Brewer Fanatic

Melvin Bobblehead Day

TabbertBB
Community Moderator
Back in the 2005-2007 timeframe, Friday nights usually drew around 30,000 with 40,000 on Saturdays and 25,000 on Sundays. I know I'm not the only one here who has been to Brewers games at Miller Park with the announced attendance around 13,000 and maybe 8,000 people in the stands. I know they considered closing the Terrace level for weekday games at one point.

I know they considered closing the Terrace level for weekday games at one point.
Not really buying that.... what would they do with all the terrace level season ticket holders? Give them free upgrades? Make them pay more for the weeknight tickets? Just exclude those games from terrace level season packages altogether? None of those seem like very plausible solutions.

I know they considered closing the Terrace level for weekday games at one point.
Not really buying that.... what would they do with all the terrace level season ticket holders? Give them free upgrades? Make them pay more for the weeknight tickets? Just exclude those games from terrace level season packages altogether? None of those seem like very plausible solutions.
Since we were terrace level season ticket holders at the time (2003, I'm 99% sure), we were curious about what they might do had that come to pass. I remember reading about the possibility in the Journal Sentinel, but never heard any more about it. The Brewers obviously never acted on the idea, but it appears they considered it.

I can assure you that at the time, there were not many of us with season packages in the terrace, so maybe the costs of upgrading that portion of the fan base would still have been less than paying terrace level staff. 2003 was the year we got to know a lot of the terrace level employees, I suppose because we were among the few who sat up there often enough for them to notice.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The odd thing about Sunday's attendance: when I ordered my tickets, the very first day single-game tickets were available, I could not get 4 seats together in the terrace level or in the bleachers. We ended up buying seats on the loge level (section 215, as mentioned in the game thread) at a higher price than I usually spend on a game.

Does anyone else recall having the same issue when trying to buy late-season tickets? I'm honestly wondering whether the club withheld some sections, so they could "re-sell" later on if the Brewers were in the playoff chase. Can't shake the feeling that I was 'upsold' on the tickets by the ballclub; while I have zero gripes about my seat or the game itself, it's still bothering me a little. It may also have been a contributing cause to the weak ticket sales (which was, admittedly, the poorest-attended bobblehead day I can remember).

I saw several sections in the 4th deck empty on Sunday. It was near the RF foul pole. The Brewers sold 31,000 tickets, so there were around 10,000 empty seats in the place. Somehow there weren't 4 seats together in the 4th deck? I think bjkraut may be on to something.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Anyone have the full sized bobblehead days before 2006? Here's your attendance and for 2006 - 2009 seasons. Dougs fared the worst (and Weeks was also against the Packers), is based on capacity.

8/24/08 | Hardy | +3,263

5/13/06 | Turnbow | +3,250

5/03/09 | Braun | +2,827

6/01/08 | Braun | +2,713

5/31/09 | Hoffman | +2,694

9/07/08 | Hart | +2,668

6/24/07 | Hall | +2,164

4/06/08 | Fielder | +2,114

9/02/06 | Yount | +2,105

8/05/06 | Capuano | +1,816

6/22/08 | Polish | +1,617

7/26/09 | Brat | +1,571

6/18/06 | Cooper | +1,494

6/28/09 | Kendall | +1,491

6/03/07 | Fielder | +1,274

7/15/07 | Chorizo | +854

9/30/07 | Weeks | +515 (P)

7/06/08 | Barrel Man | +263

8/30/09 | Suppan | -743

6/03/06 | Miller | -1,508

7/04/06 | Hotdog | -2,620

9/20/09 | Melvin | - 11,876 (P)

The Weeks bobble was not only against the Packers, but the Packers were 3-0 and that's the day that Favre broke the TD record.

Here's what I could find. I'm pretty sure this is accurate.

5/7/05: 39,589 (Sheets)

7/16/05: 45,079 (Thomas?)

8/13/05: 41,282 (Overbay)

8/27/05: 42,464 (Uecker nesting dolls?)

9/3/05: 32,022 (Lee)

The Weeks bobble, we had also been eliminated from the playoffs officially the day or two before, so the tickets sold, versus actually coming through the gates would probably be pretty interesting there. Also, I believe, it was a fan appreciation day, with the "shirt off their backs" promo and all of that. It was also Jenkins' last game.

Archived