Brewer Fanatic

Macha and his players not on same page? (Latest: Macha to return with 2011 club option)

Invader3K
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been enjoyable to read this thread and the comments from people who didn't have one good thing to say about Ned Yost last year actually giving him some props because I was considered one of the biggest idiots on the boards for supporting Ned Yost one year ago and respecting his managing ability. It almost seems like I knew what I was talking about. Who knows though. None of us will because Doug decide to put the blame of a slump onto Ned by giving him the Ax. Did the change of a manager with 12 games to go get us into the playoffs, though? I'd say no, but I'm sure some people will play devils advocate and say yes.

The Counting Crows sang a good song. It went something along the lines of, "You Don't know what you got until it's gone". Case and point with Ned Yost.

I tend to agree, Rillo. I know there were a few of us saying that while it was probably time for someone different, that the people calling for Yost's head would be stunned when the next manager did a lot of the same things and would have them calling for his head this season as well.

I'm not sad Yost is gone, but I'm disappointed that the Brewers didn't do a better job in hiring his replacement. With the likes of Escobar & Gamel coming up, as a GM imo you have to know they will play when you decide it's time to promote them.

I think in general, I prefer Macha's handling of the bullpen to Yost's. Admittedly just from my recollection this season, Macha appears much more aggressive in giving pitchers the hook than Yost ever was. I prefer that approach against waiting to see if anything bad happens -- and then reacting once it's too late. Being more aggressive, if runs are scored, well at least you tried to play the better matchup.

Even though I preferred Macha in this aspect, his unwillingness to give the duo of Escobar & Gamel playing time is really troubling. As bknbrewcrew said, "Macha is ill equipped to handle young players and the Brewers will always need young players to contribute in a big way."

I think we're almost better off going with someone with little or no coaching experience so they have no stupid preexisting coaching philosophies. I'm only half kidding.

I like that idea a lot. I'd agree with you even if you weren't kidding at all. From what little I've heard, Acta is a decent candidate, but I heard that Macha was too http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Can't say I'm familiar enough with Bobby V. to have an opinion.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

As far as Macha is concerned, right-hander Braden Looper is a keeper. There is a mutual option on Looper's contract for 2010, which increased from $6 million to $6.5 million Friday night when he made his 30th start of the season.

Looper has a high earned run average (4.77) and has allowed 34 home runs, most in the majors, but thanks to strong run support has a 12-6 record. As far as Macha is concerned, that's the bottom line.

"We're six games under .500 and he's six over," said Macha. "As manager, absolutely I want him back.

"I like his preparation, his intensity. He has the ability to get out of a jam. The home runs are worrisome. I've told him he has to stand tall and throw downhill. Sometimes, he tries too hard and overthrows his 'split,' and hangs it. When he does that, they hit it hard."

Bye Ken.

Looper is not worth $6 million for next season. He's in his mid 30's, does not have overwhelming "stuff", and his personal record is flukey due to the incredible run support he's gotten compared to other Brewers pitchers this season. The only way he should be back is at a negotiated lower salary amount...like maybe $2-3 million or so. Otherwise, let him go. We don't need more Loop & Soup types eating up valuable salary on this team.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Craig Counsell has been a valuable for the Brewers this year. Why, though, is he the starting shortstop on September 14th when Escobar is sitting on the bench? I guess I also wonder why Gamel isn't in the lineup either. I haven't been impressed with Macha this year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If we're not bringing Looper back, who's taking his starts? Villy? McClung? Burns? There's no one ready to take 30 starts.

If we're not bringing back Looper, there needs to be some realistic ideas for how those innings will be filled.

6.5 million for a #4 type with a 5-ish E.R.A. isn't really overpaying.

If we're not bringing back Looper, there needs to be some realistic ideas for how those innings will be filled.
A trade... I hope. Looper is the most expendable pitcher in the rotation because of his contract. I'd actually take Looper over Suppan if I had choice, but no one is going to take Suppan's contract off our hands. That being said I don't have much faith and I think we'll start next year with exactly the same rotation as this season. Hopefully some of the young arms explode next season like Rivas and Rogers.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

"We're six games under .500 and he's six over," said Macha. "As manager, absolutely I want him back.

