Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training Trips 2010

ewizabeff
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife and I did that last year with a couple of friends. The 26 hour estimate sounds about right. We went from Platteville to Flagstaff, stayed there, and then drove to Phoenix the next day.

We drove straight through, only stopping for food and bathroom breaks. It's a fun trip, but it stinks if you have trouble sleeping in your vehicle. If I were to do it again, I'd like to take a couple days to make the drive and plan some stops in between.

Two days away until me and my pops are down there for 10 days. Ill be posting pics on the website from my camera a couple different times but Ill also throw some up on my facebook site from my phone while im at the games. If anyone is interested in checking those out just message me with your account info and ill add you as a friend. Later yall and if anyone has any questions be sure to shoot em my way.

Arrived in Phoenix last night, first game is today. It just stopped raining recently, and it probably won't get about 60 today.....but we should see some baseball! I'm hoping the giveaway bananza that was scheduled for yesterday ends up being tomorrow.

We just got back from an 8 day venture down to Maryvale, and had great weather and a great time! We attended 2 games, all their full practices, and watched 1 minor league practice. Just a couple of my observations... It is extremely fun to watch Weeks take batting practice. He hits the ball hard every time... so hopefully that means his wrist is health and will be back to his form last year. Secondly, if Brett Lawrie doesn't work out at second, he has a future in the outfield. He was in center field during batting practice, and he looked like a natural out there. He seemed to be going 100% and looked VERY comfortable. He was making good breaks on the ball, taking good angles, and just looked comfortable out there. I don't know if he'll ever get moved out there, but just an observation! And lastly, Prince's son is such a cutie. He'd come to practice with his Brewers shirt and blue jeans, but would have batting gloves in his back pocket, a batting helmet, and his own glove and bat. The one day Prince was throwing him BP in the batting cages, and he was pretty impressive for a 4-5 year old. Is it too early to start asking him for an autograph?!

The giveaway bananza was rescheduled for today......but it consisted only of Kendall bobbleheads. yay? 3,034 people paid to see the game but I don't think they all made it in.

It was 53 degrees at game time, and my little brother called to say that It was 56 in Appleton. Even though it was cold, the game was fun. Edmonds looks great out in center field (great arm, good hustle) and so does Gomez (incredible range). Gamel did pretty well at 3rd before he came out with shoulder soreness. Parra's numbers looked good, but his pitching didn't look that great. Juan Sandoval came in for a batter or two after Bush went out. According to Wikipedia he's blind in one eye. wow.

Stuff I noticed today:

-I made my way to a the minor league workout field to the left of the main gate (didn't know about this one before) - we watched Jeffress and a few other pitchers throw from just a few feet away. Couldn't get near the batty cages though.

-There's another entrance to the park on the left-field side - looks like some folks park on the street over there to avoid paying for parking.

-The Iceman made the trip down for spring training and is super happy to see folks from Milwaukee.

The giveaway bananza was rescheduled for today......but it consisted only of Kendall bobbleheads. yay?
Then that's not really a bonanza. They might just as well have called it a Kendall bobblehead giveaway.

There has to be some way to pose those extra Kendalls in a TMZ-esque diorama.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Leaving tomorrow...wish we could have had better weather for the last two days. This is our 8th or 9th year down here and Sunday was the first time we had a game rained out on us (the first year we were here - 2002? - there was a game rained out at Oakland's field, but it got moved to Maryvale).

The crowds (especially Brewer fans) have gotten much bigger since our first year here. I was really impressed at the number of Brewer fans at the road games against SF and Oakland. In fact the Brewer fans at the Oakland game broke in to a rousing rendition of Roll out the Barrel during the 7th inning stretch.

We were sitting right in front of the Brewer bullpen during the Oakland game. Rodgers was so nervous before he entered the game. He was throwing a lot of wild pitches during his bullpen session.

Braun signed a lot of autographs at the Oakland game. Something we have never seen at past ST games we have been to.

I think The Ice Man goes down to ST every year. Not sure if he down there during the entire ST, but we have seen him there for the last 3 or 4 year.

My dad called me three times today to tell us he saw us on TV. The last time was during the 7th inning stretch I guess as we were standing and "swaying" to Roll out the Barrel. So, if anyone was watching the game today and saw that...that was me and my family.

If you are looking for a fun place to eat while at ST...try Oregano's (spelling?) in Scottsdale. Fun Italian restaurant that focuses on pizza..would be really fun with a group of people.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

i'll be heading down to spring training next week and i have a question i haven't seen an answer for:

is there danger of games selling out? if not at maryvale, are other teams' stadiums a tough ticket?

my bothers and i are deliberating and can't get it sorted. appreciate any help on this.

weekend games at any park have a danger of selling out, especially later in the season. I've seen midweek games sell out in Scottsdale (Giants), Mesa (Cubs), and Tempe Diablo Stadium (Angels).

Does that help?

Will be in AZ 13th-28th. Last year was the first year the Ice Man was there. I wasnt happy to hear his tired routine. Then i had a glimmer of hope that he had actually retired and wouldnt be at miller park for the regular season. I of course was wrong.

Last year was the first year the Ice Man was there.

Really?? I thought we have seen them down there several years now, but my memory is not great.

I think Ewizabeff referred to this in a previous post, but it's worth repeating. If you go down there and would like to get a game at Maryvale early and wonder around the complex (watch some of the prospects work out), you can access the practice diamonds by going left of the main entrance to the main diamond. There gate is usually open, however it has the feeling like you are entering an area that you are not allowed to enter....but you are.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Anyone have any Grapefruit League info they could share? I'll be in Ft. Myers next week for spring break, and being a Brewers fan I only just realized that the Twins and Red Sox play in Fort Myers..... I'm guessing Red Sox tickets are harder to get just because they're more popular.... but does anyone have any tips at all?

Hey guys. Having a great time in Arizona so far.

One minor nitpick...we haven't had much luck getting any Brewers to sign. We got close to getting Coffey and Fielder earlier in the week, but just missed both of them. My wife got a couple Mariners to sign yesterday, which was cool. I'd like to get her at least one Brewers autograph on her baseball before we leave on Saturday. We have tickets to the Brewers/Dodgers game on Thursday. Would it be worth it to make a trip to Maryvale early in the morning before the game (where I assume they'll be practicing?). Or just go to the Dodgers' park a couple hours before game time and hope we can catch the guys somewhere around the park? Thanks.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Invader3K wrote:

One minor nitpick...we haven't had much luck getting any Brewers to sign. We got close to getting Coffey and Fielder earlier in the week, but just missed both of them. My wife got a couple Mariners to sign yesterday, which was cool. I'd like to get her at least one Brewers autograph on her baseball before we leave on Saturday. We have tickets to the Brewers/Dodgers game on Thursday. Would it be worth it to make a trip to Maryvale early in the morning before the game (where I assume they'll be practicing?). Or just go to the Dodgers' park a couple hours before game time and hope we can catch the guys somewhere around the park? Thanks.

yes, get to the facility and the practice fields early to get some signatures. also, if the brewers are playing a night game, go to maryvale in the afternoon because the guys who are scheduled to play that night will be taking batting practice and you can just wander the stadium unabated. we stumbled into this great opportunity before the brewers nightcap against the rangers.

speaking of my spring training trip, click here to see a fairly large set of photos, including game and practice shots and a few of aroldis chapman in his green st. pat's day hat.

yeah, it's generally easier to get the brewers to autograph before a game at a visiting ballpark. when you get there, ask the ushers where the best place to get visiting autographs is. You can also watch for the moment the starters exit the game and get their autograph then. That's how sgtcluels got Gabe Gross's autograph when the A's were at Maryvale.

Thanks again for the tips. We managed to get Adam Stern and Corey Hart on her ball yesterday, so she was happy. Almost got Carlos Gomez, but he got distracted by a visitor on the field...one Moises Alou!

Have had a great time. I will try to post thoughts on spring training and some pics, probably in a couple days. We are taking the day to do some sight seeing up in Sedona, and then flying back to Milwaukee tomorrow morning. Has been a very nice vacation, and I'd encourage any baseball fan to try and make it down here for ST some time, if you can at all.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived