Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training Trips 2010

ewizabeff
Since the Brewers are down to a .1% chance of making the playoffs, I'm shifting my thoughts from playoff deposits to Spring Training travel. Anyone plan on going down to Phoenix this year? SgtClueLs and I will be there March 7-13. We got a pretty sweet deal on a house in Tempe for the week. Just waiting for Southwest to announce it's fairs from Milwaukee so we can comparison shop. We're excited to go early during training so we can have better chances at getting autographs.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
really wanted to for next year since i've never been, but am in school for March. but it's nice that i'll almost always have the opportunity since my folks have a vacation house in Scottsdale, and it's a really short drive to Maryvale. (Brewers better not switch to Florida!)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all. I'm also toying with the idea of going to Spring Training next year...would probably look towards late March when the wife is on spring break. I have never been before (haven't even been to Arizona previously), so is there any good place to start looking for info? I don't know anyone down there so we'd almost certainly be looking for hotel deals, etc. Thanks in advance.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If you're looking this early, I'd recommend looking into a condo for vacation rental. It's usually cheaper than a hotel and provides you with a kitchen so you can cook your own food to cut down on costs if you want. In 2008 I rented a 2 bedroom condo in Mesa for a week with my parents for $650, cleaning fee included. I usually use www.homeaway.com, which allows you to search for properties but you can contact the owners directly.

The first year I went Dad and I stayed in an extended stay hotel in Mesa - also not a bad idea b/c we got a kitchen.

The important thing to know is the Phoenix area is huge. It doesn't matter if you stay in Tempe, Phoenix, Maryvale, Glendale, Peoria, or Scottsdale - they're all close enough to drive to the parks. Most days you'll be driving 20-45 minutes to a game no matter where you stay.

Also, if you search "spring training" in this forum, you'll probably see a bunch of great tips from past years.

For those of you flying from Milwaukee, I'm pretty confident Southwest Airlines will have some pretty good rates, but they don't start Milwaukee service until November. Right now you can only purchase flights through March 12, 2010.

I've been researching fares for the last couple of weeks for our annual trip to Spring Training (usually book flight and lodging together on one of the travel sites). I saw all the news on SW Airlines and how much fare competition there will be. I don't see SW flights showing up in my searches. I then went to the SW web site. It appears that they will have 4 flights between Milwaukee and Phoenix, but as of right now only one is non-stop and the non-stop flight is not at very good times (I like to leave early in the morning and return late at night). I always do a non-stop to Phoenix because the fares are not really that much more than the flights with stops.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I will be heading down there again in the spring. Probably fly out of Rockford again. Cheap, less hassle, a lot less people, free parking and no waiting. Plus Rockford flies to the Mesa airport rather than to the big one in Tempe. Only problem is they only have a few flights per week down to Phoenix.

Invader3K[/b]]Not sure what dates you're looking for, but I see Midwest is flying to Phoenix toward the end of the month. About $350 per person.

We usually go during the first week in March (avoid the spring break crowds). Currently, on Orbitz, non-stop roundtrip flights to Phoenix from Milwaukee (March 3rd to March 9th) are $238 per person ($197 with one stop).

I will be heading down there again in the spring. Probably fly out of Rockford again. Cheap, less hassle, a lot less people, free parking and no waiting. Plus Rockford flies to the Mesa airport rather than to the big one in Tempe. Only problem is they only have a few flights per week down to Phoenix.

Typed in Rockford, IL to Mesa, AZ in Orbitz. Did not recognize anything in Mesa AZ (I was not aware that there was an airport there either). Then, I typed in Rockford to Phoenix and it stated that no flights were available between these locations. Where do you go to book flights from Rockford to Phoenix?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Typed in Rockford, IL to Mesa, AZ in Orbitz. Did not recognize anything in Mesa AZ (I was not aware that there was an airport there either). Then, I typed in Rockford to Phoenix and it stated that no flights were available between these locations. Where do you go to book flights from Rockford to Phoenix?
It is the Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.

The Rockford site (www.flyrfd.com) does not have its spring flight schedule up yet, but you can book flights at www.allegiantair.com. Allegiant Air is your only option. It's nothing fancy, but it works for me. My trip, with all costs included, cost me around $350 this past spring but I believe it is cheaper if you book early. The only bad thing is that your choice of flights is pretty limited, so you'd have to be pretty flexible with your schedule. I stayed at my brother's house in Maricopa, used his car all week, and just went to games every day by myself. So it was cheap and as hassle-free as it could possibly be.

I've flown Allegiant from Rockford to Las Vegas before, and it was great. The flights are not fancy, like you said, but they are comfortable enough. Rockford Airport is also nice and about as hassle free as it gets for an airport.

Edit: One more question: Any idea when spring training will be wrapping up this year? I know MLB hasn't released next season's schedule yet, but I'd like to have a rough idea of when spring training is going to be ending. Thanks.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Thanks for the info DKM. I checked it out. The prices were not any different than what Southwest is offering out of Milwaukee for the time I'm looking for (and there is a bit more flexibility with SW).

Edit: One more question: Any idea when spring training will be wrapping up this year? I know MLB hasn't released next season's schedule yet, but I'd like to have a rough idea of when spring training is going to be ending. Thanks.

My guess is that the regular season will start on April 5th (actually April 4th if you count the Sunday night opener - also there is always the possibility of games being played in Japan the last week in March). They generally tend to play ST games all the way up to the Saturday or Sunday before the Monday opener, although sometimes they play those final ST weekend games at a ML ball park.

Just booked our flight. Early March - 3 people on SW airlines. Non - stop flights. Came out to about $215 per person. Thought that was pretty reasonable.

edit: Oh and, 2 free checked bags per individual.

Another place to look for condos/homes is vrbo.com - I've had success there.

Hopefully I'll be there, but my company likes to plan national meetings for the beginning of March, then push them back last minute to the end of March, coupled with the manager's meetings two weeks prior to the national meetings and my annual Tahoe trip at the end of Feb/beginning of March, and I can never seem to get there even though I'm quick flight from LA away. My aunt/uncle live in Tucson so I may stay with them and drive up. My buddies in Phoenix have kids now so staying with them isn't really a desirable option, so I may be in for sharing a place for a couple of nights in Mid-March depending on the meeting schedule.

Spring Training for the Brewers in AZ will almost definitely end on Wednesday, March 31st or Thursday, April 1st in 2010 (due to the Friday and Saturday exhibition games at Miller Park).
Are they doing exhibition games at MP next year? They don't do that every year. They didn't do it this year.

If you want to see games, I wouldn't go in February. The only reason there were any February games this year is because of the World Baseball Classic.
Not entirely true. There are some years (without the WBC) that Spring Training will start during the last week in Feb:

http://www.springtrainingmagazine.com/cactussched08.html

http://nowhitting.com/gameschedule/spring-training/7

They almost always start on a Thursday (last week of Feb or first week of March) and sometimes it just depends on how the days of the month align and the date of opening day (I think they like to start before March 4th or 5th). This year there is an odd number of teams in both the cactus league and grapefruit league which potentially means more open dates will need to be scheduled. This could possibly lead to an earlier start date.

Late, Middle, or Late March really depends on your individual preference. We always go in early March for several reasons including the fact that the crowds are lower and players seem to be more accesable. Also, because there is less demand in early March than in mid to late march, air fares and lodging tend to be a bit cheaper.

Some drawback to going in early March? If you are mainly interested in seeing the starters, there is more shuffling of the lineups in the early ST games. The starters tend to exit the games around the 5th inning and many don't attend the road games. Also the weather is not as stable in early March. Don't let anyone tell you that it's always 75 or 80 degrees in Sunny in Phoenix in early March. We have gone there for the last 8 years and trust me, it's not. You can get some fairly cool and cloudy days during that time of year.

Since the snow is already flying here I decided to head to AZ sometime between March 5-14 for my first spring training. A few questions regarding spring training:

1: When is the best time to go?

2: How accessible are the players to the public? Will I have a hard time getting autos, pictures, etc.?

3: Is a condo the best way to go? There will be 4 of us going.

4: Should I buy game tickets in advance?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

jjkoestler[/b]]Since the snow is already flying here I decided to head to AZ sometime between March 5-14 for my first spring training. A few questions regarding spring training:

1: When is the best time to go?

2: How accessible are the players to the public? Will I have a hard time getting autos, pictures, etc.?

3: Is a condo the best way to go? There will be 4 of us going.

4: Should I buy game tickets in advance?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

To answer your questions:

1: Read the previous 2 or 3 posts in front of yours

2: The players are much more accessible in ST than in the regular season. But, as I stated, probably more so in early March than in late March because the crowds are lighter in early march. The 2 best places to get autographs at Maryvale is along the 1st base line prior to games starting. Then, as players leave the game, go up to the concourse, next to the Fan Zone. That's where the entrance to the players locker rooms are. Sometimes you can just get lucky with days. One year, we were on the 1st base line and my son got just about every player's autograph. In other years, we have been on the fist base line and just about none of the players sign. It's almost as if they designate certain days among themselves when they will sign autographs. No matter when you go, you should be able to get plenty of great pictures. Another thing to do, with games at Maryvale, is get to the park early and head over to the practice fields.

3. Condo vs. Hotel. vs. Resort? Really depends on what you are looking for. If you are going with a bunch of friends and plan on going out each night and not spending a lot of time in the room, might as well stay at a Holiday Inn. If you plan on golfing, you might want to stay at a resort that offers some sort of golf package. Do you want a swimming pool? Do you want a fridge and stove? Washer/Dryer? I guess those would be questions you need to answer before making the decision where to stay. A good place for condo hunting, as someone is an earlier post mentions is www.vrbo.com . I also like www.tripadvisor.com for rating and reviews on hotels and resorts.

4. Most posters here will tell you no. No need to buy tickets in advance. For the most part this is true. However, there are some teams that are more popular than others. Cubs games, especially at their park, are normally pretty crowded. If the Brewers are playing at Ho Ho Kam when we are planning on going, I always buy tickets in advance. You can probably still get tickets at game time (especially in early March), but you will be waiting in line and may not sit where you want. We normally sit in the grass area of the outfield for most games. Most of the tickets are reasonably priced. However, I believe I was looking at the new Dodger facility prices last year and was somewhat shocked at the prices compared to the other parks. This is a good site for more information about Spring Training and the various parks: www.springtrainingonline.com

Archived