Then what about Gallardo? He's only a .500 pitcher? His W-L record fails to explain his staggering HR totals (yay for giving up a towering HR to Mark Buehrle), his fat ERA, and it's a product of some really nice run support. I couldn't find a ranking of run support by pitcher (or didn't look hard enough -- it's late and I should be doing other things), but we've been eyeballing it. I hope this is just manager-speak, but that quote makes me want to break stuff.

107 pitches after already skipping a start is now "riding into the ground"? Give me a break.

Wouldn't you rather play it safe than see Yo potentially face arm/elbow/shoulder problems next season? Simply put, the Brewers need to be very careful with Yo.

There's an update on the JSOnline blog talking about the weekend pitching situation. Gord Ash asserts that Parra won't make his next scheduled start, but Macha says he "wouldn't rule that out." Does anyone in this organization know their right hand from their left at this point?
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

As far as Macha is concerned, right-hander Braden Looper is a keeper. There is a mutual option on Looper's contract for 2010, which increased from $6 million to $6.5 million Friday night when he made his 30th start of the season.

Looper has a high earned run average (4.77) and has allowed 34 home runs, most in the majors, but thanks to strong run support has a 12-6 record. As far as Macha is concerned, that's the bottom line.

"I like his preparation, his intensity. He has the ability to get out of a jam. The home runs are worrisome. I've told him he has to stand tall and throw downhill. Sometimes, he tries too hard and overthrows his 'split,' and hangs it. When he does that, they hit it hard."

Bye Ken.

What do you expect the manager to say..."he sucks and I hope he is not here next year, there is no way the Brewers should pay this guy $6 million next year"

It's not so much that, it's this kind of logic: "We're six games under .500 and he's six over," said Macha. "As manager, absolutely I want him back.

If he really believes that, then I don't think there's much justification for keeping him on.

6.5 million for a #4 type with a 5-ish E.R.A. isn't really overpaying.

Actually if you consider he has a $1 million buyout if the Brewers want out, his effective cost to retain him is only $5.5 million.

And I agree that he needs to be retained just to insure that the Brewers have some semblance of a starting pitching staff next year. If for some reason, Melvin is able to acquire better starting pitchers through free agency or trades, they can move Suppan and/or Looper into the pen for the last year of their contract in 2010 (or Looper can be included in said trade).

Is the level of available pitching out there really so bad that they can't find a guy to put up a 5.00-ish ERA for only around $1-2 million or so (either call someone up from the minors, or sign a FA veteran, etc). If we're going to overpay a starting pitcher, why can't it be someone who is actually, you know, good?

Macha has proven himself to be a complete incompetent. He hates playing young guys and would even play a scrub like Patterson more than a guy like Gamel. Its obvious that he would love a team consisting entirely of veterans and that is just the wrong type of guy for this organization. Its also obvious that the players dont like him so I see no point in bringing him back.

On another note I cant say I trust Melvin to hire the right replacement. Between hiring Yost and Macha as well as his interviewing only three candidates in Macha, Brenly, and Randolph who were all terrible choices I just dont trust Melvin to hire the right guy to replace Macha. It might be time to replace Melvin and Macha and start over with new minds and ideas. I believe Dan O'Dowd's contract runs out after the season and I would make a big push to hire him.

I will say this...I think by now we can expect what kind of manager Melvin would hire, given Yost and Macha's similar tendencies. I don't think he has the philosophy to look at someone who will be a bit outside the box, like a Bobby Valentine or Tony LaRussa type guy. Which is probably a shame.

I am very concerned about several pitchers on the staff most notably Gallardo who has thrown way too many pitches this season. Coffey has definitely been overused as well and I wouldnt mind seeing a few guys given the rest of the year off. September baseball for teams out of contention is a time to rest overworked pitchers and to see the young prospects in action. In both of these cases Macha has failed miserably. Melvin has to take some blame as well since he has the power to tell his manager who to rest and who to play.

most of the doings during the second half of the season were not macha's fault. The fact that Soup and Bush went down really affected how he used his pen. The starters only going 4-5 innings also didn't help. The fact he was forced to start mike burns wasn't his fault. The pitching depth in this organization is just not deep. I wish he'd start Butler to see what we got in him. Narverson has no future with the organization. Offensively things fell apart when Weeks went down. There are plenty of moves that can be second guessed but i though while we had the best record in the NL that he was better than Yost and I still do.

Archived