Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training Trips 2010

ewizabeff

jjkoestler-

I buy my tickets early for the weekend games, as those have more of a tendency to sell out as well. All the games I've ever attended in Scottsdale (Giants) have been sellouts or near-sellouts, so it's a good idea to buy early there as well. The Angels games I've been too have been pretty full, and sold out on the weekends. And of course, buy early for Cubs games. Weekday games at Maryvale shouldn't be an issue though.

That being said, I buy early for almost every game, because I prefer to sit in the shade. Most Spring Training parks only have a couple of rows that offer shade, and they can go quickly.

I think a lot of the other questions you asked can be answered by reading the previous page of this thread.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you would have trouble buying tickets the day of the game for any Brewers home games, but all the other teams might be a little trouble. There are always scalpers just like at Miller Park though.

I like the Angels park a lot, but it is pretty small and usually sold out.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you flying from Milwaukee, it looks like the only airlines that offer non-stop flights from MKE to Phoenix are Midwest, Airtran, US Airways, and Southwest. All airlines except Southwest have fairs available now for most of spring training. Southwest will release the rest of its March schedule on October 13.

Right now, if you don't mind connecting flights (which I hate), you can get a round-trip ticket for less than $250.

Just booked our tickets on Southwest (tickets were released today for our travel dates). We've got 2 round-trip, non-stop tickets from Milwaukee to Phoenix for less than $450. Considering that's what one ticket would have cost last time I went (2008) I'll take it.

When we booked our flights a few weeks ago, it appeared to me that Southwest does not have an agreement with any of the travel sites (Orbits, Travelocity, Expedia, etc). I had to go to SW's site and book the flight seperately. Wonder why this is?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

When we booked our flights a few weeks ago, it appeared to me that Southwest does not have an agreement with any of the travel sites (Orbits, Travelocity, Expedia, etc). I had to go to SW's site and book the flight seperately. Wonder why this is?

I noticed the same thing. They don't show up on a kayak.com search either, which is what I prefer. Maybe that helps them keep their prices lower? Just booked our rental car using my parents' credit card miles (they're sharing the house with us). So, take that expensive rental cars!

• 1 month later...

Brewers Enterprises is offering a Spring Training package - the Brewers Roadcrew - if you don't want to go to the trouble of planning your own trip. Our trip will be longer, and much cheaper....but this might be a good deal for new folks that don't know the ins and outs of spring training.

Link

ewizabeff[/b]]Brewers Enterprises is offering a Spring Training package - the Brewers Roadcrew - if you don't want to go to the trouble of planning your own trip. Our trip will be longer, and much cheaper....but this might be a good deal for new folks that don't know the ins and outs of spring training.

Link

Out of curiousity, I went to Orbitz and tried to book this same package to see what the cost would be. I'm assuming I have the same hotel (Embassy Suites - Biltmore on Camelback Rd.). Midwest Express did not show up as an option. However, non-stop using airtran the cost for 2 for March 10-14 would be $1,478 vs. $3,695 through the Brewer's package. So, unless you think all the "extras" that the you get with the Brewer's package is worth $2,217, I would suggest booking your own package. This took about 5 minutes of my time. Really not that hard to do.

Even if I don't have the exact same hotel that is in the package, there are plenty of other nice resorts that you could go to for far less money. Like ewizabeff, the ST trip that my family planned was for longer (6 nights) and cheaper. There are 3 of us and we are staying at a golf resort. The total price was less than $1,900 (hotel and flight). The Brewer package would cost $5,545 for 3 people (for 4 days!). Yikes!

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I guess I was thinking this way you don't really have to rent a car or find your way around the Phoenix area (although it's pretty simple to get around). You also have built in social activities every night with baseball fans in the hotel.

Again, not for me....and I do wonder if they'll sell it out in this economy.

If I had more money lying around and those dates worked for me, I'd consider it. There are some nice extras in that package, including tickets to Opening Day.

I'm still trying to plan our trip for the final week in March...basically having trouble finding a hotel that isn't going to destroy our budget staying out there for a week.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Going to be looking at a long term stay hotel...I can get a discount through a connection I have, but I can only book it less than 90 days out to get the discount.

Booked the flight today, and got a pretty good rate through Southwest (only downside there is a change over in Las Vegas both ways). I also got a great deal on a Budget car rental by using the reward points on my credit card. Only going to end up paying about $20 for a week long car rental. We'll be down there March 20th-27th. I know a lot of you are going earlier in the month, but if anyone is going to be around during that time frame, I would love to meet up.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• 2 weeks later...
Tickets for Maryvale went on sale today. We called our order in so we could be sure to get seats that are mostly in the shade. Something interesting: Parking is $5 in advance, $6 in the lot. But you're charged $1 convenience fee when you buy parking in advance. Geez...

• 3 weeks later...

There seems to be quite a few spring training experts on here, so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with this. We've been down to spring training many times, but are thinking about going really early this year. Last time we were down there my dad really liked sitting and watching the minor leaguers practice, so he wanted to head down there this year a couple days before the games started so we could watch the Brewers practice. My main question is, are you able to watch the Brewers practice or is it fenced off? And if so, where do they practice?

I'm also wondering the same thing for the other teams in the cactus league: Do you have access to watch them practice? And if so, do they practice right at their stadium?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me!

The Brewers minor league complex is fenced off, and much of it is lined with green plastic. However, there are holes cut in the plastic that you can hold up and look through. Some areas are visible through just chain link fence. The minor league practice area is just across the parking lot from the major league park.

I've seen picture of fans back by the fields, but I've never figured out how they got there. Has anyone else figured that out?

I'd be really surprised if you don't have access to the minor or major league fields during February. We often go to ST games about 2 or 3 hours before game time and have full access to the minor league fields. You literally walk among the players as them move from field to field. There is a gate near the parking lot that sometimes is open and sometimes is closed. If it's closed you walk up towards the main diamond and then go left. You can access the practice fields from there. The only field that is usually not accessible is the small infield practice diamond that is located just to the east of the main diamond. There may also be a diamond behind that one that is closed to the fans.

There was a poster on brewerfan a couple of years ago that posted some really great pictures of the Brewers practicing in February. I believe this poster lived or went to school in AZ. He was obviously able to get very close access to the Brewer players in early ST.

• 2 weeks later...

Flosses like Fossass posted this in the Off Topic Forum, can anyone help here?

heading down to spring training for the first time with my dad and brothers. can anybody help me out with some hotel recommendations? here's what we're looking for:

- outdoor pool

- affordable - $120 max, preferably less (need two double beds per room)

- decent proximity to the city (stadiums), we won't mind a 30 minute commute or so

- walkable to a bar would be a plus

any help you have would be great. we've begun our own search, but first-hand accounts are best. thanks in advance.

The one thing that we learned when we went was that there are no short commutes to the stadiums. We stayed at the Cottonwoods Resort in Scottsdale. Would definitely go back again. More of a suite concept. We booked through Travelocity, and I believe we payed around $700 each (3 of us) for one week there, flight from Milwaukee (Direct), and we rented a Toyota 4Runner. They had shuttles to the bars, and it was only like a $10 cab ride back to the hotel if the shuttle was down. We had 2 queen beds, seperate living room with pull out couch, private jacuzzi (although you would have a hard time fitting more than 2 people in it), but they had a huge pool/bar area, tennis courts, really close to golf courses, and some nice restraunts (definitely go to Blanco Taco if your in the area) within walking distance. We also had a great view of the mountains right out our back door. The staff was very helpful in finding nightlife, giving us info about different spring training facilities, etc. Definitely check out Camelback Ranch, I believe that's where the Dodgers and White Sox play. Very cool stadium, and the one in Glendale is very cool, but I forget who plays there, believe it is the Reds and someone else. I would definitely stay there again.

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE DOWN THERE!!! There drunk driving laws down there are very strict. My buddy who lives down there got a DUI pulling into his apartment complex. Minimum 10 day in "Tent City" which is there version of Huber I believe.

• 1 month later...

Archived