Brewer Fanatic

Casey McGehee and his future

Invader3K

One of the enjoyable bright spots this season has been the surprising play of Casey McGehee, who of course was a waiver pick up from the Cubs. We all know he just had a tremendous series against the Cardinals, getting key hits off some tough pitching. He's currently hitting around .300 with an .870 OPS, in 264 ABs, all despite supposedly having some injury issues. Obviously he's had a great year, and will be 27 next season, so he should be entering his prime years.

The question is, what to do with him next season? Will the Brewers look at him to be their Opening Day third baseman, perhaps leaving Gamel in AAA to get some more seasoning under his belt? Is McGehee trade bait for another team? Or is there a possibility he'll be transitioned to 1B in the future when Prince Fielder is eventually traded?

Discuss.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe he's the odds on to be the Brewer starting 3B on opening day 2010. Gamel's year has to be considered a disappointment. He really hasn't hit since May and his strikeout rate at AAA is alarming. I don't think the Brewers will see him as ready to take over on a daily basis especially with the very productive McGehee around.

Some have suggested the Brewers would benefit by trading him. But he's not as zzmanwitz says "at his peak value". He's got a lot more value than he had to start the year, but one good season from a guy who was available on waivers a year ago isn't going to make teams willing to give up a ton of talent for him. Now were he to put together a full season with numbers close to what he's doing this year, and not only does his trade value skyrocket, but you're looking at a guy who as Invader3K suggests, could be Fielder's replacement at 1B in 2011.

What's impressive about McGehee is that he hits good pitching, rarely fishes for stuff that's off the plate and has handled his success with tons of maturity. He's clearly the biggest bright spot in an otherwise forgettable season.

Numerous teams with pitching to spare will need a 3B after this season, including Baltimore and Florida. McGehee is trade bait.

The problem however, is McGehee's pending knee surgery. It only needs a scope if I'm understanding the problem correctly, so hopefully that doesn't scare anyone off.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Don't trade him. He's not at peak value. Most GMs are savvy enough to know pitchers will make adjustments next year and Casey will likely struggle a bit. He's a 26 year old bench player having a great year. A rookie like that is going to net maybe a relief pitcher, or a similar type outfielder.

The only sort of trade I could see happening would be if the Brewers traded Hart or didn't re-sign Cameron. Then they might do some move like McGehee for McClouth or someone similar.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm detecting theme this year at BF.net: Finding the posers from the studs:

- Which did we see this year? The real Lopez, Hart, Hardy, Parra, McGehee or a mirage?

Which for a site filled with Arm-Chair-GMs (not a slam, I consider myself one), that is expected. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Since Casey never slugged like this in the minors, I've got to believe he will regress. That won't be a surprise to the Brewers or anyone else. But he is also succeeding where Gamel has not (why does this invoke thoughts of Flynn vs. Brohm from the Lambeauleap.net discussion?).

Personally, I don't see it as an A vs. B option. You have Weeks/Lopez at 2B, where some have said Lopez could play 3B (or Weeks?). You have Hart in RF, where some have pegged Gamel to be an OF anyway. Or you have Fielder at 1B, where Gamel could play (not my favorite option).

But at the end of the offseason, at least one of those players will be traded for pitching. And all of them are tradeable (Fielder is close to untradeable, but not quite).

I love what Casey's done this year, but he reminds me of Hall. Can't hit in the minors utility infielder who suddenly finds his stroke in the bigs? I expect a cliff in Casey's 3-year forcast. The question is whether the cliff comes next year or the year after.

And we don't need to convince 29 GMs that he will be great, we only need one dumb GM to think he's worth trading for.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I agree, it's hard to watch how the guy has performed this year and think he's not legit, but we've really only been privy to a couple hundred at-bats and they happen to be some of his most impressive at-bats as a professional. I have a feeling if he's still around this time next year, especially if he's a starter, people will be complaining that we didn't trade him while his value was high. That said, we don't have to trade him this offseason and I'd still love him off the bench, but if we can get something valuable for him or include him in a package for an impact player, this offseason will be a good time to move him. Reminds me a lot of the Scott Podsednik situation, although Pods did get a lot more playing time to prove himself before he was moved for El Caballo.

This is the perfect opportunity for Doug to sell high.
Doug could try and sell high but I doubt there will be that many GM's lining up to trade for McGehee. It is easy to say Doug should sell high on McGehee yeah Doug could do that but Doug still needs to find a buyer to buy high on someone like McGehee.

Casey's OPS had never been this high (or even close) in the minors, and we've already got a lot of depth in our infielder. This is the perfect opportunity for Doug to sell high.
I don't believe any GM will be fooled by a 300 plate appearance performance. A similar example might be Melvin Mora who was trade mid season at age 28 by the Mets along with 3 other players for Mike Bordick.

