Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Call Up John Axford

crewcrazy

From the THwitter:

Haudricourt Brewers call up reliever John Axford from Class AAA Nashville. He pitched at three levels this year and went 9-1 with a 2.77 ERA in 45 games

10 minutes ago from web

Talk about a quick ascension through the system this year. Hopefully he gets a chance to work his way into next year's bullpen this September. It'd be great to start producing some of our own (cheap) bullpen arms so DM can allocate money elsewhere.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I feel really bad for Adam Heether. Guy deserves a shot.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Heether looks like he has done well in AAA this year, but might be another Casey McGehee type who is having a peak year as an older AAA player. Where would you play him if you're calling up Gamel as well?

I dunno. But he still deserves a shot somewhere. Plus he can play pretty much every position on the diamond (I think he played everything but pitcher and catcher). He deserves a shot at a utility role on someone's bench.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm excited to see Axford, his fastball touches the high 90s.

Heether is twice the hitter Bourgeois is, and should be playing RF in front of him. With no call-up. it looks like Heether's Brewers connection is over. If they were going to add him to the 40 this offseason, he'd been added and called up now. Good luck to him in the future.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

What really saddens me is the fact that Corey Patterson is taking up a 40-man spot while Heether is on the verge of heading out the door. Makes no sense to me.

Patterson getting even one start at leadoff for the Brewers is embarrassing, IMO.

Heether looks like he has done well in AAA this year, but might be another Casey McGehee type who is having a peak year as an older AAA player. Where would you play him if you're calling up Gamel as well?

He might be, but he might be a Casey McGehee type who could do what Casey McGehee is doing this season. He can play third, second, or short, and he'd be a perfect bench player for next season. I really think that if he doesn't get called up that Melvin dropped the ball. I mean, really, what does it hurt? The team is not making the playoffs. Are they worried about having to pay him? He deserves a shot at the very the least to come up and pinch hit a few times over the final few weeks.

I was kind of perplexed that he didn't get into tonight's game, what with Parra leaving after one. Instead of using Coffey in the 5th and 6th, why not try Axford there? Or earlier?

Yeah, this is IGT material, but it also applies in this thread.

Maybe he'll make his first appearance in Phoenix and I can applaud him making his MLB debut in person.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I was kind of perplexed that he didn't get into tonight's game, what with Parra leaving after one. Instead of using Coffey in the 5th and 6th, why not try Axford there? Or earlier?
I was actually very happy to see Coffey used that early. It might have been the most critical point in the entire game, so it made sense to use one of your best pitchers. I was screaming for anyone but Vargas in the 8th though, at least after he loaded the bases.

It took 16 replies for someone to say something in the terms of "I can't wait to see his strike outs, so Miller Park walls flash up "GIVE HIM THE AX!"
I wonder what the "Show you your seat" guy behind the visitors dugout will come up with... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Needless to say, with a kid who looks rather low ceiling, and who started the year in A ball, his first couple appearances should probably come in lopsided affairs.
Why does he have a low ceiling? He throws hard, he has a good breaking ball, he needs to work on his control a little, but that can be fixed. And why does he need to come in in lopsided games? It's not like we're in a playoff race here. It shouldn't matter when he comes in.

Some of the stuff you've been saying lately has been really weird. Axford has a low ceiling. Calling Kendall a defensive whiz who has a .350 OBP etc.

He's 26, right? He's likely at his peak, and he was far from dominant in AAA (3.50 ERA in relief, never facing the same guy twice). I see him as low ceiling, just like Dillard, and most other AAA arms. That's why I was hoping Butler was the guy, as he looks to have far more potential.

He's 26, right? He's likely at his peak, and he was far from dominant in AAA (3.50 ERA in relief, never facing the same guy twice). I see him as low ceiling, just like Dillard, and most other AAA arms. That's why I was hoping Butler was the guy, as he looks to have far more potential.

You selectively point to his ERA which isn't remarkable to back up your argument, but in fact his 37 K's and just 23 Hits allowed in 33 innings show he handled AAA hitters pretty well. He's got a chance to be a decent big league reliever if he gets that opportunity. Brewers have several guys in that category on the roster right now. Chris Smith and Chris Narveson haven't been all that bad. All those guys need to get some looks now. They will be some of the guys fighting over the 11th and 12th pitcher spots next spring.

Let's not forget that Doug Henry came up to the big leagues for the first time at age 27 and ended up being a pretty effective closer for a year and a half.

Needless to say, with a kid who looks rather low ceiling, and who started the year in A ball, his first couple appearances should probably come in lopsided affairs.

Guys who throw 97 don't have low ceilings. Also, as I've said before, guys who have Tommy John Surgery should have an * by their age, as their age nl longer suggests their baseball experience. Axford is 26*, not 26.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived