Brewer Fanatic

Casey McGehee and his future

Invader3K
I haven't examined BABIP, but is .330 with that stat really that outlandish? I wouldn't expect his power numbers to keep up as pitchers adjust to him, but he just seems like a very solid hitter in the way he approaches his ABs to me. He has also played pretty good defense this season (one of those things we don't know whether or not Gamel will do better at this point).
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.330 isn't to outlandish and McGehee may be able to maintain a BABIP in that range even with his lack of speed.

A NL 3B usually has an OPS in the .776-.800 range and I think McGehee can be at least that good.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

And until Gamel fills the Cerano size hole in his swing, I am very happy to have McGehee at 3rd. Since he is under control for 6 years, I say ride him until either Gamel explodes and cant be kept off the field or McGehee turns into Wes Helms.

You bring up a good point with him being under control for six years. If they are both young and cheap, it's not like the Brewers are under the gun to trade either one. If some team out there offers up a "can't say no" type offer for one, then fine. But if not, may as well keep both and see who sticks.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

McGehee only has 5 more years of control left, though thats still alot. Its awesome he keeps hitting. Scouts have to be impressed with him. Some organizations don't give didly squat for minor league stats. There will a few teams that will really want him. If they don't want to give up a quality young pitcher, then he'll be back here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I believe in production over perception. McGehee has been the third best offensive player on this team that last month or so. I would bet my non existent mortgage that Gamel would not be putting up those numbers with his pitch recognition problems.

just curious, why did we remove McGehee from the game and replace him with Counsell rather than Gamel? Does Macha even know that Gamel is on the team?

I don't think Macha realizes that Gamel is an actual player and not Don Money's son.

I think the fact that Counsell is an outstanding defensive player and Gamel is...not was the reason for that swap. Seriously, if Gamel had been used as a PR and defensive replacement in that situation, I would have questioned whether he had dementia.

That move was made for the same reason he brought in Hoffman rather than Axford to pitch the 9th...he's paid to win games, or at least set up the players he has to do so as best he can.

McGehee's been doing this long enough, that I'm at least curious to see if he's the real deal. Helps that he's versatile, not locked into a long term deal, and has defensive value.

I wouldn't necessarily be against exploring trade possibilities with Gamel. I like what Eric Young Jr. has done in the minors and you could play him in CF and spend Cameron's money elsewhere, as an example of a creative deal. Having talent is never a bad thing.

With that said, I'm not very pleased with Macha's handling of Gamel. You were playing a fellow non-contender, on the road, and you can't get a prospect like Gamel into a single game in a series? Is Macha so worried about this year's win total that he's willing to go into next year not knowing what he has and not giving Gamel a chance to get some big league experience?

Robert

At this point I am atleast tempted to roll the dice with McGehee as our starting 3rd basemen next year and see what we could get for Gamel in an offseason trade. Gamel would be a nice piece to offer in a trade for a SP. I don't expect McGehee to replicate this season and I am certianly not advocating signing him to a long term deal. But from what I have seen thus far he could be at least a league average 3rd basemen both offensively and defensively.

But then again there may be a desperate team this offseason looking for a 3rd basemen that has had some success. Melvin is going to have a make or break offseason with all these decisions he has to make.

It seems like people are pretty torn on whether they prefer Gamel or McGehee. And while I could just add my two cents on who I prefer and why, I'll just say this.

I have to imagine that either McGehee and Gamel can be had. Different teams are going to prefer one over the other and the team with the best player/package is going to get the guy they want.

Robert, I have to wonder what you feel will be gained by a handful of AB's the rest of the way...will they have a better idea what Mat is if he plays 12 games (50 PA's) or 5 games (22 PA's)? Considering he played a lot earlier this year when up, and all year in AAA, I just don't see 28 PA's making a difference.

As of now, McGehee's numbers are comparable to Braun and Fielder, which is truly incredible. I do not project him to that level in the future, but he's putting up better major league numbers than Gamel did in AAA. I'm no math major, but that makes the 2010 3B question moot from where I sit.

Considering both are very cheap, and McGehee can play 1B/2B/3B (and Gamel has the athletic ability to play 1B/LF/RF), I don't see either one going anywhere...small market teams need to maximize the pre-arby years, not trade a guy and keep someone (Rickie, Corey) who is arby eligible.

I have no problem with Macha playing McGehee over Gamel. McGehee deserves to be playing over Gamel right now. What I do not get is why they are not playing Gamel in RF to platoon with Hart. Yeah I know that is not Gamel's spot where he has played in the minors so what if it gets him playing time he should be playing wherever he can play. Gamel in RF would be fine with me since we are not playing for a playoff spot right now and making Gamel more valuable to the Brewers.

Gamel being able to play RF next year would help out the Brewers more than having him playing 3B next year. Yes McGehee can play all sorts of positions but with that knee surgery possible in the offseason that may limit McGehee's options of where he can play. While you have a young player in Gamel he can afford to move positions it is not like no one has ever been moved from a position they were at in the minors when they come up to the majors.

I am actually glad that the Brewers didn't call up Salome and other players because they just wouldn't get any playing time at all anyways. Gamel needs to be playing either that be in the OF, pinch hitter, or at 3rd base I don't care. Gamel needs to be playing right now and he should be playing wherever there is a spot open. With Hart just returning from a long period off playing Gamel against righties and sitting Hart would be the perfect option. So what if Gamel has some miscues in RF we are not playing for anything and it will give the Brewers a possibility to see if Gamel could play RF next year and if he can't you keep Hart and try to trade either Gamel or McGehee whoever brings the best player back you trade and keep the other.

It seems as though several posters think it's a given that Casey's stats will decline. Don't forget it wasn't until last year that he changed his stance to a Pujols type wide stance. Not to imply by any stretch that he is in the same stratisphere as Pujols, but maybe he's onto something.

I have to imagine that either McGehee and Gamel can be had. Different teams are going to prefer one over the other and the team with the best player/package is going to get the guy they want.
I think that's the best way to approach this situation. The Brewers don't have the luxury of being too choosy in who they want to deal at this point. You take the deal that is going to give you the best return.

Though, as a counterpoint, I did hear the idea banded about on the radio today that perhaps Gamel could be transitioned to RF, since some scouts feel he could do well there. I think it might be worth examining if possible. So I guess I would say you trade Gamel, McGehee, or Hart...whoever gives you the best package in return.

How versatile is McGehee, though, really? Would he really be able to cover enough ground at 2B? He looks more like a corner guy, and hopefully he can pick up the corner OF spots too. I would much rather shift McGehee to RF or LF & have Gamel at 3B than the reverse. However, I still think McGehee will be dealt along with Hardy for pitching.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

From the reports I've read, he's basically been playing on one knee for half the year, which can't help his range.... even with that, he moves better than Lopez has as a Brewer.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Robert, I have to wonder what you feel will be gained by a handful of AB's the rest of the way...will they have a better idea what Mat is if he plays 12 games (50 PA's) or 5 games (22 PA's)? Considering he played a lot earlier this year when up, and all year in AAA, I just don't see 28 PA's making a difference.
See, I'm of the opinion that there's no use squandering opportunities. You have an opportunity to get Gamel some ABs against major league competition in a low pressure situation, why aren't you using them? Who knows how many ABs it will take Gamel to figure out MLB pitching? I don't, but I am interested in making sure that the transition takes as short a time as possible. A team with a window of contention needs to maximize its resources and make sure growing pains are as short as possible. Because for a contending team, even a single game can matter. A single game last year may have been the difference between Sabathia pitching on the last day of the season and Sabathia pitching on full rest to open the playoffs. Would it have made a difference? I can't say, but I'd have liked my chances better under the latter scenario.

In any event, there's no reason that Gerut or Bourgeois should be getting ABs when Gamel is available. They're no better. Use them as pinch runners and defensive replacements if you have to, but not as pinch hitters.

Robert

And, guys tend to hit a lot less when catching...that's yet another reason why catchers don't hit, or very few do. Catch 125 games and see how fresh you are.

Casey would probably have below average range at 2B, but half the 2B do. His sure hands would make him plenty passable, while not ideal. Think Mark Loretta, or Loretta at SS a decade ago.

Archived