Brewer Fanatic

Soup for Bradley?

I know that Bradley has been an enigma for the Cubbies this year, however, I feel he is one of the few players the Brewers could send Soup for this off season and greatly benefit from the trade. After news of the Cubs suspending Bradley for the remander of the year, it is clear that Bradley is on the way out. Bradley's career OPS of 821 is something to be coveted and would be great protection for Fielder in the 5 hole. He could play CF for our team, and finally rid us of Soup's terrible contract, while securing us an above average OF and likely type B compensation picks for Cameron. Without Cam's and Soup's contracts, the team would have around ten million to throw around for a SP either through trade or free agency.

Thoughts?

Yes, but what about trading Suppan?

I kid, I kid...

Seriously though, I would probably do this trade. It's not like Suppan is going to be magically much better next season. Bradley allow for letting Cameron walk, and possibly trading guys like Hart as well.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Suppan is still better than anything we will have in AAA next year at this point(Butler aside, maybe). We need at least 2-3 pitchers for depth if we keep Looper. Getting rid of Soup could drive that to 5 if we also don't keep Looper. I think we will be lucky to get 2 and keep Looper. Bradly doesn't really add much more than what we already have and his contract is a year longer than Soup's. I really wish I wouldn't be put in a position where I have to defend Suppan. I don't much care for him. As much as I hate to say it, we need Suppan. I just wish his contract wasn't so bloated.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

On paper, I think you have to make the deal. You get in return an above average hitter while sacrificing a below average pitcher. However, then you remember that Milton Bradley isn't as fun as his name makes him out to be. I would think I would do the trade in the hopes of packaging Hart/Hardy for a good, young pitcher. Thus, the trade would become:

Bradley

Good, young pitcher (Buccholz/Morrow/Pelfrey+)

for

Hart

Hardy

Soup

I would do the above trade. But I would also do the trade in the hopes of putting Bradley in right and retaining Cameron, who by all accounts is one of the key glue guys in the locker room. Prince/Braun have the alpha status. And if Milton Bradley acts up, we can just trade him back to Texas in his walk year.

The Brewers have a tight-knit clubhouse, a good team atmosphere. Milton Bradley isolates himself and yaps without caution to the media, placing the blame on everyone else in doing so.

Talent's not his issue. Character & integrity are the issues. The Cubs knew that going in. No one should give them relief of taking Bradley in a trade, especially not the Brewers. 95% of the time I can't stand Suppan being in our rotation, but I would never do this deal.

Did we hear anything like this in Texas? I think maybe all he needs is a quiet, laid back atmosphere in a smaller city. And to get off to a good start so the fans don't turn on you. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The Brewers have a tight-knit clubhouse, a good team atmosphere. Milton Bradley isolates himself and yaps without caution to the media, placing the blame on everyone else in doing so.

Talent's not his issue. Character & integrity are the issues. The Cubs knew that going in. No one should give them relief of taking Bradley in a trade, especially not the Brewers. 95% of the time I can't stand Suppan being in our rotation, but I would never do this deal.

Bradley didn't say much when he was with the Rangers. It maybe that there really isn't any leadership for the Cubs. Look at the Zambrano and Barret incident. The Cubs have Zambrano, Soriano, Ramirez, and Lee there for veteran leadership only Lee is someone I could see being a solid leader in the clubhouse. Now mix in all of those personalities with Bradley and you had to know this was going to happen.

I believe Bradley is more like Moss and if he can get on a team with some very strong veteran leadership and where he is not being counted on to perform everyday he would do good. Last year Bradley only made a stink later in the year when he wanted to play and they were not playing him because of injury concerns or something along those lines.

I don't believe the Brewers would be a good fit for Bradley though way too much risk for the Brewers to take on even if it was a Suppan for Bradley trade.

Are you guys really saying that if the Cubs offered this trade you wouldn't take it? I mean, come on. Milton Bradley is a good hitter that could plug nicely into our lineup. Suppan is a garbage pitcher that really has no value in this organization. If give the same amount of starts next year, there is little doubt in my mind that Suppan would be outproduced by the majority of the pitchers in AAA, Burns included.

Not in a million years would I trade for someone like Milton Bradley. I'm not sure why anyone would call him an above average hitter at this point. He sure didn't hit well this year. He's also a cancer. No successful team ever trades for a cancer. He's never going to get the close call either from the umpires. He'll always be out. I just don't get why anyone would even suggest this. Or that Hart and Hardy would appeal to a team enough to trade us a decent pitcher for that matter either. I don't think Hardy is tradeable the way he has played this year.

Bradley has been a good hitter in the past, sometimes even great, but he doesn't fit in the NL. He's a DH. He's made of glass. Only once in his career played more than 109 games in the field, and that was when he was 26. He'll be 32 next year. He'd be a good fit for an AL team, but not us.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Suppan is a garbage pitcher that really has no value in this organization. If give the same amount of starts next year, there is little doubt in my mind that Suppan would be outproduced by the majority of the pitchers in AAA, Burns included.
Suppan has been exactly as advertised this year. He's an overpaid, average, back-of-the-rotation starter. He's certainly not garbage, and sadly, he's one of the top 5 best SPs the Brewers currently have on their team. I do not agree at all that Burns would put up better production, either.

Thanks for making me defend Suppan.

Take this for what it is worth, but I heard Buster Olney on ESPN 1000 in Chicago this morning, and to paraphrase he said that Bradley was done with the Cubs, and the Cubs know that in order to move him they'll have to eat approximately 80-90% of the remaining 2 years on his contract. Buster pointed towards the Rangers as a likely destination.

Here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4490125

I'm not sure why anyone would call him an above average hitter at this point.

Despite his "troubles hitting" this year, he's still kept a .380 OBP and the fans have chosen to blame him for the Cubs struggles and not the .300 obp of their left fielder & leadoff hitter for the next 6 years.... Soriano.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I can't believe I'm defending him but Soup is a very solid #5 pitcher or a decent #4. Not sure why the hatred for him. Honestly what are we going to pick up that is better than Suppan. He outperformed Manny Parra. I'd be very dissappointed if we ate salary to move him for a minor leaguer. It's not his faul the Brewers overpaid to get him.

I can't believe I'm defending him but Soup is a very solid #5 pitcher or a decent #4.

Suppan has been hot lately, but is still below replacement level for the season, for the 2nd year in a row.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

limited no-trade clause, 2009-10 (may block deals to 8 clubs each year)per Cot's

Having Suppan as a pitcher isn't hurting us since we have nobody better. Suppan at a lower price would be fine. Paying him $12.5M plus a $2M buyout over the next year sucks.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I am really sick of this talk that Suppan is a great back of the rotation starter. What has anybody seen this season that makes anybody call him "great?" The only thing that Suppan is great at is walking batters and not striking anyone out. He has the same number of K's as he does walks. His walks per nine have continued to increase while his K/0 have continued to decrease. I am shocked that more people are not on board for this trade, especially if the Cubs are willing to eat some of his contract. Although Bradley has struggled this season, he has still outhit Corey Hart. He has the ability to have an OBP of .400. Sure he is a headcase, but talent is talent. When the Cubs signed him I was worried. This news of his impending trade is music to my ears. I don't think he would be in this situation in Chicago had he posted what he did last year in Texas.

Archived