Brewer Fanatic

Brett Myers?

NievesNoNO
Does anyone like the idea of signing Brett Myers as a FA? I haven't heard his name mentioned much, but he seems like the type of pitcher the Brewers should take a chance on. I don't think he'll cost any picks. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Earlier in his career he was a legit top of the rotation type starter. Since he's had some issues on and off the field, but he still throws the ball good (to the best of my knowledge, I haven't seen him play much) and I think he could be had for a reasonable price. He's still youngish and I think there's some upside left in him yet. Agree?? Disagree??

I'm not a huge fan of him. I'm more on the Bedard, Sheets, Smoltz, Hudson bandwagon. Guys you know are really good but have had arm problems/down years. High risk/high reward, but if they pan out, you have a #2 starter at the very least. I view Myers more as a #4 starter.

Depending on the price I would have no problem taking a flier on Myers, but as trwi7 said I would also prefer to add a Sheets or Hudson(not big on Smoltz(age) and Bedard(think price will be to high)). My ideal would be to add say Sheets and then sign Myers also. Have a rotation of Gallardo, Sheets, Bush, Myers, and the best of Parra, Suppan, and Looper(if back). I would feel much better about the Brewers chances with this rotation and you would also have some depth for when Sheets gets injured.

Endaround - You've been banging that "Bedard" drum incorrectly for some time now.

Bedard was originally thought to be out for the season. He was going to have a minor arthoscopic surgey in his shoulder. There was a very small chance he could return for the current season.

The official results came out recently, and it appears that Bedard could very well be available for Spring Training. (Link) You might not want to count on him - but he is certainly a candidate.

"Dr. Lewis Yocum performed arthroscopic surgery on Erik Bedard's left shoulder today, Friday, September 26. During the surgery Dr. Yocum removed a cyst from the shoulder and performed a minor labral debridement.

"The arthroscopic procedure revealed that there are no tears in the left shoulder, in either the labrum or the rotator cuff.

"The surgery report is very good news," Mariners Vice President & General Manager Lee Pelekoudas said. "There are no structural issues with the shoulder, which should allow for a positive timetable on Erik's full recovery."

"Recovery time from this type of procedure is approximately six months. A better timetable will be available once rehabilitation begins."

How is what I'm saying incorrect. 6 months makes it March for full rehab assuming everything goes well. Then two months for getting his arm back in ptiching shape and we're at June without any set abcks. But this is Bedard, setbacks are almost assured.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived