Brewer Fanatic

The future of Jeremy Jeffress

twobrewers

Haha, Paul.

If JJ can still sling it, there is zero reason to give up on him. I am concerned about this forearm stiffness though. Isn't that typically a indication that TJ surgery is needed?

I am really pulling for the guy though. His upside truly is Doc Gooden. At worst, he is Brandon Morrow. Can't wait to see his name in the box scores again.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Did that 101mph fastball that he threw happen to be for a strike?

Funny stuff, Paul. I was thinking the same thing.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I am really pulling for the guy though. His upside truly is Doc Gooden. At worst, he is Brandon Morrow. Can't wait to see his name in the box scores again.

Way to optimistic at this point. I wish him all the success in the world, but I'd be happy if he turned into a Major League pitcher a la Morrow at this point. At worst he's out of baseball.

Morrow is an established Major League pitcher.

Way to optimistic at this point. I wish him all the success in the world, but I'd be happy if he turned into a Major League pitcher a la Morrow at this point. At worst he's out of baseball.

Not sure how Morrow is established. He is a 1 pitch guy with zero control. Jeffress could reasonably match what Morrow has done throughout his brief career. To me, they are the same guy. The only difference is the philosophies of the organizations they came up with.

Worst case for any player is out of baseball. Jeffress' floor, if and when he makes it to the majors, is Brandon Morrow. Is that better?

Not sure how Morrow is established. He is a 1 pitch guy with zero control. Jeffress could reasonably match what Morrow has done throughout his brief career. To me, they are the same guy. The only difference is the philosophies of the organizations they came up with.

Worst case for any player is out of baseball. Jeffress' floor, if and when he makes it to the majors, is Brandon Morrow. Is that better?

Brandon Morrow - 238.2 Major League Innings, 4.34ERA in the American League, More than a K/inning in the Major Leagues

Jeremy Jeffress - 0 Innings Pitched Above Double-A (and he still hasn't proven he can get double-A hitters out consistently)

Ok, let's take a closer look, shall we?

As I expected, Morrow's time as a reliever makes his ERA look respectable. Let's take a look at what he has done as a starter.

23 career starts, 120.1 IP (5.23 IP/Start), 110 hits, 125 K's, 76 BB's, 16 HR's allowed, 5.01 ERA, .756 OPS against, tOPS+ 111, 1.54 WHIP. All that with a .303 BAbip.

How about 2010 thus far? 8 Starts, 41.0 IP (5.125 IP/Start), 42 Hits, 54 K's, 27 BB's, 4 HR's allowed, 6.15 ERA, .787 OPS against, tOPS+ 100, sOPS+ 116, 1.68 WHIP. Now, he has been a bit unlucky with a .388 BAbip.

How exactly are these numbers 'way to optimistic' for Jeffress? And if I remember correctly, Jeffress wasn't getting AA hitters out because he was working primarily on his off speed stuff that year. He is a true one pitch guy right now, just like Morrow (they both flash plus off speed stuff at times). He walks a ton of guys, just like Morrow. He strikes out a ton of guys, just like Morrow.

Idk, do you have a better comparison?

This is likely going to stress Jeffress out. Well at least we know he has coping techniques to help him deal with his stress. Not sure why anyone considers him a prospect anymore. Sure he has the velocity and always has but he never really harnessed it and self destructed himself along the way. Brewers should have cut ties with him a while back and saved some money.

Your ignorence on this subject leaves me speechless for every comment you write about Jeffress. You are a broken record. Yes, we can tell you are a leader in the above the influence campaign and think anyone who touches is a drug is per worthless but that really is not the case. I believe Tim Licecum is doing pretty good for himself and he is a burnout...Michael Phelps aso has quit a few gold medals and also smokes. I personally don't smoke nor do i advocate it but I am not ignorant to sit here and say he is not a prospect, he is a low life, he can't amount to anything in his life and all the other crap you say about the kid... it is ridiculous.

There have been players who were into more serious drugs than Jeffress and have had amazing careers. I have all the confidence in the world in Jeffress to come back and perform

THANK YOU!!!

I can't smoke. I get over the top paranoid, so I never really have, but we act as though he's a pedophile.

What's more, what is the possible upside with cutting ties with him? To really show him? Like he wouldn't be picked up in a heartbeat? There is no downside to Jeremy Jeffress. We've already tempered expectations for him, but I don't understand the severe disdain for him either. I get that he's hurt the franchise, but it really gets over the top.

We forget this is just a young kid still. Given millions(I thought he signed for nearly 2 million) and put in the spotlight. Not everykid does well in that situation.

It reminds me of Rickie Williams. We have no idea what is going on with Jeffress, but I can say with some degree of certainty he's trying to fix the situation.

I hope he comes back and he comes back strong. He could still be a huge key for our future, be it as a closer or a frontline starter.

That's not even to begin to get into how petty or minor Pot is compared to almost any other drug, many of which are legal.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tom H. had an all-encompassing blog post -- some of these items are being discussed on the Major League Forum, but we'll paste in snippets where convenient depending on the topic:

*The 100-game suspension of pitching prospect Jeremy Jeffress ends today but he is not ready to be assigned to Class A Brevard County. Jeffress incurred forearm stiffness while pitching in extended spring camp and Ash said he needs another "couple of weeks" to be ready to pitch in games again.

"We don't think it's bad," said Ash. "We're just being cautious."

Jeffress received the 100-game suspension for violating the Minor League Drug Prevention & Treatment Program a third time. He first received counseling, then a 50-game suspension, then 100 games. One more violation and he gets a lifetime ban. The former first-round draft pick has admitted to testing positive for marijuana.

How bad is it that a guy missed 100 games due to suspension and then when the suspension is finally over, he's hurt and will miss a few more weeks? I'm starting to think if the Brewers didn't have bad luck they wouldn't have any luck at all.

How bad is it that a guy missed 100 games due to suspension and then when the suspension is finally over, he's hurt and will miss a few more weeks? I'm starting to think if the Brewers didn't have bad luck they wouldn't have any luck at all.
Hey, we got to watch Neuggy throw at least one gem! For us Brewers fans, that's about as good as it gets watching pitching prospects!

No, I'm absolutely determined to take a optimistic point of view with this current crop. I believe we've got a plethora of options so that when a large pct of them inevitably go belly up as it appears as though Arnett may be doing(I know, I know it's WAY too early to start saying this), we'll have the numbers to graduate at least a couple of them.

Rivas and Peralta look like very strong candidates. Rogers I'm still not confident can build his arm up enough to become a true big league starter, or that he has the control.

We might have more in our AAA rotation than we first suspected however. Lofgren's looked alright, Estrada has looked very good as has Loe. Capuano is defying all odds, although I think he eventually goes through a rough spell down there trying to get his arm rounded back into shape.

But Jeffress....Jeffress is one of the few guys in this organization who could be one of those guys who makes one of those impressive ascensions. With his big fastball and his power curve, if he could command those and refine his change he could go from HiA to the big leagues very quickly as a couple of pitchers every year seem to do.

• 2 weeks later...
Per TH

Starting in Wisconsin. I'd like to see him.

EDIT: good question posted over there in the comments. Does anyone know when Jeffress needs to be placed on the 40-man to be protected from Rule 5?

I'm pretty sure he has to be added this offseason. I'm thinking the date comes sometime in November. Someone else may know more than me though.

He needs to be added this off season.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Per Adam McCalvy, Jeffress will work out of the 'pen for the T-Rats, starting on Sunday. His shift to the pen, in an effort to keep him more engaged on a day-to-day basis, is for at least the remainder of the year. Ash couldn't say about next year.

All in all, a major downgrade in value, moving from SP to RP. But, if it gets him to the 40-man sooner and he can continue to work through his "issues," then it's a good move. He can always be stretched out next or a subsequent year.

edit: beat me to it, brewjihad! I'll keep the post up, since there's a bit of commentary attached to it http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Braddock and now Jeffress moved to the pen, I'm thrilled losing our best arms to relief before they even get out of the minors... meanwhile the rotation is garbage. Rogers and Rivas are rapidly becoming our only hope of salvation, what a depressing day on the minor league side of the fence with both Salome and Jeffress stepping down in value.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I hear Escobar isn't comfortable at shortstop anymore and would like to play first base.

I understand why they are moving him, but between Lawrie, Salome, Braddock and Jeffress playing lesser positions than hoped - our system has taken some hits.

I interpreted it as more of a move to put Jeffress in the pen for the time being, rather than permanently moving him there. If this can keep him focus and he can get in two or three innings of work each outing, this might not be a terrible move.

Braddock and now Jeffress moved to the pen, I'm thrilled losing our best arms to relief before they even get out of the minors... meanwhile the rotation is garbage. Rogers and Rivas are rapidly becoming our only hope of salvation, what a depressing day on the minor league side of the fence with both Salome and Jeffress stepping down in value.

I agree this is not good news, but there's a whole helluva lot more to our farm system in the way of pitching prospects than Rivas and Rogers. Peralta, Scarpetta, Heckathorn, Odorizzi are a few with higher upsides.

I just hope he doesn't focus on just 2 pitches while in the bullpen. I hope he continues to refine them as though he's going to become a starter.

It's sad though that you're forced to do this for a lack of friggin attention. He's one of the guys with no injury history(until this recent bought of tenderness) and a free and easy delivery in which he can hit the upper 90's later on in the game. And HE'S now moved to the pen.

No, this has to be a temporary move. At least I really hope so.

Like I don't know our pitching prospects?

How far away are all of those guys? Peralta has been very average in A+, Scarpetta has been poor in the same pitcher's league, Heckathorn and Odorizzi haven't pitched above A ball yet.

They said also said Braddock had a chance of coming back to starting... I hold no illusions that if Jeffress is successful in the bullpen they will switch him back to a starting role. Rivas and Rogers are the only starters who could realistically impact the top of the MLB rotation any time soon.

- Plato

- Plato

Like I don't know our pitching prospects?

How far away are all of those guys? Peralta has been very average in A+, Scarpetta has been poor in the same pitcher's league, Heckathorn and Odorizzi haven't pitched above A ball yet.

They said also said Braddock had a chance of coming back to starting... I hold no illusions that if Jeffress is successful in the bullpen they will switch him back to a starting role. Rivas and Rogers are the only starters who could realistically impact the top of the MLB rotation any time soon.

\

I have no idea what you do or do not know. I can only go by what you type. And when you say that Rivas and Rogers are are "only hope", it sounds as though you don't know about any others.

By the way, Braddock and Jeffress are two ENTIRELY different situations. I don't think you could have two moves for two more different reasons.

Anyway, I guess I don't see how you can dismiss that other group of pitchers, and then talk about a guy coming off a 100 game suspension who hasn't had much success past HiA as the reason for your new angst. It's very contradictory.

Archived