I think it's best to keep McGehee unless he's part of a package of players in a big trade. I like this infield for 2010: Prince,Weeks, Escobar, Gamel, McGehee, Counsell.

Two words: Pat Listach

Don't even talk to me about this guy until he's proven himself. If I'm another team I sure don't want him--way too risky. If he hits .290 with 25 HRs next year in fulltime duty with very few games lost with injuries then I'll have something to discuss.

Doug could try and sell high but I doubt there will be that many GM's lining up to trade for McGehee. It is easy to say Doug should sell high on McGehee yeah Doug could do that but Doug still needs to find a buyer to buy high on someone like McGehee.
We don't need a line of GM's bidding for Casey, just one. As pointed out earlier, a team like Florida would be at least interested in a cheap option at third coming off a solid rookie year. We're not gonna get a #3 starter for McGehee, but I think a buy low candidate or mid-level prospect is a possibility. Anibal Sanchez is a guy I'd target, but he'd probably require more than just McGehee.
I don't believe any GM will be fooled by a 300 plate appearance performance. A similar example might be Melvin Mora who was trade mid season at age 28 by the Mets along with 3 other players for Mike Bordick.
There are GM's out there who have been fooled by small samples (the Angels giving Gary Matthews Jr. $50 million for a career year comes to mind). Also, in the process in achieving a sizable sample, McGehee lessens one of his biggest assets, being cheap.

The Brewers are dying for Gamel's LH bat, although Gamel has killed lefty's this year.

Adam Heether could potentially be McGehee next year, just need to add him to the 40-man. Heether has multiple position flexibility as well, including shortstop and a bit of OF.

Thanks for 2009, Casey. You'll be elsewhere next year, hopefully as part of a profitable deal.

Thanks for 2009, Casey. You'll be elsewhere next year, hopefully as part of a profitable deal

Well-put, Mass Haas. I guess that's exactly how I feel about him. I'd like to respond to a point made in a Transactions forum thread here, since my response is off-topic for that thread:

Hardy will be shown the door. Counsell is one year older, I doubt he can repeat what he did this year. What is Rickie's next injury? I say this because I think the Brewers depth in the infield is illusory.

I think that's an interesting discussion, taking injuries/durability into account. I agree Hardy is all but guaranteed to be gone this winter, so that leaves:

Fielder

Lopez

Weeks

Counsell

Iribarren

Heether

Escobar

Gamel

McGehee

While there are durability concerns with Weeks, Counsell, and McGehee, I actually think our depth is still quite good. I'd really like to see Lopez offered (& accept) arbitration, since Weeks probably won't be 100% by the start of the season. True recovery time from his injury & procedure is appx. one full year, which was almost to the day when he started hitting again in 2008. I think Lopez would be a good player to retain, as the Brewers would really be able to get him a good amount of PAs early on in 2010. He'd be able to give Weeks a lot of off-days, esp. against RHP, to keep Rickie fresh, and Lopez could also see a lot of PH duty. The relative abundance of PAs would also allow the Crew to showcase him for other teams. There will always be a trade market for a guy of Lopez's skill & position on an affordable one-year deal.

As stated in this thread, McGehee's unlikely to sustain this level of success beyond '09. Mass Haas also makes a good point on Heether, whose versatility actually gives him a chance to be even more valuable than McGehee. With a starting IF of Gamel--Escobar--Weeks--Fielder as the plan through 2010, and with reserves in place like Counsell, Heether, Lopez, & Iribarren, I think the Brewers' IF depth is rather strong. I also think that means this offseason will be the ideal time to deal McGehee.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

As much as I like Counsell, I think we need to move on. Adam Heether is cheaper and younger and can play the same positions. I'd offer Lopez arby, if he takes it, great, if not, we get the picks. I think ideally I'd say Gamel, Escobar, Weeks, Fielder, Heether, McGehee. If we trade Fielder, then Gamel, Escobar, Weeks, McGehee, Heether and Lopez. The only problem with having both Weeks and Lopez is who plays and who sits?

I like Irabarren but there is just no room for him. If we can't trade him, I'd say play him in center for Nashville all year.

But if you let Counsell go, & Lopez is retained & then eventually dealt (which is what I think will happen) there is most certainly room for Iribarren, a LH bat that can play 2B. That's Weeks's days off right there.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Keep McGehee I think they will let Lopez go. Does not make sense to keep Lopez and Weeks. If they offer arby to Lopez, Weeks becomes trade fodder unless he moves to center or RF, which he will whine about. I dig McGehee in the back-up corner role against lefties (2b, 3B, inter-DH, 3 starts at first), again getting 300 AB's.

Archived