Brewer Fanatic

The future of Jeremy Jeffress

twobrewers
I don't understand why its so horrible to give him a September call-up? The minor league season is over the 1st week of September, so either we stop his development there, or call him up. His 4 seam fastball is good enough to compete in the majors now. The only thing holding him back (on the mound) in the past was the Brewers insistance that he develop a 2 seamer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as I'm concerned, adding Jeffress to the 40-man roster was borderline unethical. I'm not sure if any other prospect has ever been in the same situation and Melvin just set the precedent that as long as you're talented, lifetime bans will never be enforced. They're just for show. I think the timing also leads to speculation. Melvin could have added Jeffress to the 40-man in April, but didn't. That he added him now with only three months to go suggests to me that Melvin had good reason to think he wouldn't stay clean.

As far as I'm concerned, adding Jeffress to the 40-man roster was borderline unethical. I'm not sure if any other prospect has ever been in the same situation and Melvin just set the precedent that as long as you're talented, lifetime bans will never be enforced. They're just for show. I think the timing also leads to speculation. Melvin could have added Jeffress to the 40-man in April, but didn't. That he added him now with only three months to go suggests to me that Melvin had good reason to think he wouldn't stay clean.

I would agree, except that the Brewers continue to drug test him. I'm not a Melvin fan, but I have full confidance that if Jeffress fails a drug test, he'll be hit with harsh consequences.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Option years start at the beginning of a season, so if someone is added to the 40 in the middle of the season and still is in the minors it doesn't count as an option year. TH is correct in that you need to be "sent down", which typically happens at the end of spring training for most players on the 40. The exception would be if they are added to the 40, called up to the majors (and thus added to the 25) and then sent back down.

They have to add JJ to the 40 before the Rule 5 draft anyway, so it is 5 months early. They had an extra space, and no reason to risk anything for just 5 months - so long as the Brewers continue to do their own testing.

I would agree, except that the Brewers continue to drug test him. I'm

not a Melvin fan, but I have full confidance that if Jeffress fails a

drug test, he'll be hit with harsh consequences.

I disagree with that. Putting him on the 40-man is a pretty clear indication that they're trying to shelter him from any further consequences. If they do continue to test him, it's probably just so they can find out before the league finds out.

I disagree with that. Putting him on the 40-man is a pretty clear indication that they're trying to shelter him from any further consequences. If they do continue to test him, it's probably just so they can find out before the league finds out.

Of course they are trying to protect their investment, why is this even a debate. This is by no means unethical, people put insurance on their houses, cars, and many other pieces of their lives that had a significant cash investment. That is all the Brewers are doing. It has already been stated that the team will continue to test him and he is continuing his rehab program. This just ensures that any possible slip-up is handled internally. The way some people view this issue you would think it was Ray Lewis or Mike Vick that team just added.

A better question is why wouldn't he be on the 40 man instead of a guy that was earlier in the season like Vargas, Schoenweis, or any other person that could be picked up off the scrap heap. Even players like Hawkins and Zaun weren't really needed to signed with the depth in the farm system. I would bet if Jeffress was put on waivers at least 2/3's of the teams would like to acquire him. He has #1 type stuff that should be protected for a team with most of its legit pitching prospects in the lower minors.

I would agree, except that the Brewers continue to drug test him. I'm not a Melvin fan, but I have full confidance that if Jeffress fails a drug test, he'll be hit with harsh consequences.

There not sheltering him from further consequences, just from a lifetime ban.

Right, everyone understands they added him to protect their investment. The reason I say it's borderline unethical is because Jeffress clearly did not earn a 40-man roster spot. In fact, he's being rewarded for his drug history. There's no way he'd be on the 40-man right now if he hadn't been suspended twice already. Melvin is playing by the rules, and that's fine, but he's exploiting a loophole to exempt a player from league rules. I guess the blame lies more with the system than with Melvin, but the fact of the matter is that the organization has been punished for Jeffress's actions and Jeffress has been rewarded. Like I said before, this makes it very clear to everyone in baseball that lifetime bans are simply there for show and will never be enforced - as long as the player in question has talent.

I guess I don't see why it matters. Either add him now to guarantee he doesn't get banned from baseball or add him after the season when he has to be added anyways. It's a few months difference, he needed to be added after the season anyways. This is just protecting their investment and doing what needed to be done in a few months anyways.

Option years start at the beginning of a season, so if someone is added to the 40 in the middle of the season and still is in the minors it doesn't count as an option year. TH is correct in that you need to be "sent down", which typically happens at the end of spring training for most players on the 40. The exception would be if they are added to the 40, called up to the majors (and thus added to the 25) and then sent back down.

They have to add JJ to the 40 before the Rule 5 draft anyway, so it is 5 months early. They had an extra space, and no reason to risk anything for just 5 months - so long as the Brewers continue to do their own testing.

I am not so sure he won't use an option. I believe under the rules he is considered to be on an optional assignment. At least that is how I would read it. As long as he is on the 40-man roster for 20 or more days he will use an option. I doesn't say the have to be sent down, although that is typically what happens. I don't know of any guys being added to the 40-man in the middle of the year except for guys who sign MLB contracts out of the draft but they wouldn't acquire 5 years of service time so they would have a 4th option year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Let's see him pitch at AA before we start calling for this guy in the majors. I really like him out of the pen right now, but as a starter he is going to need another full year in the minors.

I'm really excited to see what they do with him. The Wainright comparison someone made earlier is right on. It's too bad the Brewers aren't in playoff position to utilize him in that way. Because we will most likely be retooling the roster, it's most likely they give him another shot in the rotation - but that means we will likely see him at AA most of next season.

When was the last time the Brewers added someone to the 40 man roster before they had too [sic]?
if i recall correctly, whenever they added joe dillon to the 40-man roster. i don't believe it was due to a clause in his contract . . i believe that they just wanted to reward him. within less than two months, he was called up to the brewers.

Right, everyone understands they added him to protect their investment. The reason I say it's borderline unethical is because Jeffress clearly did not earn a 40-man roster spot. In fact, he's being rewarded for his drug history. There's no way he'd be on the 40-man right now if he hadn't been suspended twice already. Melvin is playing by the rules, and that's fine, but he's exploiting a loophole to exempt a player from league rules. I guess the blame lies more with the system than with Melvin, but the fact of the matter is that the organization has been punished for Jeffress's actions and Jeffress has been rewarded. Like I said before, this makes it very clear to everyone in baseball that lifetime bans are simply there for show and will never be enforced - as long as the player in question has talent.

While I agree with your sentiment, pro sports have a history of valuing the ability to play much more than ethics. The steroids era is a big example of this, as apparently players had steroids in open view and no one cared. In the NBA it doesn't seem abnormal for players to bring guns into the locker room. Players in all sports have "fatherless" children all over the country. The list could go on and on.

It doesn't make it ethical, but I'd bet most GMs would do the same thing Melvin did. I hope the best for Jeffress as a person and a player, and want to believe what he's telling the media. Who knows, maybe the "added maturity" will help him focus on improving his weaknesses, most notably control.

I sure hope he is moved back into the starting rotation at some point. It would definitely be a shame if someone so physically talented was permanently moved to a less valueable position for a reason like this. That said, I guess I'd rather see him helping the Brewers in the bullpen as opposed to spending the rest of his life in his parents' basement.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Staff

What would the same people who are questioning the addition to the 40-man roster say if Jeffress was not placed and was banned prior to this fall?

The Brewers would be slammed for not protecting their investment, if not necessarily protecting Jeffress from himself.

What would the same people who are questioning the addition to the 40-man roster say if Jeffress was not placed and was banned prior to this fall?

The Brewers would be slammed for not protecting their investment, if not necessarily protecting Jeffress from himself.

To bad Jeffress screwed up again. I know there would be a huge uproar and many would blame the brewers though. Of course some would fall on the other side.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

How would a lifetime ban be different than him blowing out his shoulder except that he would have mentally trashed his career instead of physically? We aren't talking about Wlhelmsen who got an organizational death penalty in 1 season, JJ's issues have been going on for years. He's done this to himself, he's been getting all the support than Wilhelmsen didn't and has still struggled to quit smoking. By the way, Wilhelmsen hasn't given up a run and has struck out 17 in 10 IP for the AZL Mariners.

If it was a wise move to protect their investment "now", then why not drop him on the 40 man last off season? Why even risk the lifetime ban?

JJ really hasn't earned anything yet so far in his career, he hasn't performed above A+. That doesn't mean I don't like him as a player or sympathize with his personal struggles, but I'm really not into gifting roster spots.. ever. I remain very high on his potential as pitcher, but I'm willing to separate myself from that idea judge this situation more on my personal value system. If he earns a Sept call up that would be fantastic, but then add him at him that time. Why is he more at risk during July and August than he was in June, May, and April? Isn't it possible the potential risk of a lifetime is being overstated a tad? I really don't understand what's different today... unless he failed another team drug test and they know he'll fail another league test. As far fetched as that seems to me, even if it was true he's made his bed and has to lay in it. How many chances should people realistically get. Politics aside, we all have workplace rules we don't agree with, how much rope do we get to hang ourselves?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Verified Member
I imagine the organization feels that a balance of the possible gains and losses is worth using a roster spot. Isn't that how all roster spots are used? If they used a spot on me, that would be a gift.
Formerly AKA Pete

To answer Mass's question, I personally would blame Jeffress and not the Brewers if he got banned for life because he couldn't go another three months without smoking up. Putting him on the 40-man roster was in the team's best interest, but that doesn't make it right.

And TheCrew07 summed up my thoughts pretty well. I like Jeffress as a prospect and I'm rooting for him as a person. I just think it would be in his best interests to force him to face his problems instead of exempting him from them.

Also, just to clarify my position, I really don't care if an athlete smokes pot and I don't think they should even be testing for it. But they are testing for it. If you don't agree with the rules, you should challenge them, not sidestep them through loopholes.

If you don't agree with the rules, you should challenge them, not sidestep them through loopholes.

They didn't side step the rules, they played by the rules. Its protection of an investment and was a smart move. I would care if he was thrown out of baseball, and I think it says something about his intelligence that he let it get to this point; but I couldn't care less if he smokes pot.

I personally agree with the move. I think the saying "better save than sorry" fits pretty well here. He may be 100% clean and never want to go near grass again but as a team you only can control what you can control. If you don't want to take the chance of losing your highest ceiling pitcher in your system you have to do what you have to do. DM beyond some of the people beliefs on here, knows what he is doing, its not like he just became a GM yesterday so if he feels it is alright to add JJ to the 40-man mid-season so be it. Lets just hope it all works out for the best.

Archived