from the list and add a free agent pitcher to there. Lets say the Brewers somehow sign Webb to a 2-year deal that rotation would look like Webb, Gallardo, Parra, Ely, and Narveson/Butler which would be more than adequate for the Brewers offense. Yes you would be counting on some young arms to pull you through the season but that starting rotation wouldn't be any worse than the 2008 or 2009 Phillies rotation.

If our 2011 rotation doesn't include Rogers or Rivas then we're in trouble.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

You could possibly have a rotation in 2011 that would consist of:

Gallardo, Parra, Ely, Narveson, and Butler.

Narveson has looked pretty good in the few starts he's had, but I certainly wouldn't pencil him into the 2011 rotation, let alone the 2010 rotation.

I don't know what his contract situation is, but as it stands, I do think he should be in the mix for a back end rotation spot next spring.

If our 2011 rotation doesn't include Rogers or Rivas then we're in trouble.

No not necessarily. Rogers would probably be included in that group for 2011 along with Rivas I was just going with players that I know would have a 100% chance of being in the rotation by 2011. It is the same reason why I didn't put Arnett in there all three have a possibility of starting in 2011 but the chances of that happening are less than Narveson and Butler.

Just so everyone is aware 2011 is Rogers last option year so I hope he opens the season in the rotation. Butler, Cody, and Rivas will be using their first options for 2010 if I remember the list form the minor league forum correctly.

I have a feeling though that if the organization reaches down and grabs them for an injury replacement in 2010 that any of one of Butler, Rogers, or Rivas might pitch well enough that they don't ever relinquish their spot in the rotation. Rivas and Butler could realistically make the jump to 180 IP next year, Rogers probably not but I'll admit there is a small possibility that they push him. I think the more likely scenario is they'd probably have to send him back down to pitch out of the pen at some point, I hope gets another 20 IP or so in the AFL and ends the season around 85 IP. 130 - 140 would be a reasonable amount of IP for 2010 if they were looking at him for a rotation slot in 2011.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived