Brewer Fanatic

Bengie Molina

sheetskout

Doesn't matter where he bats. His SLG would slightly offset the difference in OBP. It doesn't make sense to me to make a slight upgrade when we could just as easily go with some combination of players we already have. If Molina was younger or could be expected to carry an average OBP I could see making an argument for him. Why chase after a below average hitter good defense or no.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Molina was once a great defender, but that was when he was still in his 20s, before he got fat. He's 35 now, and doesn't throw well at all anymore. He gave up 85 steals this year, throwing out just 23%. His OPS is just 705. Thats about the same as Henry Blanco has done the last few years, and Blanco is far superior defensively.

Theres still numerous teams that don't understand stats that will overpay Molina based on counting stats, but I don't see Melvin as that sucker. Henry Blanco is a superior player for a fraction of the cost. Mike Rivera would likely be similar to Molina if he got regular ABs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

He'd be an upgrade over Kendall, that's for sure. I think he'd be worth a look, but with so many teams being "catching dry", I bet a team will be willing to overpay to bring him in.

Blanco could be a decent option...though earlier this year I couldn't believe he was even still playing and has seemingly gotten better with age.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Offensivly he would fill the large gap that slowed us down in 2009.
He wouldn't though. He would be a minimal offensive upgrade over Kendall at best. If he really is a Type A, it would be a terrible idea to sign him.

I blame Wang.

OBP for a #8 hitter is vital...it helps get the pitcher "out of the way", so the top of the order can lead off, rather than have the near automatic out of the SP up first next inning.

Simply put, there are very few C's that will be available who "do not get out" at a level equal to Kendall, never mind play defense. I like Gregg Zaun, and would take a flyer on Navarro, who was awful this year, but is still young and has produced in the past.

Maybe they can work a decent C into a package involving a SP and JJ, but when the smoke clears, Kendall may be back at a cheaper rate.

Very few? Try 14 this season with a min 300 PAs.
I think you missed a word in DOA's post.

Simply put, there are very few C's that will be available who "do not get out" at a level equal to Kendall, never mind play defense.

I blame Wang.

• 2 weeks later...
I do not want any part of Molina,he has very little upside, he is not going to be cheap, and will likely require us to give up a pick.
I understand he has no upside. I was thinking more of a year to two-year contract until Lucroy (or Salome) are truly ready.

You could get almost identical production as Molina from Miguel Olivo if he turns down his option with the Royals and he's 4 years younger. The only difference is Olivo strikes out a bit more which is actually a plus because he hits into far fewer DP than Molina.

The 50 points in OBP between Olivo and Kendall is more than offset by the 125 or so points of slugging pct.

Bengie Molina is not elite defensively at this point. He is most likely just average. He only threw out 21.3% of baserunners this year. He is an average catcher at best, which would be an upgrade over Kendall of course.

125 points of SLG barely offsets 50 points of OBP. One point of OBP is worth almost 2 points of SLG.

Says who exactly? We're talking about potential #7 hitter in the lineup, (not 8th Al, that's for Escobar right now) so he's not up there to "clear the pitchers spot". He's up there to knock in runs. Olivo, on a terrible KC team drove in 65 runs and scored 51 in 416 plate appearences. Kendall (with the aid of a late flourish) managed to drive in 43 and score 48 in more than 100 more plate appearences (526).

Rallies don't generally start with the 7 hole hitter. If the 7th hitter walks, the 8 hitter doesn't bunt him over with the pitcher up next. But having that guy there with some power can clean up some bases and be a one man rally with the long ball.

Says who exactly? We're talking about potential #7 hitter in the lineup,

Runs scored is determined by a teams OBA and slugging percentage. The Brewers finished 3rd in Runs Scored this year because they were 3rd in OPS, not because we had a supposed RBI guy in a certain spot in the lineup. The 7th hitter is just as likely to lead off an inning as any other hitter after the 1st inning.

Molina is a poor player, and should be playing for about $800 K.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived