Brewer Fanatic

Should the Brewers keep both Lopez and Weeks?

FVBrewerFan

Is it a foregone conclusion that Lopez won't be back next year? He may be a little above his career numbers, but he seems to be exactly what they need at the lead-off spot. Will Weeks even be 100% to start the season, and can he stay 100%? May not be a bad idea to keep them both for 2010. Anyhow, curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

(edit: more specific topic title --1992casey)

I don't think it is a foregone conclusion at all, I think after how well he's performed that there is a good chance he'll be back.

I'm sure he would rather play everyday at 1 position, but the fact that he can play 2B, SS, 3B and Corner Outfield makes me want to bring him back even more. Also, last time Rickie had the same wrist injury it took him a long time to fully recover, so having Lopez as insurance would be ideal.

I'd 100% offer him arby. Lawrie is likely ready to take over in 2011 anyway, so offering arby would only keep Lopez here for a year. That enables us to play either he or Weeks at 2B next season. If Weeks has value despite his injury due to the fact it looked like he was turning the corner early in this past season, we can move him for pitching. If not, I am sure we could get something of value for a year of Lopez at a reasonable salary in another contract year. Or you keep both and have great options. That'd be far from horrible. But I am 100% confident we will be offering arbitration to Lopez and 100% confident we won't sign him to a long term deal.

I think it's a forgone conclusion that they'll offer him arbitration. He's got to be looking at a multiyear deal from somebody; with money being supposedly tight and a surplus at his positions, I'd say he most likely won't be back (unless one/two of Weeks, McGehee, and Gamel gets traded).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd offer him arby. If he accepts you get a decent utility guy that could be traded at some point if the need arises. If he declines you get a draft pick.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'd offer him arby. If he accepts you get a decent utility guy that could be traded at some point if the need arises. If he declines you get a draft pick.
I agree they should/will offer him arby. However, homer, you have it wrong, if he declines, the Brewers don't automatically get a draft pick. Someone needs to sign him first to receive a draft pick or draft picks. If he becomes a type A free agent, which I think he might be at this time, teams might be a little more reluctant to sign him.

Lawrie is likely ready to take over in 2011 anyway
So next year you expect Lawrie to complete Brevard County, Huntsville and Nashville so that he is ready by 2011?

I'd say there is about a 5% chance Lawrie is on the Brewers opening day 2011.

You realize that Lawrie finished this season at AA Huntsville, right? No chance he opens next year at BC.

Yes, and I assume he's maybe playing winter ball this year? He could be up by 2011. Maybe he's even a September call up next season. We have to remember the situation with Weeks...it's not a forgone conclusion he'll be able to play well next year, or make it through a whole season.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm betting Lopez has parlayed his fine offensive season into a fulltime 2B status with some team. Personally I don't believe he'll be able to maintain this level, but even at his career numbers he's not a bad option for a team in need of a 2B. I doubt he'd be interested in a reserve role with the Brewers.

I really hope they choose to bring back Lopez and just move on from Weeks. There comes a time when a team just has to quit investing in a dead horse and Weeks is a dead horse. Some will say he was just starting to show the true potential he had but the fact is he got hurt again. I'm sure there is some team who would give up a decent pitcher for Weeks and I hope Doug spends the winter seeking that team out.

If I was Lopez I'd tell Melvin that I'd be open to return with a longterm deal BUT only as the everyday 2B & if his buddy Weeks is moved to another position ....otherwise, free agency

Is Weeks healthy enough to work on a move to the OF this winter? (I'm thinking instructional league training not winter league games)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I agree they should/will offer him arby. However, homer, you have it wrong, if he declines, the Brewers don't automatically get a draft pick. Someone needs to sign him first to receive a draft pick or draft picks. If he becomes a type A free agent, which I think he might be at this time, teams might be a little more reluctant to sign him.

Yes, you are correct. You'd think I'd have learned something from the Ben Sheets debacle.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I read somewhere that Lopez wants a contract around 4 years - 30million in pay. He wants a lot to stay. And that is a lot of cash to spend on a guy who is known to not hustle from time to time in the middle of a big contract year.

Offer Arby, then take the draft picks......I dont see the Brewers giving up on Ricky at 2nd

Offer Lopez arby. I don't think it would be that big of a deal if he accepted. He's be impressive since he's been here.

I'd like to keep them both, because odds are Weeks struggles mightily out of the gate next year. That's a long lay off for a hitter who's just hiting his prime.

If Weeks comes back strong, Lopez could be a good utility player or decent trade bait.

I really hope they choose to bring back Lopez and just move on from Weeks. There comes a time when a team just has to quit investing in a dead horse and Weeks is a dead horse. Some will say he was just starting to show the true potential he had but the fact is he got hurt again. I'm sure there is some team who would give up a decent pitcher for Weeks and I hope Doug spends the winter seeking that team out.

The Brewers wouldn't be too smart if they got rid of Weeks. At the very least he's cheap. He was having a breakout year.

Archived