Brewer Fanatic

1 More Start For Gallardo, Burns Recalled

Minigoon

Desperate push for 200 K's and a winning W-L record for Yo, I guess? I don't really see the point and would much rather see Butler out there.

I know Burns was essentially needed with Yo being shut down after Sunday, but part of me is still terrified the remaining starts will be filled by Burns, and not Butler. You might as well see what you have in the latter now -- who knows, if he does well maybe he enters ST with an outside chance at a rotation spot in Milwaukee instead of starting the year in Nashville.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I guess I don't see things the same way. The coaching staff has to evaluate these guys and if they don't think Butler is ready yet then they shouldn't use him. I'm a big believer in that just because someone is recalled in September doesn't mean they should play. Just getting to work with the big league staff every day and seeing how the players conduct themselves is worth the recall. If you throw Butler in before they think he is ready and he gets lit up you've just possibly caused long term issues. If Burns gets lit up who really cares except Burns?

I guess I don't see things the same way. The coaching staff has to evaluate these guys and if they don't think Butler is ready yet then they shouldn't use him. I'm a big believer in that just because someone is recalled in September doesn't mean they should play. Just getting to work with the big league staff every day and seeing how the players conduct themselves is worth the recall. If you throw Butler in before they think he is ready and he gets lit up you've just possibly caused long term issues. If Burns gets lit up who really cares except Burns?
I can see that the team might not want to risk damaging Butler's confidence, but I don't think they'll get a better chance to evaluate him than they have right now. The way our staff looks now, Butler will be in the running for a spot in the rotation next spring. A few starts in the majors is gonna show them more than they'll see in Spring Training or AAA. Obviously, he'll be pretty amped up for his Major League debut, but this is about the least amount of pressure you can put on him in the majors, being out of the playoff race late in the season.

I am going to the game tomorrow. And while I am excited to see Yovani pitch in person for the second time, I would have been fine with the Brewers shutting him down and getting to see Josh Butler start tomorrow. Hopefully Butler starts in Yo's spot the final couple times this season after tomorrow. If Burns starts over him that would just show once again how idiotic Macha is.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived