Brewer Fanatic

Gross to Triple A, Spurling Activated

Giraldo8

ugh, I might be a little sick if Gross is demoted before Gwynn.

Eh. Normally, I'd agree with this sentiment, but Gross wasn't really playing all that much. With Hall coming back soon, Gross would have gone back to barely any playing time at all.

If we're going to have a 5th OF, who doesn't get many AB's and is used primarily as a pinch runner/defensive replacement, I actually prefer it to be Gwynn over Gross. The 5th OF spot is actually ideal for TGJ, given his skillset.

Gross wasn't really serving any purpose as the team's 5th OF, and rotting on the bench was hindering his progression as a hitter. Let him get some consistent AB's at AAA, and let Gwynn handle the late inning/spot-start stuff.

Gross wasn't really serving any purpose as the team's 5th OF, and rotting on the bench was hindering his progression as a hitter. Let him get some consistent AB's at AAA, and let Gwynn handle the late inning/spot-start stuff.

isn't this what we wanted with TGJ? isn't TGJ sitting on the bench hindering his progression and he is much more important than gross is down the road.

i think someone will be traded in the next two weeks..

regarrdless, gross hasn't done much this year...wherther thaat be his numbers or his lack of playing time, it doesnt really matter...

i know that balfour is out of options...but is manny? i think the team is carrying too many pitchers, but really what should they do?

Pogo, they need Parra to start next Saturday in the doubleheader. They couldn't have sent him down and recalled him that quickly.

And Gross has been rather awful in his limited time. Hopefully he goes down and gets some nice AB's. My money says that when Hall gets activated, Gwynn goes down, and Graffy is considered an IF/OF

Gross needs the at bats. I think he gets the shaft in Milwaukee anyway, so maybe if he hits we can either trade him or give him the shot he deserves. Gross has shown when he gets time(at both minor and major league level) that he will have an OBP of around .380 and gives you some power, good defense and average speed. I actually think he could outproduce Jenkins if he were given similar playing time. Good luck Gabe.

And this may actually be the first acknowledgment from DM and NY that Gwynn really is a 5th OF and not future starter. If he's a future starter, you'd send him back down to play regularly. I think they may finally realize that his best role (at any level) is to pinch hit/run and he serves the team better in that role than Gross does. So this could be a positive in the long run.

And this may actually be the first acknowledgment from DM and NY that Gwynn really is a 5th OF and not future starter. If he's a future starter, you'd send him back down to play regularly

I love it when people try reading too much into things. It's rather simple...they feel that RIGHT NOW, Tony Gwynn, jr has more value to the team than Gabe Gross.

As I said, I fully expect Gwynn to be sent down on Tuesday, Wed, or Thurs when Hall is activated. Then sometime after Saturday (when the pen is back to full strength after the DH), they'll send out a pitcher (likely Parra) to make room for a position player (Gwynn, Gross, or Rottino is likeliest)

I think there's a reasonable argument that both Gwynn and Gross can benefit from more ABs. Last time it was Tony's turn and this time it's Gabe's.

With Hall out, it may make sense to hang onto the better defensive center fielder. When Billy comes back, if the team still wants to carry 13 pitchers, we may see both Gabe and Tony in Nashville.

Good point, DHonks, about not wanting to option Manny if he may be needed in the next 10 days.

pogo, I believe Manny is out of options unless one of those obscure extra option rules would kick in. But keep in mind that as he's been on the 40-man roster all along, the ability to send him down and bring him back this year isn't affected (except by the 10 day rule).

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Quote:
I'd agree with this sentiment, but Gross wasn't really playing all that much. With Hall coming back soon, Gross would have gone back to barely any playing time at all.
That's exactly the point. Gross should be getting the pt that Gwynn's had since he's been up.

JSOnline..

Spurling reinstated; Gross sent down

The Brewers reinstated right-hander Chris Spurling from the bereavement list today and sent reserve outfielder Gabe Gross to Class AAA Nashville.

Gross had played in 55 games, batting .202 with four homers and nine RBI in 89 at-bats. Manager Ned Yost said Gross wasn't getting enough at-bats and needed to go to Nashville to play regularly.

"It will be beneficial to Gabe to get more at-bats," said Yost. "He just needs to play."

Spurling left the club last Sunday to be with his family in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., after 1-year-old son Logan had a swimming pool accident. Spurling said his son is OK now.

The move gives the Brewers 13 pitchers and 12 position players.

-----

Guess it's official. Sad day here in the Gross household.

Quote:
Spurling left the club last Sunday to be with his family in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., after 1-year-old son Logan had a swimming pool accident. Spurling said his son is OK now.

Yikes. Glad everything is ok.

isn't TGJ sitting on the bench hindering his progression and he is much more important than gross is down the road.

I personally think Gross has a higher ceiling than TGJ. Gwynn's skillset isn't necessarily something that needs to be developed any further. He's fast, he slaps the ball, and he plays good defense. That stuff isn't really going to improve or regress based on playing time, and he's never going to hit for any power. He's an ideal 4th or 5th outfielder.

I think Gross at least has the potential to be a legit major league hitter. I just don't see that from Gwynn. His offense might improve slightly with more experience/at-bats, but I think he is what he is, and that's a player who's hitting will most likely never justify a starting spot in a major league outfield.

I think that Graffanino playing some decent outfield has made Gross even more expendable.

When Jenks is benched versus RHP, Gross won't see the light of day unless Yost lets him pinch hit first. He's done it a few times, which makes no sense to me.

Maybe Gwynn is being showcased. It makes sense to show people that you think he's better than Gross, even if you don't think that.

Expansion of the rosters is Aug 31st. I'd love to see a fresh Gross coming off the bench to hit when we need it.

This makes more and more sense the more I think about it.

Gross is not expendable, as was evidenced just a few minutes ago. The Brewers need that lefty bat off the bench...having to hit Graff in the 8th vs. Lincecum showed very clearly that not having Gross' lefty bat is going to hamper the Brewer bench.

I agree with the move. Gwynn can cover more ground in the outfield, and is an excellent option to pinch run. Gabe just isn't getting enough playing time up here to expect him to perform well in a pinch hitting role.

Archived