Brewer Fanatic

Computer Help

Dmiles23

Ok, let me preface this post by saying that the book "Computers for Dummies" was written for a person like me!!

But I have had this problem for quite a while now, and it's come to the point where I need to do something about it. So, instead of taking it somewhere, I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me.

About a year ago, I got Verizon high speed internet. Prior to that, everything on my computer worked great. I didn't have problems with anything. But the moment I switched to Verizon, a few programs I used quite regularly wouldn't work... and all for the same reason. They are all programs that you need to download to run (such as HouseCall Virus Scanner and my P2P downloading program). I can download the program, but when I try to start it, they for some reason can not connect to the internet.

The reason I bring this up now is because I was just forced to download the new MSN Messenger, and now the new version won't connect to the internet. For this problem, it gives 2 "fixes." 1 is to check my firewall settings and the other is to adjust the proxy. I checked the firewall exceptions, and MSN Messenger is already on the list... so that should be fine. As for the proxy settings, it gives instructions on how to fix this for IE, but I use Firefox... so I tried to copy the steps, but I don't know how successful I was. But as far as I can tell, the problem is not with my firewall or proxy settings.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I would be grateful.

My computer does have a firewall, but I've messed around with that and I don't think that's the problem. The anti-virus I have is straight from the Verizon service, so I'm not sure if that has a firewall. I guess I didn't know that was possible... but would make sense if it was. I'm not even sure how to look to see if the Verizon anti-virus has a firewall. Ha... I'm just confused, and I'm sure this paragraph makes me sound confused!!

I'd bet on the proxy stuff being OK. Home users usually don't mess with those.

Is it possible that your new MSN will need to be re-added to your exceptions list? Maybe the list reflects the old one.

I think a call to Verizon is probably in order. If software that came from them is affecting your ability to properly run your computer, they should be the ones to help.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived