Brewer Fanatic

Question about the elusive SGA Jenkins Bobble:

TURBO

Is the 2001 SGA Jenkins a hard one to find?

I've been looking for one for years with no luck...

Got a retail version 2 times when I was told it was the SGA. That was not the case.

I'm surprised it is so hard to get my hands on, even ebay comes up short...

It is the last one I need to complete my collection, so I'll keep trying...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I've seen it on there fairly often, it might be more than you wanna pay buy it now (50?) but hold out for a auction. Unless you HAVE to have it immediately. I couldn't find a mini jenkins or clark for 6 months, so when they came up, I ended up paying more than I would have liked to since I got too excited.

Thankfully I backed out of one of the Jenkins auctions when another one came up, the first one went for like 45, I got mine for something like 22. It's all about patience, and timing.

It'll be on there, if I happen to see one, I'll letcha know.

thanks for the info.

I don't have to have it right away, just want to complete the collection so I can display it in my newly finished basement man room...lol

I believe it is the first bobble the Brewers ever gave away. So with the passage of time, I'd expect it to be hard to find.
Not only that, but it was not an "all fan giveaway". It was for the first x amount of kids 16 and under.
20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

I believe it is the first bobble the Brewers ever gave away. So with the passage of time, I'd expect it to be hard to find.
Not only that, but it was not an "all fan giveaway". It was for the first x amount of kids 16 and under.

if that is the case, that would explain its scarceness...

thanks for the info!

That's right, I remember it being the first 10,000 kids. And it was 14 and under, not 16. I remember because I was with a kid who turned 14 the next week and barely made the cut. I didn't even know it was a giveaway day, but that was the first one I got and I was hooked since then. Now I have somewhere over 200.

My brother also got one and didn't care about bobbles, so I put his on eBay right away and it sold for $81 to some guy in Kentucky, and that was in 2001.

Brew City - That IS the SGA as far as I can tell. I have the SGA so I don't know what the back of the retail one looks like, but that is what the back of mine looks like. The front of the retail Jenkins bobble says "Geoff Jenkins" on its base. The front of the SGA says "piggly wiggly."

I'm 100% sure it was 14 and under. My nephew's DOB is 7/1/87 and he got one, and I remember the guy handing them out telling him he barely made it. That giveaway was 6/17/01. Looking back that doesn't make sense, because even at 14 he still would get one. But I know 14 was the cutoff.

On the low end I'd say $25. High end $60.

I'm 100% sure it was 14 and under. My nephew's DOB is 7/1/87 and he got one, and I remember the guy handing them out telling him he barely made it. That giveaway was 6/17/01. Looking back that doesn't make sense, because even at 14 he still would get one. But I know 14 was the cutoff.

On the low end I'd say $25. High end $60.

I guess we'll have to adree to disagree. It was 16 and under my friend.

Then you'd need to see the front, because I know the front of the bases were different. The retail says Jenkins and the SGA says piggly wiggly.

Anyway, the 16 and under Jenkins bobblehead was the mini bobblehead given away in 2004. All of the bobbles in that series were the first 10,000 16 and under. All three of the bobbleheads given away in 2001 were the first 10,000 fans 14 and under. I'm positive of that fact, I just don't know where I could prove it.

Then you'd need to see the front, because I know the front of the bases were different. The retail says Jenkins and the SGA says piggly wiggly.

Anyway, the 16 and under Jenkins bobblehead was the mini bobblehead given away in 2004. All of the bobbles in that series were the first 10,000 16 and under. All three of the bobbleheads given away in 2001 were the first 10,000 fans 14 and under. I'm positive of that fact, I just don't know where I could prove it.

it was 16 and under.

Upon reading this 16 vs. 14 debate, I was hoping I could help solve it with the Brewers publications we kept have from 2001 - but the publications don't settle it.

The 2001 media guide has a list of promotions "as of January 15, 2001." It's not a complete list and the bobbleheads are not included. The kid promotions that are listed (Wilson Glove Day, WDA Comic Book, etc.) say "14 and under." There was also a "16 and older" screen saver giveaway, which maybe means it sucked to be a 15 year old that year.

The 2001 pocket schedule lists the bobbleheads, but it just says Kids - no ages specified.

The 2001 Guest Information Guide has what looks like the most complete list, but is also the most confounding. Here is what it says for each of the bobblehead giveaways:

The first 10,000 fans, receive a (Jenkins or Uecker or Yount) Bobble Head Doll, courtesy of (sponsor name, which varies with the bobble: Pepsi and Piggly Wiggly for Jenkins, Pepsi for Uecker, Pepsi and Pick 'n Save for Yount). It looks like they intended to insert an age limit, but didn't.

For what it's worth, here are the other age limits in that 2001 Guest Information Guide list of promotions:

Miller Lite Adult Cap Day - 21 and older

Kids Home Opener - 14 and under (baseball cards)

Kids Floppy Hat Night - 16 and under

Clear Channel Adult Wall Calendar Night - 18 and older (I'm sure it wasn't truly "adult" content; they could have named that better)

Wilson Glove Day - 14 and under

WDA Kids Comic Book Night - 14 and under

Police Baseball Cards Day - 14 and under

Miller Lite Umbrella Night - 21 and older

Screen Saver Night - 16 and older

Adult Sports Cooler Bag Night - 18 and older

Kids Miller Park Puzzle Day - 14 and under

Edy's/Jewel Osco Lunch Bag Day - 14 and under

Kids Cap Day - 14 and under

UWM Homecoming Long Sleeve shirt night - 18 and older

The majority of kid giveaways that year were for age 14 and under, so in the absence of further proof, I'd lean toward 14.

Let's hope the promotions staff saved information more concrete than the Brewers published in print in 2001.

(I also checked the archive.org site, but the milwaukeebrewers.com links from 2001 don't go anywhere.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

WEBMASTER

to me

show details 3:24 PM (17 hours ago)

According to our records, the Geoff Jenkins bobble head give away in the year 2001 was given to the first 10,000 kids ages 14 and under. In the year 2004, the first 10,000 kids ages 16 and under received a mini Geoff Jenkins bobble head.

Thank you for your continued support .

Milwaukee Brewers Baseball Club

Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 4:24 PM

To: To Whom It May Concern

Subject: mil - Other - None - Brewers old bobblehead giveaways

First Name: ****

Last Name: ****

E-mail Address: ******@gmail.com

Phone Type: Mobile Phone Number

IP Address: 69.23.45.242

Subject: Brewers old bobblehead giveaways

Hi, I have a very odd question that I doubt you will be able to answer. I was just wondering which fans received the Geoff Jenkins bobblehead given away in 2001. A long time ago, but I thought it was the first 10,000 fans 14 and under. If there's anyway you could clarify, please let me know. Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived