Brewer Fanatic

The Brewers hire Rick Peterson as pitching coach, Kyles back as bullpen coach, Bosio back as advance scout

BREWCREW5

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was brought in in the trade rumors section, but it belongss here. Petereson is awesome at his job. I consider him the 2nd best in the business behind Dave Duncan. If we get him, i hope we add some power arms for him to work with.

I'm guessing if we get Peterson, Mark Mulder will sign here. A Jeff Suppan/Oliver Perez deal could also be considered.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Peterson has worked under both Macha and Randolph, right?

Pitchers he's worked with who were at their best under him would include Tim Hudson, barry Zito, Mark Mulder, Dan Haren, Oliver Perez, John Maine, and a few more I'm forgetting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I'd really like the move too, provided his loyalty to Macha won't be as strong as Ted Simmons loyalty to Yost was. I'd also be all for a Suppan for Perez deal if we can make it work financially. Mulder I am more iffy on. Wasn't he supposed to play at some point this year? He's almost been out of the game for too long to count on for anything other than AAA depth.

Mulder I am more iffy on. Wasn't he supposed to play at some point this year? He's almost been out of the game for too long to count on for anything other than AAA depth.

I would think Mulder would sign for near minimum, as long as heavey incentives were attached. I would have no problem paying him if he earned innings. He'd be a perfect option as depth.

Peterson is an occasional guest on WFAN.

He comes across as being a little too in love with his own philosophy, and someone who doesn't admit fault when things don't go according to plan. Like someone else is always to blame. And he loves to talk.

I guess all that really matters are the results. It may be worth having him on a one year deal. . .but don't expect miracles.

This is the same pitching coach that pushed for the Victor Zambrano for Scott Kazmir trade that was so terrible. As for Dave Duncan as manager, there is not even a small indication that he is capable of handling that position. I'd love to hire Duncan as our pitching coach but I'd consider it a horrible move to take him on as our manager at this point.

As for Dave Duncan as manager, there is not even a small indication that he is capable of handling that position. I'd love to hire Duncan as our pitching coach but I'd consider it a horrible move to take him on as our manager at this point.
That's why I'm keeping Randolph as my bench coach.

I don't think Duncan will leave St. Louis for another pitching coach job. But if someone offered him manager - he would have to seriously consider it.

I think Duncan will wind up as LaRussa's pitching coach, wherever that is. Is there any information that Duncan is seeking a managerial position exclusively, or is that just your own speculation?

On-topic, I would love to see Peterson hired. That said, I'd hate to see him fired mid-season or after 2010 because the Brewers' pitchers just aren't that good. Peterson would be a great move, but a pointless one unless Melvin can bring in better quality pitching.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Peterson might be the guy.

Melvin recently confirmed an interview with the guy - the only interview he's confirmed - and now Peterson says "Milwaukee is at the very top of my list."

Not only does Peterson want to be Milwaukee's pitching coach, but:

"I'm looking for a home that embraces this [biomechanical] philosophy and wants to implement it throughout the organization," Peterson said. "Milwaukee, from what I can gather, is a forward-looking organization. To me, it's really exciting because I think the philosophies fit."

I'm on-board with trying to implement a consistent philosophy throughout the organization, but if it's a real radical change, I hope the team does its due diligence.

I don't know if I can get excited about hiring Peterson. The Kazmir/Zambrano thing is hard to get past, but hopefully he's learned his lesson about being able to fix guys in 10 minutes. On the bright side, I saw an article about Kazmir calling Peterson for advice this year after he got traded to the Angels, so even though Peterson wanted Kazmir shipped out, Kazmir apparently still respects him, which is a good sign.

Overall, I would probably be happy with the hire. Peterson seems pretty smart and has experienced success in the past. How much of that success was due to him is impossible to know but he's probably worth a try. It's not like he could ruin Suppan, Parra, Bush, or Looper anyway. God that's a depressing 80% of the rotation. I really hope they decline Looper's option.

The Kazmir/Zambrano thing is hard to get past, but hopefully he's learned his lesson about being able to fix guys in 10 minutes. On the bright side, I saw an article about Kazmir calling Peterson for advice this year after he got traded to the Angels, so even though Peterson wanted Kazmir shipped out, Kazmir apparently still respects him, which is a good sign.
Yeah it's getting me excited. McCalvy posted a blog about how Peterson went and helped Kazmir this year. Came back and was lights out.

I predict we sign him, we return a lot of the same pitchers, they all do better. Then he gets the accolades even though it really was just the pitchers regressing to their 3 year averages.
Now wouldn't that be shocking.

Hire him, don't hire him. It won't make much difference unless we get more pitching.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived