Brewer Fanatic

Realistic trade scenarios involving Fielder?

DannoMac21

I agree with Sveum and Briggs.

I think the Brewers have a real shot at being World Series contenders in 2011 with Prince. If you trade Prince this off-season, the Brewers probably won't contend until 2013. (If all the prospect's pan out)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It comes down to the fact that whatever a team would offer for Fielder, it won't be enough to offset the loss of the the NL's 2nd best hitter for the next 2 years.

True, but if you trade him next year you'll get even less, and if you let him walk the year after that at BEST you'll get a draft pick no higher than what, 16 plus maybe another one in the mid to late 30's, which is again even less. I used to be all about getting comp picks, then I've watched the Brewers get screwed over by the flaws in the system. Unless the Brewers have a significant upgrade in pitching next season, which I don't think you'll get from trading Hardy or Hart, the team is not going to be much better. You don't blow an opportunity to get a massive haul unless you are darn sure you're team is going somewhere in the next two years. I think Melvin needs to figure out early in the offseason if he can upgrade the pitching enough to make a run at the playoffs and if he doesn't think he can he needs to consider offers for Fielder. Obviously you don't trade him for the sake of trading him, but I don't think you can expect a team to give away their 2 and 3 starters to get him either. I would be willing to accept high ceiling, high level (AA or AAA) prospects for Fielder. The core of the offense, minus Fielder, is now Braun, Escobar, Gamel and McGehee, and all four will be around for awhile. Within the next 2 seasons you can expect players like Cain, Schafer, Green, Salome, Lucroy, and Lawrie to be around as well. If you can get some good, young pitchers to come up around the same time as those players, you are setting yourself up for a good couple of years. I just think its a bad idea to accept draft picks for Fielder. We don't even know if that compensation system will be around after the next CBA either do we?

Unless the Brewers have a significant upgrade in pitching next season, which I don't think you'll get from trading Hardy or Hart, the team is not going to be much better. You don't blow an opportunity to get a massive haul unless you are darn sure you're team is going somewhere in the next two years.
I think the significant upgrade in pitching with be in 2011. We have plenty of promising minor league arms that could be ready (or near) to pitch in the major leagues with Butler, Rogers, Jeffress, Braddock, Peralta, Arnett, etc.

While it is completely insane to count on those players to contribute to a championship team in their rookie year, as they approach the major leagues - their trade value goes up a ton.

If the Brewers can stay in contention in 2011, they will have PLENTY of assets to trade for the likes of a CC Sabathia or Roy Halladay to make a run before Prince Fielder leaves.

Unless the Brewers have a significant upgrade in pitching next season, which I don't think you'll get from trading Hardy or Hart, the team is not going to be much better

I will almost guarantee one of the 3Bs get traded. The Brewers are in great position to trade, as we have surplus position players, and more importantly, we can take on a large salary.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Yesterday I was listening to the score in Chicago and one of the guys there said the White Sox so call up doug and get Fielder. What about Danks, Thorton, and a AA/AAA outfielder? I think that that would be about right. Gamel goes to 1st base , Mcgee goes to 3rd

Yesterday I was listening to the score in Chicago and one of the guys there said the White Sox so call up doug and get Fielder. What about Danks, Thorton, and a AA/AAA outfielder? I think that that would be about right. Gamel goes to 1st base , Mcgee goes to 3rd
Not even close. Would be more like Ely, Shelby, and then after that there isn't anything special in the White Sox organization that would be worth even mentioning for a trade for Fielder.

If anything the White Sox would have to include Beckham to that list and then the Brewers probably wouldn't have any interest in Beckham with the logjam the Brewers already have in the IF.

The White Sox are not a good team for the Brewers to target for a Fielder trade. Why the White Sox are not a good choice? It is because they do not have any elite young pitching prospects or MLB ready pitchers. I'm sorry but Danks is not an elite prospect nor is he a great pitcher. A more realistic trade would be Buehrle, Ely, and Shelby/?????? there really isn't much to trade for in the White Sox minor league system there just really isn't anything there it is rather depleted. Ely is the only player I would want from the White Sox farm system.

Heyman is just likely spouting off. The Brewers have offered long term contracts the past two offseasons after all, a third is hardly a big jump. The biggest issue is that another down market could actually mean there's a chance at a signing but I don't expect that until the FA period has played out. Its a small chance but probably greater than at any other point Fielder has been here.

Heyman is just likely spouting off. The Brewers have offered long term contracts the past two offseasons after all, a third is hardly a big jump. The biggest issue is that another down market could actually mean there's a chance at a signing but I don't expect that until the FA period has played out. Its a small chance but probably greater than at any other point Fielder has been here.
I believe after last off season (arby numbers) the Brewers and Fielder are closer to what they believe Fielder's value is. Obviously the Brewers are going to offer Fielder an extension that is a no brainer. I believe Fielder will accept a contract this year if the market is yet again down for another year. If it buys out 2-3 years of free agency I believe Fielder will take that. If the market looks to stay low then it will be in Fielders best interest to sign a mid-term deal rather than a long-term deal when he hits FA.

It will all depend on the off season though. Holliday, Bay, and Lackey are the only ones that look like they will get huge paychecks this off season so the market maybe down once again after those three are gone.

If we pretty much stay out of the free agent game (ie allowing Cameron, Kendall, Weathers, Lopez to walk while adding starters only via trades) we just might be able to lock up Prince longer term this off-season.
Unlikely and that would be a big gamble if Prince says no and you could have gotten someone like Lackey.

I believe after last off season (arby numbers) the Brewers and Fielder are closer to what they believe Fielder's value is. Obviously the Brewers are going to offer Fielder an extension that is a no brainer. I believe Fielder will accept a contract this year if the market is yet again down for another year. If it buys out 2-3 years of free agency I believe Fielder will take that. If the market looks to stay low then it will be in Fielders best interest to sign a mid-term deal rather than a long-term deal when he hits FA.

It will all depend on the off season though. Holliday, Bay, and Lackey are the only ones that look like they will get huge paychecks this off season so the market maybe down once again after those three are gone.

Boras won't allow Prince to be signed during the year. So if we don't get to him, we have to deal with him next year when he's arby eligible and Mauer and Pujols are potentially there....

I never thought I see a Brewer player get into the 20+ million a year category.

• 2 weeks later...

How about James Loney and Chad Billingsley for Prince? Loney's numbers have been held back by playing half his games in a pitcher's park. Career Away numbers of: .320/.375/.524. Big upgrade over Fielder defensively as well.

I think Colleti would probably go for it. I'm sure the Dodgers have enough money to go out and get a guy like Lackey through Free Agency to replace Billingsley in the rotation.

Trade JJ for Morrow, and we potentially have four guys at the top of our rotation (if Parra can turn it around) that can actually miss some bats.

Thats an interesting trade idea, I don't know if the Dodgers would do that though. That would definitely be capitalizing on Prince's value right now, and Billingsley would be the ace we are looking for.. What are Loney and Billingsley's contract status?

It comes down to the fact that whatever a team would offer for Fielder, it won't be enough to offset the loss of the the NL's 2nd best hitter for the next 2 years.

True, but if you trade him next year you'll get even less, and if you let him walk the year after that at BEST you'll get a draft pick no higher than what, 16 plus maybe another one in the mid to late 30's, which is again even less. I used to be all about getting comp picks, then I've watched the Brewers get screwed over by the flaws in the system. Unless the Brewers have a significant upgrade in pitching next season, which I don't think you'll get from trading Hardy or Hart, the team is not going to be much better. You don't blow an opportunity to get a massive haul unless you are darn sure you're team is going somewhere in the next two years. I think Melvin needs to figure out early in the offseason if he can upgrade the pitching enough to make a run at the playoffs and if he doesn't think he can he needs to consider offers for Fielder. Obviously you don't trade him for the sake of trading him, but I don't think you can expect a team to give away their 2 and 3 starters to get him either. I would be willing to accept high ceiling, high level (AA or AAA) prospects for Fielder. The core of the offense, minus Fielder, is now Braun, Escobar, Gamel and McGehee, and all four will be around for awhile. Within the next 2 seasons you can expect players like Cain, Schafer, Green, Salome, Lucroy, and Lawrie to be around as well. If you can get some good, young pitchers to come up around the same time as those players, you are setting yourself up for a good couple of years. I just think its a bad idea to accept draft picks for Fielder. We don't even know if that compensation system will be around after the next CBA either do we?

They wouldn't just be getting draft picks. They'd be getting 2 years of a premier hitter and run producer, the likes of which this franchise has never had, which puts bodies in the seats that would be elsewhere with a lesser player manning 1B.. Assuming they can't re-sign him, they'd have $15-20 million they would have spent to keep him to invest elsewhere to replace his production or find pitching on the open market..

Thats an interesting trade idea, I don't know if the Dodgers would do that though. That would definitely be capitalizing on Prince's value right now, and Billingsley would be the ace we are looking for.. What are Loney and Billingsley's contract status?

Billingsley and Loney are both going into their first year of arbitration.

I think the Dodgers would do the proposed deal. Fielder is definitely a top 10 hitter in this league, and they'd have a very good shot of resigning him. Kemp, Ethier, and Fielder would give them ideal hitters at the 2,3, and 4 spots. That's a great line-up right now, and I'd argue all 3 still haven't peaked yet.

Kemp, Ethier, and Fielder would give them ideal hitters at the 2,3, and 4 spots. That's a great line-up right now, and I'd argue all 3 still haven't peaked yet.
That is just fearsome - that would allow LA to put together the most dominant set of three hitters in the league, with the possibility of keeping them all around for the next five years or so - through their prime years.

Does the fact that the Braves have Hudson virtually extended make it more probable that we could land either Vasquez or Lowe?
I don't think Vazquez is available it is either Lowe or Kawakami. Haven't heard a thing that Vazquez is even remotely available at all. Kawakami and Lowe have been the only two names other than Hudson who would be available.

Archived