Brewer Fanatic

2010 Brewers SGA Bobbles:

TURBO
The only thing I could think of to do that, is to give out little models of Miller Park. Which might just turn out lame. I know they gave out the snow globes in the past, and you can buy models of Miller Park at Jeff's, I'm not sure if they would do that, since the stadium isn't really "new" anymore.

Man, I hate the alternates, I wish they would just stop that business all together...

What is the point really, it doesn't benefit the brewers financially, just makes the fans act stupid and spend money on ebay...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

fans like you and me turbo?
*laughing*

actually, the only alternates I have I personally got at the games, I don't try to collect them all, not gonna fall for that... I collect all the commons, but the alternates, to me, are just a bonus, and I don't feel I need to get them.

I have a 2008 Prince, 2009 Hoffman, and a Fingers alternate, that's it...

The alternates are what fuels their ticket sales in my opinion. It is a bit like gambling. If you watch people enter the stadium, the first thing they do is pop the boxes open to check to see if they got one. Then they "high five" each other, etc in celebration. It is a marketing teams dream.

Well, are you saying that they wouldn't sell out bobble games without the alternates?

I think they would still sell out those games, regardless...

I'm not saying they don't generate fan interest, that is obvious, but I don't think that providing alternates helps them financially in any way. Those tickets are going to sell with or without the alternate bobbles in my opinion.

This year the Brewers had two games that sold out in which there was no alternate version of the bobble...the Ryan Braun and the Doug Melvin bobblehead games. I say the Braun game because no one knew about the alternate talking version until a day or two before the game. Some people may have thought (and many did) that there would be an alternate version, though, which didn't make sense due to the reason behind the bobble's pose. So this isn't a very good example.

The Melvin game, though, definitely had no alternate version and it still sold out. I find it laughable that re-sellers of the bobbles (who caused the game to sell out so early) got stuck with tickets that they couldn't even get 50 cents for on StubHub. I couldn't believe my eyes...50 CENTS!!! And they didn't sell! Maybe those of us who don't buy tickets on opening day for the bobblehead games will actually have a chance to purchase them later from the ticket office (when we know we can make the game and not 4 months prior) and not grossly marked up on eBay or StubHub. But I digress...

My two cents for next year's bobbles would be to continue the alternates since they are fun. We can mix it up a bit and have another pinstripe/powder blue combo or even bring out another 70's uniform. We all are hoping for something special for the 40th season, but I hope it isn't another fiasco like we saw two years ago with a bobblehead every Friday night! Five or six is enough in a season. It would be neat to see one in every different uniform the Brewers have had, which I think is 6 (and I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong.) Add in the Fielder Derby winner and the Racing Italian and we are up to 8! We'll see what happens.

I was going on the notion that a lot of tickets were sold for the game but third parties weren't able to sell them due to a loss of interest. There were a lot of purchased tickets that went without filling a seat.
Yeah, but the seats don't have to be occupied to count toward attendance; the tickets only have to be sold. That's why Cory says "xx,xxx paid to see it" (as did Jim Powell before him).

I wasn't surprised by the number of empty seats Sunday, given the Packer game and the Brewers' relative fortunes, but I was surprised that so many tickets went unsold, period.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

My point is that the alternative version of bobbles generates interest and in some way, shape of form ends up generating more income for them. I have always purchased a couple of extra tickets hoping to get one and then I treat some family members or friends to the game. If there were no alternative bobbles, then I wouldn't do that.

My guess is (only a guess) is that the company that produces them has their "lowest price" at a production run of 5000 bobbles. So for the Brewers to order roughly 40,000 "regular" and 5,000 "retro" they all cost the same. So, for the Brewers, there is no additional cost to hand out a limited edition, but the fans all get excited about them, so they gain in that way.

I may be totally off, but if I were their marketing director and I saw people pop their boxes as soon as they walk into the ball park and then get excited about something they got for free, I would be thrilled knowing I did my job well. Well it may drive collectors crazy (me included, I have spent thousands of dollars on Brewer bobbles over the last decade) it gets people excited and out to their games which is their goal.

Bobbles don't always need to have an alternate version to sell out the ball park (Braun sold out, Melvin not even close), but it sure doesn't hurt!

If they do continue the alternates next year (which I'm sure they will), I don't wanna see a retro again, unless it's a retro player. Can we go back to the white or gray jersey regular, with the navy alternate? Mix it up a bit, Not all the alternates have to be retro jersey. Mix it up a bit.

If they have a Prince derby one, do you think they'll have him in a batting stance for one, and the alternate is him untucked holding a trophy? It wouldn's surprise me, but it'd be silly.

If they have a Prince derby one, do you think they'll have him in a batting stance for one, and the alternate is him untucked holding a trophy? It wouldn's surprise me, but it'd be silly.
I suspect that having the alternate version of a bobblehead in a different pose would cost more than just a different uniform. So clever idea, but it doesn't seem likely.

Prince holding the trophy would be a nice pose for a HR Derby bobble, if the Brewers decide to do one. Make sure he's wearing the red NL jersey, and offer it during a Cardinals series.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• 2 weeks later...
My guess is they might do a "mystery bobble" for the last one of the year, and then have it be a 600 saves Trevor Hoffman bobble. Doubt you want to advertise a 600 save bobble before he gets them in case he gets hurt and it doesn't happen..........

$151 for the High Life bobblehead?!? It is that hard to find?

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

They were given out to a few bars and Miller employees. I bought one from a guy on Craigslist who works for Miller, but I had no idea they were worth that much.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Archived