Brewer Fanatic

Macha and his players not on same page? (Latest: Macha to return with 2011 club option)

Invader3K

Adam McCalvy has something interesting in his latest blog post, in regards to Braun getting the day off today.

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/

Brewers manager Ken Macha said Braun had been complaining of "aches and pains" in his right shoulder, and indeed Braun emerged in the clubhouse following Monday's 3-0 loss to the Cardinals having just iced the joint. But Braun seemed surprised by the manager's revelation about his shoulder.

"I don't know what he's talking about," Braun said as he walked away.

This just seems weird to me. Maybe Braun was just upset about something else, but there seems like there's been a pattern of stuff like this throughout the season. I remember hearing Haudricourt talk a couple weeks ago about how Macha would say he was using McGehee sparingly because of his knees. Then McGehee would tell all the reporters there was nothing wrong with him. I know players don't like to talk about injuries unless they are really obviously hurt, but it just seems like the manager and his players are not on the same page at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players never say they're injured, or they might lose playing time. Lopez, McGehee, Cameron, and so on have all been getting treatment every day and the first two have looked in pain all the time. The trainers report every thing they do on a daily basis, because they are employed by the team, and like having jobs. Players may consider them minor, but you gotta wonder how much they are affecting them, especially the not so young guys like Cameron.

This is a part of the game that has carried over from the days of greenies...just pop some drugs and you can play for 3 hours. Even Joe Morgan, as old school as they come, will say guys need to stop playing at 70%, as they hurt the team, even if they are far better than their replacement.

In Cameron's case, you gotta wonder if he made the mistake of admitting his hammy cramped or tightened up as he went to catch that knuckling liner...he looked to play it awkwardly, and being in pain would be a reason why one would do that.

I am not sure about the players and Macha being on the same page, but I get the feeling Macha is a little to hands on with his managing. For example, the run game seems off this year. I know Weeks being out hurts us, but even while he was playing, we were not running much. It seems like Macha picks the spots when players run instead of giving certain players the green light to run when they feel they can. He uses IBB quite a bit to set up matchups he thinks are favorable, including walking the bases loaded in some cases. How walking the bases loaded ever puts a pitcher in a better position, I don't know. Having his pitchers bunt a lot. It seems like Macha is trying to control and make things happen instead of letting the players play.

Of course I thought the players didn't didn't get enough rest throughout the season and the bench didn't get enough work.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Macha has been calling more hit and runs lately, with little success. I promise you if they had Figgins and Ellsbury in the 1/2 spots, they'd be happy to run. They don't, so they don't.

Escobar will probably run a lot in the future, as long as he can make it 70% of the time. He runs mighty fast, and should get better as he learns more about pitchers.

This wouldn't be the first time there were reports of Macha not being on the same page as his players, so I can't say I'm surprised. Though I guess I'd never take anything Braun decided to walk away from the press about as too big an indictment of anyone else.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

They just said on TV a few days ago the players have the green light, and have all year. They have just been taught not to run much.

That flies in the face of what they were saying on the broadcasts earlier in the season. It was pretty well stated repeatedly that Macha didn't want them to be running. From what I recall, the green light didn't light up until the blood-letting a month ago.

I don't buy the taught not to run line. Cameron wasn't brought up through our system. This will be the first season in his career since he has been a regular starter that he doesn't have double digits in stolen bases. Heck, he doesn't even have double digit attempts. Lopez, while not a huge runner, has technically slowed down his attempts since coming here, and he's been on base at a higher rate while here as well.

Braun though does run at some strange times, and I've often wondered if he's just ignoring orders or not. He's the only guy with double digit stolen bases on the season. Outside of Hart, Braun is the only guy with double digit attempts. Hart's numbers are also way off what they have been. Yes, he's been miserable this year, and he's been out, but there is a clear difference in his numbers this year, versus his previous seasons, even despite his output.

Macha, in March;

"People say a typical leadoff hitter can steal a base. I don't want to be giving up outs on the bases with guys up there who can hit homers. Do you want to get thrown out on the bases when Prince (Fielder) is hitting? I don't think so."
I completely agree with Macha on this. Your base stealers should be batting lower in the lineup this is when you need those extra base hits more with your weakest part of the lineup up and in the NL having the pitcher batting 9th. A caught stealing with the pitcher or #8 hitter up won't hurt you as much as being caught stealing when your #3, #4, and #5 hitters are up.

I would rather see the players who can steal bases batting in the 6th, 7th, and 8th spot of the lineup. A leadoff hitter who can steal is a plus but is not something you absolutely need at the leadoff spot. Your #3 and #4 hitter more than likely will be able to hit that player home with them standing on 1B. Going from 1B to 2B shouldn't increase the odds of a leadoff hitter scoring with a teams #3 and #4 hitter at the plate.

Your #3 and #4 hitter more than likely will be able to hit that player home with them standing on 1B. Going from 1B to 2B shouldn't increase the odds of a leadoff hitter scoring with a teams #3 and #4 hitter at the plate.

I don't think you would find many who would agree the #3 or 4 hitter would not have any more RBI with a runner on second than first. Even cleanup hitters hit more singles than extra base hits. The key is the caught stealing rate not who is up next IMHO.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Your #3 and #4 hitter more than likely will be able to hit that player home with them standing on 1B. Going from 1B to 2B shouldn't increase the odds of a leadoff hitter scoring with a teams #3 and #4 hitter at the plate.

I don't think you would find many who would agree the #3 or 4 hitter would not have any more RBI with a runner on second than first. Even cleanup hitters hit more singles than extra base hits. The key is the caught stealing rate not who is up next IMHO.

Obviously, but is the stolen base really worth the risk in front of Braun/Fielder.

Yeah, but you can't figure on either them hitting a home run every other time up. What about just putting your guy in scoring position? A stolen base can do that.

I just think Macha is not a very aggressive manager in general, and the lack of steal attempts is reflective of that.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

First you need guys who can run. With Weeks and Hart not in the lineup, who would you want running?

Escobar definitely.

Lopez, I believe still has that leg issue.

Cameron, maybe. But I don't believe he's ever been a big base stealer.

Braun is probably the only other one, and we know why they don't want him giving up outs on the bases.

There isn't anyone else playing everyday on the team right now I would want to run.

A caught stealing with the pitcher or #8 hitter up won't hurt you as much as being caught stealing when your #3, #4, and #5 hitters are up.
I don't want a guy making the 3rd out attempting to steal with the pitcher up, that would mean having the pitcher lead off the next inning. OTOH, if it would only be the 1st or 2nd out, then the pitcher would usually be bunting, so why steal?

Was it a team wide green light or just certain players? I agree certain players should have a green light based on how well they have stolen bases in the past. It just seems like this year, they tried to steal bases early, had a few bad games and gave up trying.

I hate the hit and run. It looks really stupid when you see Casey McGehee getting caught stealing. I can see trying a hit and run with a guy who has a decent chance to steal a base.

I have no real basis for my feeling, but I feel Macha is to controlling of the running game. Of course it could be Yost was more controlling and Macha is letting the guys play. We were 108SB/38CS last year. 52SB/29CS this year. Our SB leader is Braun. He is a little over breaking even on SB(14/5). Next is Hart , again just a bit over breaking even(9/4). Our SB/CS rate is horrible.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I am coming less of a fan of Macha, Macha did not approve of the celebration they had on Sunday. My hope is that he is fired at the end of the season. We all know Braun has a lot of pull with upper managment that if he is not happy with Macha, a chance could happen.

I am liking the idea of firing Macha right after the last game of the season more and more. It would give the fan base something to discuss, and show that ownership is not going to be complacent. Go hire Bobby Valentine or someone similar who will think outside the box a bit.

I don't know if you can say that he's lost this team, but I don't think there is a respect factor Macha. I don't know if they are one in the same but I am sure there has been some questioning among players and the other coachs as to how he's handled players in various ways(Gamel, Escobar, Hardy, Hall, Kendall) and how he's handled "game" situations as far as backing his team or having their backs. I'm not a guy who thinks a manager needs to have "the fire" cause that's something casual fans believe in, but a manager needs to show some emotion during a season. When things have been going poorly for the Brewers or they get screwed by a bad call, Macha just seems to sit there and say "well, that's the way it goes, there's nothing we can do."

I just don't know if he was a good choice for this particular Brewers team and I wouldn't be sad to see him gone after this year. Man, my 1st post and I've rambled on 4ever...sorry!

My bigger issue has been with Macha refusing to sac bunt with no outs, runner on first, a weak hitter in the plate, and the game tied (or down 1) in the 9th or extra frames. His refusal to sac bunt is what made me decide he's a poor manager, as this happened repeatedly in early June when the Crew was moving into their skid. I'll be the first to admit I was a big Yost fan. I liked that he let his players play, he stood up for them, and he wanted them to use their skills. He didn't run the bad runners, didn't overuse the bunt, and didn't force players to play his style. I miss Ned's fire, as Macha seems asleep most games and doesn't stand up for his players.

Macha is a joke manager - and all the naysayers from last year who said "how much worse could Yost's replacement be?" have found out in the worst way. Unfortunately the only way we get rid of Macha is if Melvin gets canned too, which I wouldn't want. At least Yost stuck up for his guys. What does Macha's opinion of the HR celebration from Sunday relate to his players? "Hey, I'm with you, but I'm not actually WITH you"...

Today I am going to officially join the chorus of people who think Ken Macha needs to go. I do feel bad that he hasn't been given much to work with on the pitching staff. However, I still have several complaints.

First of all, I am so sick of him letting Jason Kendall hit whenever the game is on the line. It frustrates the heck out of me. Second, it does seem like Macha is not always on the same page as his players. I have noticed that many times this season. Third, I do think there were times this season where his inability to call for a bunt has really hurt the team. Fourth, Ken Macha is incredibly DULL and BORING when it comes to presenting himself. The man has no charisma at all. He shows no emotion and doesn't seem to reflect what the fans are feeling. I know his personality and emotional expressiveness have nothing to do with his ability to manage a baseball team, but in terms of marketing and public perception, he just doesn't seem like someone who makes a good public face for the franchise. Sometimes in business, you need to sell your product and sell an image . . and Macha doesn't seem like the type of person who gets anyone in the fan base excited.

Now just to be clear, I can not stand Ned Yost and have NO regrets about him being fired. I will never ever forgive Yost for costing us a division title in 2007. He was the most incompetent manager in Brewers history, and he should have been fired immediately after the 2007 season. I still believe to this day that he was secretely on the Cubs payroll and was trying to make the Brewers lose.

Anyway, I say give either Willie Randolph or Dale Sveum a shot at managing in 2010 (unless there is a really attractive outside candidate somewhere).

I for one like Macha as a personality--steady as she goes; he hasn't made me cringe once this year, which is a change from the last few years.

I also believe that Kendall batting in key situations and a few non-bunt calls here and there did not create this crummy season and as such aren't fireable offenses. Now, not being on the "same page" with his players may be, but I get the feeling that if there is a schism (as it were), it's something we might not be entirely aware of--there's a lot of amateur Freuds regarding this topic, it seems.

Edit: I do agree that I'd really like to see Randolph back next year, although I think the only way that happens is if Macha is let go. I just don't see it; I think there were too many variables out of Macha's control to make him the scapegoat.

Archived