Brewer Fanatic

The future of Jeremy Jeffress

twobrewers

Does anyone know if there was some kind of clause in his contract about his? If he fails one more tests and gets booted for life, can the Brewers recoup any of his signing bonus?

Man I hope he sticks around and throws strikes. Looking up and down the system, it's hard to see any sure fire #1 potential starters. Rogers maybe. Peralta maybe. Jeffress definitely has the stuff and a very over powering fastball. But if he can't throw strikes, it doesn't matter. He isn't going to be striking out guys like Pujols and Aramis Ramirez if the only pitch he can throw for a strike is a fastball. I wish him the best, but he needs to get his act together. Nobody is going to feel sorry for him if he fails another test.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hypothetically, if I were a white baseball player in the 1950's and I were in love with Mary Jane, a woman of a different race than myself, and there were laws on the statutes (as well as the minor league rules, though it is condoned once you reach the Show) outlawing my affair with this woman, would you feel bad for me if I couldn't help my forbidden love for Mary Jane?

But that's a debate for another day. Today, I can't help but get excited about the highest ceiling prospect in our system chomping at the bit to throw darts.

Hypothetically, if I were a white baseball player in the 1950's and I were in love with Mary Jane, a woman of a different race than myself, and there were laws on the statutes (as well as the minor league rules, though it is condoned once you reach the Show) outlawing my affair with this woman, would you feel bad for me if I couldn't help my forbidden love for Mary Jane?
I think this is a terrible analogy...but anyway, I just hope Jeffress comes back dealing. At this point I think the Brewers should fast track him as a reliever and try to get something out of their investment before he blows his chance again.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Why do they need to fast track him? If he cant throw strikes as a starter then he won't be able to throw strikes as a reliever. I'd rather just let him continue to start to see if his control gets any better. The last thing the Brewers need is another reliever.

I've gotta find it when I get home but I read in last weeks Sports Weekly newspaper that a minor-leaguer was suspended for drug use of some type but only got a 50-game suspension, even though it was his 2nd offense.

Why did he only get 50-games while Jeffress got 100? I thought the penalties were 50-games for first time, 100 games for second, and lifetime for a third (in the minors). Was it because there is a difference in the drugs (Jeffress was a drug of abuse, while the other guy was not--although I don't remember if the blurb said or not)?

Again, I'll check on who it was when I get home tonight since the paper is in my reading box.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

You don't get a suspension for your first offense. The second is 50 and the third 100. This is Jeffress' third offense not counting the failed test administered by the organization.

Found it.

It was the third time the 2006 first-round draft pick tested positive

for marijuana under the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment

Program. The first offense mandates only counseling and education. The

second draws a 50-game ban, followed by 100 games and permanent

expulsion.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

You don't get a suspension for your first offense. The second is 50 and the third 100. This is Jeffress' third offense not counting the failed test administered by the organization.

Found it.

It was the third time the 2006 first-round draft pick tested positive

for marijuana under the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment

Program. The first offense mandates only counseling and education. The

second draws a 50-game ban, followed by 100 games and permanent

expulsion.

ah, okay. No wonder I was confused. I thought it was a "three-strikes-and-your-out" policy, but apparently it's a "three-strikes-and-a-foul-ball-and-your-out" policy.

Anyway, the minor leaguer in question by me was Andrew Lambo in the Dodgers organization, for the record.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The current $33 million bullpen with a 5.38 ERA would beg to differ.

I think if they didn't have to pitch 3+ innings every day it wouldn't be nearly as bad. Beside, most of that ERA is one or two pitchers (Hoffman and Hawkins, who also happen to be the most expensive relievers) and several VERY bad outings. They also already have several in-house options for the bullpen, including Axford, Stetter, and Braddock.

Forearm stiffness likely to delay Jeffress' return

Adam McCalvy/MLB.com

Suspended Brewers pitching prospect Jeremy Jeffress is eligible for

reinstatement on Friday but his return to the mound will probably be

delayed by a minor arm injury, assistant general manager Gord Ash said.

Barring

any rainouts at Class A Brevard County in the coming days, Jeffress'

100-game ban expires on May 21. He might have been able to hit the

ground running at Brevard County if not for a bout of tightness in his

right forearm that developed last week at extended Spring Training camp

in Phoenix.

Jeffress, Milwaukee's first-round

pick in the 2006 Draft, was suspended last June under the Minor League

Drug Prevention and Treatment Program, his third failed test for a "drug

of abuse." One more violation would result in a lifetime ban.

Unlike

the Major League program, which strictly adheres to

performance-enhancing drugs and amphetamines, Minor League players also

can be suspended for using drugs like marijuana, cocaine and others.

Jeffress has admitted in the last that he had a problem with marijuana,

but he has been through a series of treatment programs during his

suspension and has fulfilled all of his obligations, according to Ash.

"He

has been very, very good about it," Ash said.

Jeffress

will resume his career at Brevard County when he's ready, and the

Brewers would like to promote him to Double-A Huntsville at some point

soon thereafter. Club officials will face a decision after the season,

when Jeffress must be placed on the 40-man roster or be exposed to the

Rule 5 Draft.

The injuries in the minor leagues this year have been unbelievable!

I'm curious, once back, how many pitches he will be throwing per outing. I'm sure the Brewers & Jeremy have been doing their best to keep him in game shape - but it has been a long time since he pitched a real game.

This is likely going to stress Jeffress out. Well at least we know he has coping techniques to help him deal with his stress. Not sure why anyone considers him a prospect anymore. Sure he has the velocity and always has but he never really harnessed it and self destructed himself along the way. Brewers should have cut ties with him a while back and saved some money.

This is likely going to stress Jeffress out. Well at least we know he has coping techniques to help him deal with his stress. Not sure why anyone considers him a prospect anymore. Sure he has the velocity and always has but he never really harnessed it and self destructed himself along the way. Brewers should have cut ties with him a while back and saved some money.

Your ignorence on this subject leaves me speechless for every comment you write about Jeffress. You are a broken record. Yes, we can tell you are a leader in the above the influence campaign and think anyone who touches is a drug is per worthless but that really is not the case. I believe Tim Licecum is doing pretty good for himself and he is a burnout...Michael Phelps aso has quit a few gold medals and also smokes. I personally don't smoke nor do i advocate it but I am not ignorant to sit here and say he is not a prospect, he is a low life, he can't amount to anything in his life and all the other crap you say about the kid... it is ridiculous.

There have been players who were into more serious drugs than Jeffress and have had amazing careers. I have all the confidence in the world in Jeffress to come back and perform

Not sure why anyone considers him a prospect anymore. Sure he has the velocity and always has but he never really harnessed it and self destructed himself along the way. Brewers should have cut ties with him a while back and saved some money.

I intentionally don't mention him when talking about pitching prospects because I have no idea what to make of him, but he's absolutely a prospect by any measure. He has one of the 10 best arms in all of the Minor Leagues who maintains his velocity very well. He'll remain a prospect and rightly so, until he gets a lifetime ban which seems very unlikely at this juncture. 2 years ago who would have thought Jones and Rogers would be pitching a higher level than Jeffress?

On a side note when Jeffress ultimately gets promoted to AA there will be 4 1st round draft picks on that team.

edit. Fixed worst typing ever.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

This is likely going to stress Jeffress out. Well at least we know he has coping techniques to help him deal with his stress.

What a malicious, useless thing to say.

I hope Jeffress can get back on track this season, because as TheCrew07 notes, his arm is absolutely special.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This is likely going to stress Jeffress out. Well at least we know he has coping techniques to help him deal with his stress.

What a malicious, useless thing to say.

I hope Jeffress can get back on track this season, because as TheCrew07 notes, his arm is absolutely special.

Yep, agree with you and the previous couple of posters.

I hope this soreness isn't serious, or that it causes an injury in a different spot. The Brewers are going to need Jeffress to harness his ability. As far as the drug stuff, I just hope he doesn't get a lifetime ban. If he gets to the big leagues he can smoke all he wants if there really isn't a test for it, as long as he can perform.

If players can play I really don't care what they're on. If I have kids someday I'll just be sure to keep them from emulating that player's off the field behavior.

Probably just a muscle memory problem. Jeffress will have not pitched for almost a whole year now. I wish the Brewers would have brought Jeffress to spring training at least for a few weeks to get some work in at least.

Probably just a muscle memory problem. Jeffress will have not pitched for almost a whole year now. I wish the Brewers would have brought Jeffress to spring training at least for a few weeks to get some work in at least.
? He worked out with the Minor Leaguers all spring and he's been pitching in EST this whole time.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

? He worked out with the Minor Leaguers all spring and he's been pitching in EST this whole time.

Didn't see anything that he was at spring training. Must of missed it then if he was.

Archived