Brewer Fanatic

Cubs suspend Milton Bradley for the rest of 2009

AJAY

Community Moderator
You have to applaud the Cubs for doing this, but just about everyone in baseball, including many Cubs fans saw this one coming before the season even started. I assume this also means he won't be back next year. Taking a $12 million hit like that would destroy the Brewers, but the Cubs will probably be just fine.

What a shame. This was going to be their year.

Nice to see Hendry accepting no responsibility and basically tucking his tail between his legs.

As much as I hate the Cubs, it's hard not to enjoy them...

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

"I just decided late last night that's what I was going to do, and I didn't give it a lot of thought what's going to transpire moving forward," Hendry said. "I just felt like it was time to do this."

Yeah! To hell with forethought and shrewd decision-making!

I'm extremely pleased that this man is in charge of their organization.

You have to applaud the Cubs for doing this, but just about everyone in baseball, including many Cubs fans saw this one coming before the season even started.
The espn'ers loved the deal and proclaimed the Cubs de facto division winners because they'd signed Milton Bradley.

I know it'd never happen, but fun to imagine a Milton for Soup swap.

No freakin' way. Milton has two more years left on his deal. At this point, I don't know if I'd trade Suppan, Hall, and Hammonds for him. Dude is a cancer that I don't want anywhere near the clubhouse.

I heard this morning that the players union may file a grievance on behalf of Bradley.

I would expect the Cubs to eat his remaining contract and try to fill his spot through some combination of Fuld, Colvin, Hoffpauir or Fox who are all minimum wage guys which softens the financial blow. While none of those guys is likely to set the world on fire, they figure just not having Bradley around will help the clubhouse considerably.

Where the Cubs are really in trouble is with the underachieving Soriano who looks like he may be nearing the end at age 33, and who they owe $18 million a year for 5 more years. He's not the clubhouse cancer Bradley is, but imagine paying that much for a .726 OPS from your LF?

Their two best players this year, Lee and Lilly, are FA after next year too.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

One thing that needs to be mentioned, and I don't know if it's true or not, because it's coming from Milton Bradley, is that on a handful of occassions he's heard 'racial slurs' directed towards him from the bleachers. I don't need to use my imagination to know what was said. He said he's never gotten that treatment anywhere else in the league, and frankly, if true, I'm not surprised. I've been to 2 games in Wrigley recently and the fans there are NOT the 'best fans in the world'.

And as far as heckling, that's all fine and well. Racial slurs? One time is once too many.

Again, IF that's true, which we must consider the source.

Archived