Brewer Fanatic

Gamel's future

bklynbrewcrew
I think it should be obvious by now that Macha just doesnt like the guy.

Don't you think it's at all dangerous to go around proclaiming conjecture based on very subjective evidence as more or less fact? There could be any number of reasons why McGehee continues to start games over Gamel - probably more than a handful that we have no clue even exist - and yet you're content to just paint a picture in black and white that our manager has some sort of baseless vendetta against one of the organization's top prospects? That's not remotely rational.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Macha commented that Melvin put him in a "zim zam" when Gamel was first called up meaning that he didnt want him then. He has never given Mat the chance to play at all. Even now in meaningless september games Counsell is getting to play while Gamel cant get off the bench. How about the game against St Louis when we were down 5-0 and Gamel was sent up to pinch hit. Once Larussa brought in the lefty to face Mat he was replaced by Jason Bourgeois who cant hit lefties or righties.

Macha also commented that it would be nice to see some of the bench players get at bats and he specifically named guys such as Corey Patterson without mentioning Gamel. Im sorry but this amount of evidence is hard to ignore without coming to the conclusion that Macha flat out doesnt like Gamel.

If Melvin tells Macha that Gamel is his starting thirdbasmen, then he will be. I don't think Macha has to leave to make it so.

A forth option is to move Gamel to a starting corner OF spot. There's a real chance that's going to happen anyway. I would be more comfortable with that option if McGehee would be better defensively, though. He's been pretty bad this year but doesn't he have the reputation of being a good defender?

Offensively, if all we knew about McGehee was his stats from this year, we'd project him to be somewhere between his current stats and a league average hitter. We certainly wouldn't expect him to repeat his 2009.

I don't know what the right choice is but if McGehee isn't starting somewhere next year (with the Brewers or someone else), Melvin probably didn't utilize his full value.

He's been pretty bad this year but doesn't he have the reputation of being a good defender?

That's what we hear, but his minor league totalzone is basically average. I am going to assume he will be an average defender for now. We don't know how much his knee problems have affected his defense.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

One of Gamel or McGehee will be traded for a pitcher. The other will be our starting 3B. Whichever it is, we'll be better with the addition of a pitcher, if Melvin can identify a worthwhile pitcher.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

sheethead[/b]]Its fairly clear that Gamel will be the Brewers 3rd string 3B next year.
It is? Maybe "backup" 3rd baseman, but 3rd string? Behind McGehee and who?

I don't even think he would be a backup. To me it seems more apparent that either Gamel will have to find a new position or one of the two (McGehee or Gamel) will get traded.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I'd really love to keep both of them, they are cheap and above average... and who knows if Weeks can come back at anywhere near 100% after his 2nd major wrist injury.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'd really love to keep both of them, they are cheap and above average... and who knows if Weeks can come back at anywhere near 100% after his 2nd major wrist injury.

That's what I think. You don't even hear the usual Weeks fans predicting big things for him next year at this point, and that is pretty telling. You just have no idea of knowing what you'll get out of him at this point. Offering Lopez arbitration is a no brainer...at worst you have two really good 2Bs on your roster, or you get a high draft compensation pick for Lopez.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Didn't you hear Melvin's interview last night? The Brewers are trying to win as many games as possible. So clearly, Counsell gives the Brewers a much greater chance to win than Gamel. Honestly though, I've given up on trying to figure out what's going on with Gamel. What I do know is that Melvin and Macha must not think too highly of Mat right now. Otherwise, he'd be starting more than one game every two weeks.

You make that sentence blue as if it's absolutely wrong, but it isn't. Gamel had a just-decent type of season at AAA and hasn't really shown much but a good eye (for better or worse) at the big-league level. He doesn't have the defense to hang his hat on.

In my opinion the Brewers are comfortable with either at 3B to start the season next year. I think they're just trying to get McGehee's name higher on the rookie-of-the-year board and make him more attractive so they can do their best to avoid trading Mat Gamel. If the Brewers get someone to buy high on McGehee, he's gone. If no one's biting on McGehee and someone's willing to offer top-flight pitching talent for Gamel, it will and should be done should all other resources be exhausted. The Brewers are going nowhere with the current pitching staff with or without Mat Gamel, no matter how good some think he's going to be.

Well said derflotr. Though to a point, I think Counsell has shown he can still play, and there would be no shame using him sparingly the rest of the year. I think he's earned himself a chance to return next season if he wishes to. I assume he'll be relatively affordable for the hometown team again.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

At this point I want Macha and Melvin fired. This organization just has no plan. How does your best prospect continue to sit on the bench in meaningless September games in favor of Counsell. From the moment gamel was first called up to sit on the bench this organization has just done everything possible to stunt his progress. Enough is enough. Time to get rid of the clueless manager that the players hate and the GM that has allowed this to go on.

If Gamel out plays Casey, then you start Gamel and keep Casey on the bench as a super sub. If Casey wins the job, then you let Gamel work on his swing in the minors. I dont understand why you have to get rid of one or the other. Its not like Casey is anywhere near being a free agent. I say you ride Casey till he proves he is not worthy of that position.

Another option, would be to trade Hart(or move him to center) and put Gamel in the outfield, which most scouts project him as anyways.

If Gamel out plays Casey, then you start Gamel and keep Casey on the bench as a super sub. If Casey wins the job, then you let Gamel work on his swing in the minors. I dont understand why you have to get rid of one or the other. Its not like Casey is anywhere near being a free agent. I say you ride Casey till he proves he is not worthy of that position.
Our starting pitching is the worst in the league. The free agent market is weak, especially in starting pitching. We are going to have to trade from a deep position.

At this point I want Macha and Melvin fired. This organization just has no plan.
The plan seems to be to try and win as many games before the end of the season (even though the pitching is horrid and we were officially eliminated from the post-season last night). I don't think it's a particularly good or logical plan at this point. With so few home games left, they may as well play the young guys to see what they have with them.

Our starting pitching is the worst in the league. The free agent market is weak, especially in starting pitching. We are going to have to trade from a deep position.

If you trade Hart and move Gamel to the outfield you'd have the same end result.....an outfielder and a third basemen. But if you trade Hart you'd have 2 young guys you control for a number of years, both of whom are better offensively than Hart. Quite frankly, I don't think you're going to get anything more than a #4 or #5 for for McGehee, which we don't need, so you may as well keep him. If you can't get what you need pitching wise by trading Hart and Hardy, then you aren't going to get it with anything else we have other than Fielder and maybe Gamel.

Macha come up with the lamest excuses for not playing Gamel. I dont want to hear anymore about how Gamel is struggling in BP. I somewhat understand McGehee playing over Mat because he is trying for the ROY but Counsell over Gamel at this point in the season makes no sense whatsoever.

This is nothing but supposition, but maybe the organization isn't happy with Mat. Maybe he doesn't do things the right way, the professional way. And maybe they're dangling a carrot in front of him. In effect saying, "see how close your are, now seal the deal." Maybe they're trying to expose him to some of the guys who have excellent work/professional habits like Cam and Counsell? I think something is going on with Mat and the organization might be sending him asubtle message. Thoughts?

Archived